User ID and Password
Activating Your Account
Your network account is your gateway to access key applications and resources such as email, the CSUN Portal, SOLAR and network storage space. Full and part-time students, faculty and staff members can obtain a CSUN user ID and password.
Students - After You Apply
Follow the instructions below to activate your CSUN account:
1. After you have applied to CSUN via Cal State Apply, you will receive an “Activate Your CSUN Account” email from the Office of Admissions sent to the address you provided in your online application. You should receive the email within one or two days of applying.
- Visit the link in the email to authenticate your identity and obtain a temporary password.
- Visit the CSUN Portal Login and enter your user ID and temporary password.
- Follow the subsequent instructions to activate your user ID and set a new password.
2. Once you’ve activated your CSUN email and CSUN Portal account, be sure to check them regularly so you don’t miss important information. The university will communicate with you through the portal and CSUN Gmail.
3. You can forward your CSUN email to a personal inbox, but be sure to add the CSUN senders’ email addresses to your contact list so the messages aren’t filtered as spam.
We recommend setting up automatic forwarding through your CSUN email account, where you’ll have the option to “Keep Gmail’s copy in the inbox.” Then, if a forwarded message is lost, you can still read the stored copy in CSUN email. Visit Gmail Help: Forwarding mail to another email account automatically.
For account activation details, visit After You Apply.
Need help? Try the options at CSUN Account Information.
- Your CSUN user ID and password will be issued when you sign–in with Human Resources. If you have not already done so, bring your completed New Employee Sign–In Form to the Human Resources office located in Room 165 of the University Hall building. The sign–in hours at Human Resources are Monday through Friday, 9:00 AM to 4:00 PM. For help locating University Hall, please view the CSUN Maps.
- Visit the CSUN Login page, and enter your User ID and Initial Password.
- Follow the subsequent instructions to activate your User ID and Password.
Faculty Temporary User ID and Password
A temporary CSUN user ID and password can be issued to faculty members who:
- Have accepted formal offers to work for the university, and...
- Have not yet started teaching at the university (i.e., your start date is a future date)
- Are sponsored by their department chair's office (this does not have to be your department chair) to have a temporary faculty account
To request a temporary CSUN user ID and password, please have an administrator working in your department chair's office send an email to the IT Help Center with the following information:
- The complete name, telephone number and email address of your sponsor
- Your complete legal name
- Your start date
- Your nine-digit CSUN ID number (if available)
- Your non-CSUN email address (so that we have a way to contact you before your account is set up)
- Your off-campus telephone number (this is not required but is useful if we need to contact you for any clarifications or additional information)
- Your CSUN user ID and password will be issued when you sign in with Human Resources. If you have not already done so, bring your completed New Employee Sign-In form to the Human Resources office located in Room 165 of Valera Hall. The sign-in hours at Human Resources are Monday through Friday, 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. For help locating Valera Hall, visit CSUN Maps.
- Visit the CSUN Login page and enter your user ID and initial password.
- Follow the subsequent instructions to activate your user ID and password.
To obtain a guest user ID and password, have an active employee submit a request to the IT Help Center.
Forgot Your User ID?
Visit the Forgot User ID page.
Visit the Forgot My Password page to request a temporary code. Use this code to log in. You will then be prompted to change your password. If you need additional assistance, contact the IT Help Center by phone at (818) 677–1400 or stop by in person (University Library, first floor, Learning Commons). Note: For security reasons, the Help Center is unable to reset your password via email.
Need to Change Your Password?
Visit the Change My Password page and enter your CSUN user ID and current password.
When creating your new password it:
- Can contain any number of alphabetic characters, numbers, capital letters or special characters.
- Can contain a combination of words from the dictionary.
- Must be a minimum of 12 characters – we suggest as long as possible.
- Cannot contain your first or last name, or CSUN userID.
- Must not be one of the last 12 CSUN passwords you have used.
Need to Enroll In Duo?
Multi-factor authentication adds a second layer of security to your online accounts. To enroll in Duo, visit the Duo page.
Steps for updating your password will vary. Please refer to your manufacturer’s documentation.