An international first-time freshman is a student applying to a bachelor's degree program who has not completed any post-secondary course work at a college or university.
Explore CSUN Bachelor's Degree Programs.
International applicants to CSUN are required to submit the following:
- Complete the “International Online Application” at CSUMentor. Please read the instructions carefully and complete all appropriate sections.
- A $55.00 (US currency) non-refundable processing fee payable to CSUN must accompany your application.
- Affidavit of Financial Support (.pdf) and bank statement. Both pages of the financial affidavit and the bank statement may be emailed to your International Admissions advisor.
- Original or certified copies of all OFFICIAL secondary-school records including certificates, examination grades, degrees or diplomas in original language of issue. Your records must include official verification of high school completion. Do not fax academic records.
- Official English translations of all academic records including certificates, degrees or diplomas. Do not fax translations.
- Applicants who have studied in the U.S. are also required to have the U.S. institution(s) send official transcript(s) directly to CSUN.
- Send all OFFICIAL transcripts and translations directly to:
CSUN - Admissions and Records
Attention: International Admissions
18111 Nordhoff Street
Northridge, CA 91330-8207
- Submit a copy of your passport information page with your documents.
- Results of the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or other acceptable test (see table below). Scores must be sent directly to CSUN from the testing agency.
English Language Requirement
The English language tests and minimum scores listed in the table below are accepted by CSUN for undergraduate applicants.
|Test Name |
|Minimum Score Required for Undergraduate Students||Send Score Directly To CSUN|
|IELTS - International English Language Test System|
6.0 or higher*
|Have IELTS send a copy of your Test Report Form to CSUN.|
|iTEP Academic - International Test of English Proficiency||5.0 or higher||Have iTEP send your score to CSUN.|
|PTE Academic - Pearson’s Test of English||45 or higher||Online through your PTE Academic Account.|
|TOEFL - Test of English as a Foreign Language||— Computer-based score: 173|
— Internet Based score: 61
— Paper-based score: 500
|Use CSUN School Code 4707.|
*Beginning with admission to the Fall 2015 semester, the minimum required IELTS score is 6.0.
If a freshman applicant has attended a high school in the U.S. for three or more years, or has attended a school where English is the principal language of instruction for three or more years, the TOEFL or other English language exam may not be required. If you have any questions, contact an International Admissions advisor.
CSUN Intensive English Program and Conditional Admission:
An Intensive English Program (IEP) is offered through CSUN’s Tseng College of Extended Learning. The International Admissions Office works closely with the IEP office to offer "conditional admission" to academically eligible students enrolled in the IEP. We guarantee admission to the university once these students have completed the English language requirement (TOEFL or other acceptable test). Read more at Intensive English and University Pathways.
After You Apply
After you have applied to CSUN, make sure the rest of your admissions process goes smoothly.
- Watch for a letter in the mail from CSUN Admissions and Records confirming our receipt of your online CSUMentor application two to four weeks after you apply. The letter will contain your:
- Nine-digit CSUN student identification number
- CSUN User ID and Initial Password
- Instructions to set up your CSUN account through myNorthridge Portal. See also account activation instructions.
- Check your application status. Log into myNorthridge Portal, locate “My Checklist," and review your complete and incomplete tasks such as missing transcripts. For help with the portal, see the How To Guides.
- Check often for CSUN correspondence sent to your CSUN email address, by regular mail, and in myNorthridge Portal ("My Announcements").
You will be notified by the Office of International Admissions of your admissibility to the university. If you are admitted, you'll need to take a few more steps. See Admitted International Students.