The Hub

  • The Hub International
  • Globe with world flags and text reading Spring 2022 New International Student Academic Advisement Workshop: Meet your academic advisor, discuss spring 2022 schedule, and learn about CSUN policies. Registration link will be sent to your CSUN email.
  • Pre-Second Semester Success Workshop (PreSSS).Topics include: Navigating portal and enrollment, student success resources, transitioning to college/department Save the dates October 4th, 5th, 8th, 12th, &14th Check CSUN email for registration instructions

New F-1 International Student Academic Advisement

Welcome to The Hub-International!

Beginning August 30, 2021 The Hub- International is happy to offer a combination of virtual and limited on campus service hours. Please see the "Contact" information on the side bar for updated phone, email, and campus hours. For requirements to visit the CSUN campus, please see Matadors Forward - Health and SafetyTo reach the office after regular business hours or if you are a student studying from abroad, please email

Mission Statement

The Hub-International Academic Advisement Center provides comprehensive support and advisement services to all new F-1 international undergraduate students. Individualized services include early outreach, academic advisement, first-semester enrollment into degree applicable courses, university orientation and second-semester referrals. The foundational services we offer provide students with the tools and resources needed to be academically successful and have a positive transition into CSUN.

New F-1 Undergraduate International Student Academic Advisement Process

All new international students must complete Pre-Enrollment Steps 1-3, listed under "1st Semester Academic Advisement Instructions", to be enrolled into classes for the first semester. Students are also encouraged to explore the New International Student Advising Checklist, FAQ, and Important Dates and Deadlines for more information about their first semester.

1st Semester Academic Advisement Instructions

Complete Pre-Enrollment Steps #1-3 to begin the enrollment and academic advisement process.

Note: Students who have rolled their application over from a previous semester will need to complete the Pre-Enrollment Steps again.

  1. Not Anymore- Title IX TrainingTo maintain a safe environment all CSUN staff and students are required to complete Not Anymore(PDF) an online, violence prevention program. To complete this training please log into your MyNorthridge Student Portal and locate the link for "Not Anymore". If you need extra assistance view the Not Anymore how-to guide.
  2. Response QuestionnaireAll new international students are required to complete the New International Student Response Questionnaire. The Response Questionnaire informs us of your intent to attend CSUN and notifies us of your schedule preference/restrictions.
  3. New International Student Advisement Workshop- Once the Title IX Training and Response Questionnaire are complete, within 5-7 business days students will be sent an invitation to their CSUN email, with a link to schedule an advisement workshop appointment, where they can meet with their academic advisor and discuss their first semester schedule. 

Students who cannot attend an advisement workshop due to the time difference (while in a virtual environment), can review the first semester advisement processes and policies by completing the Online Pre-Enrollment Workshop

Health Insurance Requirement

All international students who are studying in the U.S. are required to purchase or submit proof of health insurance.

Health insurance is not included in your tuition. For information about how to purchase and submit proof of health insurance visit the International and Exchange Student Center (IESC). Students within the U.S. who do not purchase health insurance by the IESC established deadline will be at risk of being dropped from classes.

International New Student Orientation

All new international students are required to sign up for the New Student Orientation.

Orientation provides useful information about what to expect at CSUN, allows you to tour the campus, and helps you meet fellow international students. Go to NSO International to register. International freshman and transfer students are only required to go to the International Orientation. You are not required to go to any other orientation date.

First-Time International Student Advising Checklist

Spring 2022 Advising Checklist

New F-1 Undergraduate International Students

Download the spring 2022 F-1 International Advising Checklist (.pdf)

Welcome to California State University, Northridge (CSUN)! This advising checklist will guide you through the necessary steps toward a successful first semester at CSUN. Advising and registration for fall 2021 can begin as early as November 5, 2021. Be sure to read this checklist for important details about how to successfully transition to CSUN.


Set up your CSUN portal account and gmail as explained in the “Activate Your CSUN Account” email from Admissions and Records, this was sent to the email address you provided on your admission application. For help accessing your username and/or password visit the Information Technology Help Center. Remember to check your CSUN email account regularly!


To promote a culture of respect, raise awareness, and prevent sexual misconduct, all students must complete an online, video-based educational training program. This training must be complete before enrollment into classes by an advisor. The Not Anymore Training link can be found in your CSUN portal, under "MyChecklist". For assistance accessing the link view the Title IX- Not Anymore Training Tutorial.


