New for Fall 2022! Emphasis on course materials and academic papers.
In 2021-22, the Universal Design Center (UDC) conducted a pilot with select departments to train their student employees in making documents accessible. The pilot was a success, so for 2022-23 we are pleased to offer this program to all CSUN departments.
Goals for this program include:
- Increase the availability of accessible documents at CSUN.
- Provide a cost-effective, scalable option for departments to get assistance with inaccessible document files.
- Introduce student employees to accessibility as an aspect of diversity, equity and inclusion.
- Train student employees in the skills of both evaluating and remediating multiple file formats.
Upon completion, student employees will be able to create, evaluate and, if needed, fix Word, PowerPoint and PDF documents.
The Fall training will be held in October 2022 and takes approximately 20 hours to complete. An important component will be WebAIM's Accessible Document Training, offered courtesy of Information Technology. This on-demand (asynchronous) component of the training should take less than 12 hours. In parallel, the cohort will meet — in person — with the UDC team for five Friday afternoons, for a total of 7.5 hours.
Fall 2022 Schedule
Supervisors' Orientation - September 2022
|1||Sept. 30, 2-3:30pm||Introduction||1. Document Content||none|
|2||Oct. 7, 2-3:30pm||Descriptive Text||2. Document Structure||none|
|3||Oct. 14, 2-3:30pm||Evaluating documents (Word)||3. Evaluating Accessibility & Creating PDFs||Evaluating a document|
|4||Oct. 21, 2-3:30pm||Evaluating documents (PDF)||4. Optimizing PDFs in Acrobat||Evaluating a document OR Fixing a document|
|5||Oct. 28, 2-3:30pm||Conclusion||none||Fixing a document|
Available for Windows and Mac
- Microsoft Office: Word and PowerPoint
- Adobe Creative Cloud: Adobe Acrobat Professional DC
- Colour Contrast Analyser
- WAVE-Web Accessibility Evaluation Tool
- Grayscale the Web or Penguinium (optional)
Please contact us if your department would be interested in joining the Spring 2023 cohort.