Current Students

Enrollment Programs

The special enrollment programs described here are listed in alphabetical order. Before you enroll in courses at another school, consult your home campus academic advisor to determine how such courses may fulfill your specific degree program requirements. Additionally, if you are receiving financial aid, see Special Groups.

Advancing Student Achievement Program (ASAP)

The Advancing Student Achievement Program (ASAP) is one of the non-degree programs offered through the Tseng College of Graduate, International and Midcareer Education. Together, ASAP and Open University (refer to “O” below) provide access to CSUN's amazing faculty, classes and resources for visitors and former CSUN students alike.

ASAP is designed to support former CSUN students in making an academic comeback — alumni, students who left before degree completion and those in any academic standing. Choose from:

Things to Note:

  • To enroll in each course, you must obtain a permission number from the instructor or academic department.
  • The number of units that may be taken as a non-degree student and transferred toward a future degree is limited and varies for undergraduate and graduate students.

Learn more at Advancing Student Achievement Program and Non-degree Students.

Associate Degree for Transfer (ADT / STAR Act / SB 1440)

The Associate Degree for Transfer (ADT) program was established through the Student Transfer Achievement Reform (STAR) Act (California Senate Bill 1440). The ADT is designed especially for transfer from the California Community Colleges to the California State University (CSU). The ADT can be earned in the arts (an AA-T) or the sciences (an AS-T).

California community college students who have earned a verified ADT in a major that has been approved for transfer by the CSU campus they plan to attend will:

  • Receive priority admission to the CSU
  • Be guaranteed junior standing as long as they meet all admission eligibility requirements
  • Be able to complete the approved major and bachelor's degree in only 60 additional units

Before applying for admission to California State University, Northridge with an Associate Degree for Transfer (AA-T or AS-T), verify that the community college major you've chosen matches one at CSUN. 

Helpful:  Apply to CSUN with an Associate Degree for Transfer

California Cross Enrollment

Undergraduate students enrolled at CSUN may enroll without formal admission and without payment of an additional Tuition Fee in one course each academic term at a campus of the University of California or participating campuses of the California Community Colleges on a space available basis. Before cross-enrolling, confirm that the host campus is participating in the California Cross Enrollment Program. For a Cross Enrollment application and instructions, see Student Forms. Financial Aid recipients, see Special Groups.

California Promise

Starting fall 2017, students admitted to CSUN with a verifiable Associate Degree for Transfer are invited to participate in the California Promise Program and take the Two-Year Pledge to complete their bachelor’s degree in two more college years at a rate of 30 units per year including summer and winter terms.

Participants will receive priority registration for each state-supported enrollment period along with routine and thorough academic advisement. For program details, requirements, qualifications and the pledge form, visit CSUN’s California Promise Program.

Concurrent Enrollment

Undergraduate students may be simultaneously registered at CSUN and another accredited institution if the combined enrollment does not exceed 16 units. Students enrolling concurrently should be aware of the policies governing acceptance of transfer credits. Concurrent enrollment at another institution should not be confused with the "Intrasystem Concurrent Enrollment Program" offered among the 23 California State University (CSU) campuses. Read more under "I" below. For procedures and regulations, contact Records and Registration.

CSU Fully Online Courses (Cross-Campus Online Concurrent Enrollment)

The “CSU Fully Online Courses” Program allows eligible, matriculated students at any California State Universities (CSU) to enroll in one fully-online course per semester at any other CSU. The goal is to provide access to the classes needed to graduate. Students enroll at their home campus and a host campus at the same time.


  • Choose from hundreds of fully online classes offered by the 23 CSUs at CSU Fully Online Courses.
  • Credit and the grade earned in the the other CSU's fully-online course are automatically reported to your home campus and included in your permanent academic record.

