About Admission Appeals
Admission decisions at California State University, Northridge (CSUN) are based on our verification that the applicant's self-reported academic information meets admission eligibility requirements. CSUN may provisionally admit applicants until all eligibility requirements and deadlines have been met and verified with the appropriate documentation. Read more at provisional admission.
The appeal process depends on your student group:
- If you are an undergraduate applicant—a freshman or transfer student—follow the steps on this page to prepare your admission appeal packet.
- If you are a graduate applicant, please contact the academic department to which you are applying to request an admissions appeal decision. Both the Office of Admissions as well as the Office of Graduate Studies defer to the specific department to which an applicant is applying to make the ultimate admissions decision. We wish you the best of luck in your journey.
Please note that applicants can file only one admission appeal per academic term. The decisions we render are final and non-negotiable for that term.
Appeal Process for Undergraduate Students
To appeal your admission status or missed deadline(s), follow the steps below to prepare one packet that includes your Admission Appeal Cover Sheet, letter of appeal, and supporting documents. Incomplete appeals will not be considered.
STEP 1: Download, complete, print and then sign and date the Admission Appeal Cover Sheet (.pdf). Enclose it in your appeal packet with your letter of appeal and supporting documents.
STEP 2: Write your letter of appeal. Your letter must explain the basis for your request and describe (1) how you meet the admissions criteria, or (2) how an extenuating circumstance prevented you from meeting a deadline. Be sure to:
- Clearly explain your reasons for the appeal and provide supporting details.
- Describe how you meet the admissions requirements.
- Describe any extenuating circumstances (e.g., military service, family crisis) that prevented you from meeting a deadline.
- Provide your complete student contact information (see Step 3 below).
STEP 3: Your letter must also include complete student contact information, including:
- Full name
- CSUN 9-digit student ID number (if known)
- Mailing address
- Phone number for messages
- Email address* - We will email our response to you.
*Please verify that the email address you provide appears in your myNorthridge Portal account. Log into myNorthridge with your CSUN user ID and password, select the "Home" tab, and in the Quick Links box, click myCSUNprofile.
STEP 4: Enclose supporting documents in your appeal packet, for example:
- Copies of your transcripts (official preferred), both graded course work and work-in-progress
- Documentation supporting the extenuating circumstance(s) you described in your letter of appeal
- Note: Please do not submit letters of recommendation or copies of awarded honors.
STEP 5: Please submit your completed appeal packet within 15 business days from the date you received notice that your request for admission was denied. There are three ways to deliver your appeal packet:
- To deliver by email, find your group below:
- First-Time Freshman Applicant - Please submit your appeal to:
- First-Time Transfer or Previously Disqualified Applicant - Please email your appeal to:
- Financial Appeals - Email your appeal with the Subject Line: Financial Appeal to:
- To deliver by regular mail:
Office of the Registrar, CSUN
ATTN: Admissions Appeals Committee
18111 Nordhoff St.
Northridge, CA 91330-8207
- To deliver in person:
Take your appeal packet to Records and Registration (formerly Admissions and Records), located in the Student Services Center, Bayramian Hall, first-floor lobby (BH Room 100).
Our Response Process
The Admissions Appeals Committee will make every effort to respond to your petition within 30 business days of receiving your appeal request. Appeal decisions will be communicated to you via your email account. Because many students may not be notified of the results of their appeal until a month before classes begin, we strongly encourage you to pursue the other higher education options available to you.
Thank you for your interest in attending CSUN.