The Response Questionnaire informs the international academic advisor of your intention to attend CSUN and lets them know your schedule preferences/restrictions, which they use as a guide when enrolling you into courses. This practice ensures that students have their most preferred schedule, while still being enrolled into degree applicable classes and having at least 12 units to meet their visa requirements. Completion of the Response Questionnaire is required for course enrollment.*

Attend the New International Student Academic Advisement Workshop

The New International Academic Advisement Workshop will allow you to meet with your academic advisor to review your schedule and discuss any of your questions/concerns. Invitations to schedule an appointment to attend a workshop will be sent once the Title IX Training and Response Questionnaire are complete. Students who cannot attend the Academic Advisement Workshop, due to the time difference while in a virtual advisement, can review the first semester advisement process and policies by completing the Online Pre-Enrollment Workshop

*WITHDRAWAL NOTICE: It is the sole responsibility of the student to notify International Admissions and the International Academic Advisor of their intent to withdraw from classes. Students should declare their intent to withdraw as early as possible, but no later than the Friday of week 4.  Failure to follow formal withdrawal procedures may result in an obligation to pay fees, the assignment of failing grades on your academic record, and the need to reapply for admission to CSUN.


Send your final official transcripts to CSUNs office of International Admissions as soon as your semester is complete. Transcripts can be mailed, sent electronically, or hand-delivered to CSUN. Freshmen and lower division transfer students must submit final high school transcripts and all students must submit final transcripts from any colleges attended. The document deadline for spring 2022 is November 15, 2021.


  • Math: All freshman students are recommended to take the Math Selection Assessment (MSA) to determine their placement in math for the first semester. Some transfer students may also be recommended to take the MSA based on their majors degree requirements. If you are recommended to take the MSA, information will be sent to your CSUN email after you have been enrolled in classes.
  • English/Writing: There are currently no writing placement exams offered by CSUN. If you have external placement exams or transfer work that may exempt you from the lower division writing requirement, please submit them to the office of International Admissions. The TOEFL/IELTS exam does not exempt international students from needing to take freshman composition.
  • Chemistry: Students in Engineering, Computer Science, Math, Health Sciences, or other science majors may need to take CHEM 100 or the Chemistry Placement Test (CPT) to enroll in CHEM 101/L. If you are interested in taking this exam you must register online before the semester begins and notify your advisor.


Review and become familiar with the tools that outline your degree requirements at CSUN.

  • The University Catalog list all major/degree requirements with course descriptions and explains vital information about university policies and procedures.
  • The Degree Progress Report (DPR)/Planner is an audit, which shows all of your completed course work and all of your remaining degree requirements at CSUN. The DPR is very useful in understanding how your specific course work has been applied towards your degree at CSUN.
  • The Degree Road Map outlines the recommended course sequence to complete each degree in two years for transfer students and four years for freshmen students. The Degree Road Map is a guideline and may not fit each student the same.


The New Student Orientation is mandatory. During this half-day virtual event, we will welcome you to the university, provide additional information to help you transition into CSUN, and provide an opportunity for you to meet fellow international students. International New Student Orientation is on January 20, 2022; you are not required to attend any other orientation days.


Tuition for first semester international students is due after enrollment in classes, but no later than January 28, 2022. You can pay tuition online through your portal, by wire transfer, or in person at Cash Services. For more information, visit Student Finance.


All international students will have an "International Advisement Required" hold on their account. The advisement hold requires you to consult with an academic advisor before making changes to your schedule. You are NOT required to get this hold removed.

All international students will have a "Foreign" hold on their account. The International & Exchange Student Center (IESC) places the “foreign” hold as part of your immigration requirements. For more information, visit CSUN Health Insurance Requirement.


All students must submit proof of immunization for the following:

  • Measles, Mumps and Rubella (MMR)
  • Hepatitis B (if under 18 years of age)

Additionally, all students must submit their Covid-19 Attestation through the myHealth patient portal along with one of the following:

  • Covid 19 Vaccine Record
  • Medical Exemption Request
  • Religious Exemption Request

For a step by step guide on how to submit proof of immunization, assistance with submitting proof of immunization, or to obtain any screenings visit the Klotz Student Health Center


  • Weekday classes begin Monday, January 24, 2022.
  • Saturday-only and Friday-Saturday classes begin Saturday, January 21, 2022.

For a complete list of 2021-2022, important dates, including holidays, visit the Academic Calendar.

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Class Enrollment

How do I enroll in classes for the first semester?

An advisor will enroll new F-1 international students into courses for their first semester, once Pre-Enrollment Steps #1-3 are complete. Once enrolled students will have the opportunity to review the schedule and request changes. To begin this process please click the drop down box labeled “1st Semester Academic Advisement Instructions”.

