This page is an overview of creating accessible PowerPoint using Microsoft PowerPoint. Accessible PowerPoint allows information to be readily available for assistive technology. Screen readers can easily navigate the content when accessibility is considered during the design process. This will not only benefit people with disabilities, but overall usability will improve for all users.
Video Presentation in Panopto
- Use your CSUN username and password to watch PowerPoint Essentials in the Panopto.
- Watch other UDC Training Videos
- Creating Accessible PowerPoint Essentials (Windows, pdf)
- Creating Accessible PowerPoint Essentials (Mac, pdf)
- Google Slides Accessibility
- PowerPoint Designing with Accessibility
- Document Learning Tools
Video Credit: The University of Alabama, Technology Accessibility - Creating Accessible PowerPoint Presentations (total length 53:08 mins)
Creating Accessible PowerPoint Presentations Segmented Videos
- Accessibility Checker (start time: 3:33)
- Built-in Styles and Templates (start time: 8:58)
- Slides Reading Order (start time: 11:53)
- New Slide and Unique Title (start time 21:01)
- Outline View (start time: 23:27)
- Hyperlinks (start time: 24:56)
- Images Alternative Text (Alt Text) (start time: 28:28)
- Color Contrast (start time: 36:24)
- General Tips (start time: 40:38)
- Converting to PDF (start time: 44:04)
- Avoid Print to PDF (start time: 49:25)
- PDF Accessibility Checker (start time: 50:19)
- Always add accessibility to a PowerPoint during the design/creation process. Do not wait until the end to add accessibility.
- Consider readability for content development.
- Use the Accessibility Checker to scan your presentations.
- Save the file name with dashes or underscores between words such as PowerPoint-Essentials-2018.pptx or PowerPoint_Essentials_2018.pptx
- Best practice is to convert a PowerPoint to a PDF for enhanced mobility and accessibility.
- WebAIM PowerPoint Accessibility
- Microsoft PowerPoint Cheatsheet
- Microsoft Support on PowerPoint Presentations Accessible
- PowerPoint 2013 & 2016: Designing Accessible Presentations
- PowerPoint Accessibility
- Making Accessible PDFs from PowerPoint