Getting Started


If you're planning to take a fully-online course at another CSU this fall or spring semester, follow these steps:

  1. Check your eligibility at CSU Fully Online Courses.
  2. Before enrolling, check with your academic advisor to ensure that the course will apply to your CSUN degree requirements. Also make sure a fully-online course is right for you.
  3. Note the enrollment dates in the course description; they may vary for each campus. 
  4. Look for any prerequisites in the course descriptions; you'll be asked if you meet prerequisites when you enroll online.
  5. Choose a few desired fully online courses because some of them may be closed by the time you enroll, and only open courses with available seats will display in your portal.
  6. Log in to the CSUN Portal to request enrollment from the host campus. For help, visit How to Enroll in CSU Fully Online Courses

Be sure to download, review and save the host CSU's "welcome letter in PDF" for important dates and contact information you may need.


If your home campus is another CSU and you wish to enroll in a fully online class at CSUN, please:

CSUN Connections (Reverse Transfer)

CSUN Connections is a partnership between California State University, Northridge (CSUN), LA Mission College, LA Pierce College and LA Valley College to streamline student transfer across these four institutions in order to help eligible undergraduates reach a degree more efficiently. Also known as “reverse transfer,” CSUN Connections allows students to transfer credits earned at CSUN to one of the three partnering community colleges to complete an associate degree before returning to CSUN.

Students who may have gotten off-track can benefit from two distinct CSUN Connections pathways:

  1. Claim What You’ve Earned – For students who can combine their CSUN course work with credits earned across multiple colleges and universities to receive an associate degree at a partnering community college, either right away or in just a few more units.
  2. Reroute to Success – For first-time freshmen who have been disqualified from CSUN. Students who go on to earn an Associate Degree for Transfer (AA-T or AS-T) at a partnering community college will be guaranteed readmission to CSUN. 

For the name of the special academic advisor at each school, pathway links, and FAQs, please visit CSUN Connections.

Enrollment in Courses after Graduation

Students interested in enrolling in courses after completing their bachelor's degree at CSUN must file a university application for graduate admission. There is a $70.00 fee payable inside Cal State Apply in order to submit the application. Because graduate programs are selective, students should review the admission requirements for the master's or doctoral program of interest and seek advice from the graduate program coordinator or from the CSUN Credential Office. The application closing dates will vary by individual graduate program; please check the CSUN Admissions Calendar.

International Study Abroad (CSU IP) Programs at CSUN

The California State University International Programs (CSU IP) offers opportunities for full-time students to pursue their studies abroad at affiliated host institutions in one of 18 countries. CSU IP participants are concurrently enrolled at CSUN, where they earn resident academic credit for their overseas studies. To be eligible, students must be enrolled at a CSU campus (or be eligible to enroll from a California Community College), have a cumulative GPA of 2.75 or 3.0 depending on the program, have upper division or graduate standing by departure, and have the necessary academic preparation including college-level foreign language study for some countries.

To learn more and sign up for a workshop, contact the International & Exchange Student Center (IESC), University Student Union Building C, at (818) 677-3053; or visit the IESC website Study Abroad. Read about transferring course work at Before You Study Abroad.

Once accepted to CSU IP, students follow the instructions for fee payment forwarded to them by the CSU Office of International Programs. Contact IESC for more information. Financial Aid recipients, see Special Groups.

Intrasystem Concurrent Enrollment Program

The Intrasystem Concurrent Enrollment program permits students to enroll in classes on a space-available basis at CSUN and another CSU campus simultaneously. There is no limit to the number of times a student may enter this program as long as an application is filed each semester within the application deadlines outlined by the host campus. For the "Intrasystem Concurrent Enrollment Application and Instructions," go to Student Forms.

Intrasystem Visitor Program

The Intrasystem Visitor Program allows continuing CSUN students to enroll in one term at another CSU campus. Outgoing CSUN students should make arrangements with the CSUN Office of the Registrar (Records and Registration) within the application deadlines outlined by the host campus. For the "Intrasystem Visitor Program Application and Instructions," go to Student Forms.

