How to Apply

Begin your journey to becoming a Matador today! Whether you’re coming from our own backyard or across the globe, we can’t wait for you to join us. Study alongside passionate, tenacious peers and learn from talented, supportive faculty. Be part of a community that wants to change the world — each of us in our own way, and collectively. Whether you’re going to be an undergraduate or graduate student, we’re here to help you take your next bold step.

Cal State Apply

We use Cal State Apply, the California State University system’s common application. While the application looks a bit different depending on what type of student you are, every CSUN applicant will:

  1. Create an Account: The first time you visit, you’ll need to create a Cal State Apply account. For the best timing, visit Application Dates & Deadlines.
  2. Complete Your Profile: You’ll fill out some basic information before starting your application.
  3. Start Your Application: Select CSU Northridge, the major or program you’re interested in, and your desired start term.
  4. Gather Information and Materials: What’s required — transcripts, test scores, schedules — will depend on your program. Review what’s required and make sure you have everything you need to complete your application.
  5. Review and Submit Your Application: Fill out the required fields and sections, review your application carefully, pay the $70 application fee and submit. Note: If you qualify for a fee waiver, the application will automatically let you know at the time you submit.

Start Your Application

How to Apply as A...

For more specific information about your application process and admission requirements, select the type of student you are below.

You're a first-time freshman if one of the following applies:

  • You're on track to graduate high school by the spring of your senior year.
  • You've received your high school diploma but have not taken any college courses following your high school graduation.
  • You have earned a certificate for one of the California state high school proficiency exams — General Education Development (GED) or High School Equivalency Test (HiSET) — and you have completed the A to G college preparatory subjects.

More First-Time Freshman Admissions Info

You are an eligible transfer student if all of the following apply:

  • You have a minimum of 60 transferable semester units (or 90 quarter units) with a GPA of 2.0 or better. Note: GPA requirements may be higher for non-local-area applicants or for competitive majors.
  • You're in good standing with the last college or university you attended.
  • You've earned a C- or better in each of the CSU General Education courses — known as the "Golden Four" or "Basic Skills" — in:
    • Written Communication
    • Mathematics/Quantitative Reasoning
    • Critical Thinking
    • Oral Communication

Note: If you're applying as an engineering or computer science major, you do not need to complete a critical thinking course prior to admission.

More Transfer Admissions Info

If you've earned a bachelor's degree, explore our graduate programs to find the master's degree, doctorate, credential or certificate that's right for you and your goals. Requirements vary significantly by program, so you'll need to:

  1. Check the specific program you're interested in for special requirements, supplemental application materials, deadlines and openings.
  2. Complete your application via Cal State Apply.

More Graduate Admissions Info

We’re so glad you are considering a return to CSUN. Whether you’ve been gone for a few semesters or several years, your decision to return reflects the kind of persistence and resilience we admire.

Your path back to CSUN depends on:

  • Whether you're a returning undergraduate or graduate student
  • Whether you left in good standing and have not enrolled for three consecutive semesters, or you were previously disqualified

See Returning Student Admissions Details

As an international student — whether a first-time freshman, transfer, returning or graduate student — you'll need to complete an application from Cal State Apply. Depending on your circumstances and desired program, you may also need to provide:

  • Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or other acceptable test results
  • An affidavit of financial support and bank statement
  • English translations of transcripts and official documents
  • J-1 or F-1 Visa information
  • A copy of your passport photo page

More International Admissions Details

We're proud of your service to our country, and we're ready to serve you while you pursue your educational goals. In addition to our standard application process for first-time freshmen, transfer or graduate students, you'll need to submit a Certificate of Eligibility and any Joint Services Transcripts. Our Office of Veterans Affairs will review your documents and guide you through the process.

More Veterans Admissions Info

In addition to our many bachelor, master and doctoral degrees, we offer programs for non-CSUN students, international learners and midcareer working professionals. Our non-degree offerings are run through our Tseng College of Graduate, International and Midcareer Education and application requirements differ by program.

More Non-Degree Programs Info

Join the largest community of Deaf and hard-of-hearing college students on the West Coast! As a Deaf or hard-of-hearing student, you'll apply through Cal State Apply based on your student type — first-time freshman, transfer, international, etc. But you'll also complete a supplemental application through our NCOD: Deaf and Hard of Hearing Services.

Visit NCOD to Learn More

The Educational Opportunity Program (EOP) provides services to historically low-income, historically educationally disadvantaged, first-generation college students. In addition to completing the CSU and EOP application on Cal State Apply, prospective students may need to provide proof of financial eligibility and supporting documents. For additional information, please visit our EOP Admissions page.

two CSUN students reviewing notes

Special Enrollment Programs

As a California community college student, you may have a fast track to enroll at CSUN. As a current or prospective CSUN student, you may be eligible to take courses at other California schools. See what opportunities await you.

Scroll back to the top of the page