What happens if I complete the Pre-Enrollment Steps late?

Students who complete the Pre-Enrollment Steps late may be enrolled into courses that do not meet during their ideal schedule preference and/or may risk important major classes closing. Late is considered July/August for fall and December January for spring. Students who wait until after the semester begins to let us know they plan to attend may have to run for permission numbers to be enrolled into classes. Late enrollment via permission numbers is not guaranteed to be approved.

Am I required to make an academic advisement appointment for the first semester?

New students are highly encouraged to make a virtual academic advisement before the start of the semester, to meet with their academic advisor and review their class schedule. An invitation to attend the academic advisement workshop will be sent once all enrollment steps are complete. Completing the mandatory Online Pre-Enrollment Workshop can also cover important academic information new students should know. 

Can I choose my own classes?

Students are encouraged to review their Degree Progress Report (DPR) and the CSUN catalog to help them understand their degree requirements. Students who would like to select specific classes are welcome to discuss their course preferences with an academic advisor, who will review them for degree applicability, student eligibility, and course availability. Students may not be eligible for some major courses if they have prerequisite transfer work in progress, require course substitutions, or need to take any placement exams. Additionally, all students should plan to incorporate general education courses into their schedule, including transfer students who must take 9 units of upper division general education at CSUN. 

Do I need a hybrid class to study in the U.S.?

Students already in the U.S. before July 2020, who have not returned to their home country, are not required to enroll into a hybrid at this time. However, students who are currently outside the U.S. and need to reenter or new students applying to enter the U.S. for the first time are required to have at least 1 hybrid course. Please be aware that immigration requirements for spring 2022 are subject to change pending the covid-19 situation. Additionally while it is currently possible to study from abroad students are highly recommended to study from within the U.S. if possible. For updates regarding requirements to enter the U.S., please see important Information for International Students during Covid -19 or consult directly with a foreign advisor in the International and Exchange Student Center (IESC)

How are fully online classes conducted/How do I attend a fully online class?

CSUN currently offers a variety of fully online, hybrid, and fully on campus courses. For full details please review the Online Course Designations. Depending on the online class type of the course, students may be required to attend classes virtually via Zoom meetings, on campus, work independently, or a combination of these methods. Information on Zoom (video call) links, assignments, and quizzes will be sent out by the instructor via the students CSUN gmail and/or Canvas account. If a student has not received course information from their instructor via email or canvas by the time the semester begins they should email their instructor. Instructors contact information can be found by typing their name into the CSUN Directory.

When will my tuition be due once I am enrolled?

Tuition is due no later than the Friday of the first week of classes. You may see an earlier fee due date on your portal, however international students are given extra time to pay during their first semester. For tuition information, please visit Student Finance. If you need a print out of your personal tuition fees please call student finances at 818-677-8000 (choose option #2) or email Student Finance.

If I drop a class will I receive a refund?

Students are entitled to a refund only if there is a decrease in the number of units in which they are enrolled. Refunds are prorated after the start of the semester up until week 3. After week 3 students are not eligible for refunds due to partial schedule changes. More information on refunds can be found on the Student Refund webpage.

I have decided to withdraw or defer my admission to a future semester. What do I do?

Students who decide to completely withdraw or defer their admission after enrollment should notify International Admissions and email our International Academic Advisement Center as soon as possible, so that we can drop you from classes and so that enrollment fees can be removed from your account.


I have an International Advisement Required hold on my portal. What do I do?

The advisement hold for new international students will stay on for the first semester only. You DO NOT need to get this hold removed. This process is followed so that new international students consult with an academic advisor before adjusting their schedule; this guarantees that students maintain proper enrollment status. The International Advisement hold will be removed when it is time for students to register for the 2nd semester.

I have a Title 9 hold on my portal. What do I do?

To maintain a safe environment, CSUN staff and students are required to complete "Not Anymore" an online, video- based, violence prevention program. Students can complete this course, by clicking the "Not Anymore" link under incomplete task in their checklist. Once you complete the training, your hold should be lifted within 24 hours.

I have a Foreign hold on my portal. What do I do?

The International & Exchange Student Center (IESC) places the Foreign or “F” hold. The foreign hold is placed for proof of health insurance. Insurance is not included in your tuition. For more information on how to remove the foreign hold, please visit the IESC website.

I have an Immunization hold on my portal. What do I do?