National Student Exchange

The National Student Exchange (NSE) provides full-time CSUN students with an opportunity to attend one of more than 190 other colleges and universities across the United States, U.S. territories and some Canadian provinces, usually at a cost similar to what they would pay to attend CSUN. NSE offers students the opportunity to experience college life and course work in a new location for a semester or year, to live in another regional culture, and to travel. If eligible, students can apply for Financial Aid. Undergraduate students are eligible to apply for NSE if they are currently enrolled, attend full-time, and have a minimum GPA of 2.5. Students may apply at all undergraduate class levels (freshman, sophomore, junior or senior). Graduate students should discuss NSE with their graduate program coordinator.

To learn more and sign up for a workshop, CSUN students should contact the International & Exchange Student Center, University Student Union Building C, at (818) 677-3053; or visit the IESC website at National Student Exchange.

Incoming NSE students to CSUN who have been accepted on Plan A (paying CSUN's tuition and other fees) will be able to view their student account information and financial aid online in the CSUN Portal when they activate their CSUN user ID and password. Incoming and outgoing NSE students receiving financial aid should review CSUN's NSE Financial Aid information.

Open University

Open University, operated through the Tseng College of Graduate, International and Midcareer Education, provides access to CSUN's amazing faculty, classes and resources for anyone — community members, professionals or international and domestic visitors who have never have been enrolled in a CSUN degree program. Choose from:

Participants must obtain a permission number from the instructor or academic department to enroll in a class. Additionally, the number of units that can be taken as a non-matriculated student and applied toward a degree is limited and varies for undergraduate and graduate students.

Learn more at Open University and Non-degree Students.

Pathways to Excellence (P2E)

The Pathways to Excellence Program (formerly Early Start) is offered by all California State University (CSU) campuses to admitted first-time freshmen to prepare for their first year of college. At CSUN, the program begins in the summer before students’ first fall semester, provides a transition into university life and supports student success.

For summer 2024, CSUN’s Pathways to Excellence (P2E) program introduces incoming freshmen to university resources, provides technology support, and builds community with CSUN student peer mentors, faculty, staff and fellow classmates. In addition to discovering what it’s like to be in a university classroom, students will build a foundation for their major (or Exploratory):

  • New freshmen majoring in a STEM field (science, technology, engineering or mathematics) will have the opportunity to place into a higher-level math class in the fall.
  • New freshmen majoring in non-STEM fields will attend workshops and panels for career exploration, time management, navigating CSUN’s web-based tools and more.

A variety of P2E summer 2024 schedules is available. While this summer’s program does not offer college credit, it is free of charge to participants. Learn more and sign up at Pathways to Excellence at CSUN.

Veterans and Dependents

Student veterans seeking education allowances under provisions of any Veterans Act must be eligible with the Veterans Administration to receive benefits. All students wishing to draw benefits who are enrolled for any term must have their current program on file with the CSUN Veterans Affairs Office. This rule applies each time you register with the University. For additional information, visit the CSUN Veterans Affairs Office in Bayramian Hall 150, or call (818) 677-5928.

Veteran's dependent. Visit the California Department of Veterans Affairs College Fee Waiver website for eligibility requirements and an application. Once approved, submit the Waiver Authorization letter to the CSUN Veterans Affairs Office. Pay all mandatory campus-based fees (if applicable) at University Cash Services before the payment deadlines. Veterans' dependents will be responsible for all applicable mandatory campus-based fees except for the Tuition Fee. For more information, contact the CSUN Veterans Affairs Office.

Additional financial aid and sponsorship information is available at:

Western Undergraduate Exchange (WUE)

California State University, Northridge (CSUN) is a participating member of the Western Undergraduate Exchange (WUE), a program of the Western Interstate Commission for Higher Education (WICHE). Through WUE, students in western states and two U.S. insular areas may enroll in two-year and four-year, undergraduate college programs at a reduced tuition level (150 percent of the institution's regular resident tuition).

If you are a resident of one of the WUE participating member states or insular areas and you are interested in attending CSUN at the reduced tuition level, please:

  • Review eligibility requirements and conditions for enrollment
  • Complete and submit the WUE Contract Form

For more information including a list of participating states, the insular areas, and the contract form, see WUE at CSUN.