The Klotz Student Health Center places the Immunization hold. The immunization hold is placed for proof of immunization for Rubella/Rubeola and/or Hepatitis B. Proof of immunization can be submitted through the myHealth patient portal. For a step by step guide on how to submit proof of immunization, assistance with submitting proof of immunization, or to obtain any screenings visit the Klotz Student Health Center. If proof is not received by the Health Center deadline a hold may be placed on your record, preventing enrollment in the following semesters classes.

I need to submit my covid-19 attestation, vaccine, and/or exemption request. What do I do?

The Klotz Student Health Center has created an online health portal for students who need to upload their attestation, proof of vaccination, and/or request for medical or religious exemption. For instructions please visit How to submit covid-19 vaccine requirements. Students who do not submit their covid-19 attestation via the online health portal will receive a registration hold on their account. For information about on campus health and safety guidelines please visit Matadors Forward.


Am I required to take a math placement exam?

All freshman are recommended to take the Math Selection Assessment (MSA). The MSA determines placement into pre-college math up to Calculus I. Students who do not take the MSA or are not exempt via transfer work or an external exams (AP, IB, GCE A-levels, etc.) may be placed into the lowest level math course. Some transfer students may also be recommended to take the MSA based on their major. Students will be notified by an academic advisor if they are required or recommended to take the MSA, which will be offered during the two weeks before school begins.

Am I required to take a writing/English placement exam?

CSUN currently does not offer a writing/English placement test. Freshman students are encouraged to take the SAT or ACT  to determine placement into freshman writing. Transfer students should transfer in with a freshman writing course. Students who do not transfer in with a writing course or are not exempt via an external exam (AP, IB, GCE, A-levels, etc.) will be placed into the two semester writing sequence. Please note the TOFEL and/or IELTS exam is not a writing placement test.

What is the upper division writing exam and when am I required to take it?

The UDWPE is an exam that all students were required to attempt by the semester in which they completed 75 units. The UDWPE requirement is temporarily suspended. Until the campus is able to offer the UDWPE exam, the upper division writing requirement can be fulfilled by earning a "C" or higher in 6 units of upper division GE. See the UDWPE webpage for more information.


How do I obtain my I-20?

The office of International Admissions distributes the initial I-20, once you transfer your sevis records. For questions regarding your initial I-20 please contact International Admissions.

Who do I contact regarding immigration issues (visa concerns, work request, concurrent enrollment, etc.)

The International and Exchange Student Center (IESC) is responsible for enforcing immigration requirements. Please make sure to complete the mandatory immigration requirements at IESC 6 steps for Immigration to reach an advisor visit IESC About Us.

My sponsor/embassy/cultural mission requires that I submit a study plan before paying my tuition. How can I obtain a study plan?

You should obtain a Study Plan form (if required) from your sponsor and fill it out to the best of your ability, you can use the Degree Road Maps as a guide to help you plan your courses for graduation. You can then request a letter from Admissions & Records to confirm the accuracy of your plan and add any additional information you may need. To request this letter please fill out the Letter Request Form and submit it (with your study plan if applicable) to International Admissions in Bayramian Hall (BH 160) or email it to Once submitted, the Letter Request process takes approximately 10 business days to complete.


I cannot access myNorthridge Portal or CSUN Gmail Account. What do I do?

If you have any technology issues related to your portal or email you can chat with CSUN’s Helpdesk, or you can call 818-677-1400. Students can also visit the CSUN Information Technology website for further assistance.

I have been enrolled in classes, but do not see my instructors course on Canvas. What do I do?

Canvas must be activate/published by your instructor. Many instructors do not activate their Canvas accounts until the first day of class. If by the first day of class you still do not see your course on Canvas please email your instructor. Instructor emails can be found by searching their name in the CSUN directory. For classes added after the semester has begun you will also need to request that the instructor add you to their canvas page.

I requested to drop a class, however the class still shows in Canvas. What do I do?

Remember that Canvas is not your official schedule. Your official schedule can be found in your portal on the "academics" tab. Canvas is controlled by the instructor. If you drop a class it may still show on your Canvas account unless the instructor manually removes you. As long as you have confirmed with your academic advisor that the class(es) have been dropped and are no longer listed in your portal, you can disregard the old course(s) on canvas.

I am having issues accessing Zoom from my country what should I do?

Some students able to use a VPN to access zoom in their home country. If this does not work you can email the Information Technology office to see if they can provide support/recommendations or you can consult with your academic advisor about being enrolled into Fully Online Asynchronous (FOA) courses where you will generally not be required to attend a zoom session (pending SEVP guidelines regarding fully online courses). To avoid these types of technology issues students are encouraged to study from within the U.S. if possible.

Important Dates and Deadlines

Fall 2021 Important Dates

  • June 15, 2021- Document Deadline
  • July 15, 2021-Earliest day to enter the U.S.
  • August 8,2021- Deadline to enter the U.S. on F-1 Visa
  • August 26, 2021- New International Student Orientation 
  • August 28, 2021 – Saturday only and Friday/Saturday classes begin, students should view specific meeting dates in class search.
  • August 30, 2021 – Fall Semester weekday classes begin
  • September 3, 2021 – Tuition payment deadline for new international students
  • September 3, 2021 – Schedule Change Request Deadline by 4:00 p.m.
  • September 6, 2021 – Labor Day, Campus Closed 
  • September 7-September 17, 2021 (Weeks 2 & 3) – Permission numbers are required to add all classes (request for drops should be made by Friday of week 3 for refund purposes)
  • October 31, 2021- Last day to apply for Spring 2022 Admission
  • November 11, 2021 – Veterans’ Day, Campus Closed 
  • November 15, 2021 – Document Deadline for Spring 2022 applications
  • November 15, 2021- Earliest day for Spring 2022 admits to enter the U.S. on an F1 visa
  • November 25- November 26, 2021 – Thanksgiving Recess, Campus Closed (No instructions on November 25-November 28)
  • December 12, 2021- Earliest day for spring 2022 applicants to enter the U.S..
  • December 24, 2021 - January 2, 2022 – Winter Recess, Campus Closed

Spring 2022 Important Dates

  • January 14, 2022 – Deadline to enter the U.S. on F-1 Visa
  • January 17, 2022 – Martin Luther King, Jr. Day, Campus Closed
  • January 20, 2022 – New International Student Orientation (Tentative)
  • January 21, 2022 – 3:00 p.m. Deadline to take the Math Selection Assessment (MSA). Eligible students can begin taking the MSA starting January 8th by appointment with the department of Mathematics (818) 677-2231.
  • January 21, 2022 – Saturday only and Friday/Saturday classes begin, students should view specific meeting dates in class search. 
  • January 24, 2022 – Spring Semester Weekday Classes begin
  • January 28, 2022 – Tuition payment deadline for new International Students
  • January 28, 2022 - 4:00 pm Schedule Change Request Deadline
  • January 31- February 11, 2022 (Weeks 2 & 3) - Permission numbers are required to add all classes
  • February 11, 2022 - University deadline to add/drop classes and be eligible for refund (Friday of week 3)
  • March 21-27, 2022- Spring Recess (Campus Open, but no classes in session)
  • March 31, 2022- Cesar Chavez Day, Campus Closed
  • May 25, 2022- Summer Break Begins

For additional Academic Calendar dates, please link to Student Academic Calendar.

2nd Semester Academic Advisement Instructions

International students will be able to enroll themselves for the second semester, however before enrolling students must meet with an academic advisor.

Note: All advisement will be offered in a virtual format.

Freshman Students (0-29 units)

First- time freshmen will schedule their 2nd semester advisement appointment with their International Academic Advisor in the Matador Advising Hub. Beginning week 5 students will receive a notification to their CSUN email (ending in with a link to schedule an appointment through our electronic appointment making system. Before receiving the link to schedule your appointment students are require to complete the 2nd Semester Academic Advisement Workshop on canvas.

Please access the 2nd Semester Academic Advisement Workshop by following these steps:

  1. Visit the The Hub-International Canvas.
  2. Log in using your CSUN username and password.
  3. Click "Enroll in Course",  then click "Go to the course", and select the blue "2nd Semester Academic Advisement Workshop" option to begin. Be sure to read through all of the slides, watch the DPR video, and complete the survey at the end.
  4. Within 48 hours of submitting the survey you will receive a link to schedule your individual academic advisement appointment.

Transfer Students (30-90+ units)

First-time transfers will be asked to attend a virtual Pre-Second Semester Success (PreSSS) workshop during weeks 5-7, which will help prepare them to meet with their college or major department advisor. Additionally transfer students will receive a notification titled "Spring 2022 2nd Semester Advising and Registration Instructions" which will contain tips for 2nd semester registration and the contact information for each colleges advising center. Transfer students are encouraged to meet virtually with their college/department major advisor as soon as possible starting week 5 and after. 

 Special Populations

The Hub International Academic Advisement Center advises all new undergraduate international students on F1 visas. We do not advise: