Academic Advising

Read the information below and click on one of the four options to locate your advisement office:

I'm a New FreshmanI'm a New TransferI'm a New International StudentI'm a Continuing Student

Ask CSUNny!

Use the Ask CSUNny! link below to open the CSUN Web Chat for assistance with advisement related questions.

Academic Advisement Information

CSUN provides a wealth of academic advising services and resources for students including referrals to faculty and staff advisors.

Download the Student Guide to Academic Advisement (.pdf)

New Students

New domestic freshmen must see an advisor in order to register for classes. Academic Advisement and registration for Spring 2022 first-time freshmen begins on November 1, 2021 and continues throughout summer. First-time freshmen may schedule advising appointments beginning October 25, 2021. Remember to check your CSUN issued Gmail account for important information on how to schedule an appointment for advising and enrollment.

New domestic freshmen and transfer students can download advisement checklists for the Spring 2022 semester by using the following links: First-Time Freshman Advisement Checklist (.pdf) and First-Time Transfer Checklist (.pdf).

New international freshmen and transfer students seek advisement from the international academic advisors for new students. For more information, visit The Hub-International Academic Advisement for mandatory pre-enrollment steps, checklists and more.

Check out these options to determine who will be assisting you:

Continuing Students

Some continuing second-year and upper division students will be required to meet with an advisor on a regular basis. Even if it isn’t required, it is very helpful to regularly meet with an advisor to ensure you are on track for graduation.

Advising of continuing second-year and upper division students varies by academic college and major. Advising is offered by the Student Services Center/EOP Satellite or a faculty or staff advisor in your academic program. If you are not certain where to go for advising and support, you can always contact the Office of Undergraduate Studies or the Student Services Center/EOP Satellite for your academic college and ask.

EOP students are served by the Student Services Center/EOP Satellite for their academic college, but should also consult regularly with a faculty or staff advisor in their academic program. Some continuing students may be required to meet with both an EOP advisor and an advisor in their academic program.

Continuing international students are advised by academic college-based faculty or staff advisors. Your international academic advisor will provide a referral and help you transition to a college-based advisor. Contact information for academic departments is located at Academic Programs.

Empower Yourself

Be an active participant in your academic journey at CSUN by using our Degree Planning Tools in advance of your academic advising sessions and check out our Matadors Rising resources. Remember that CSUN offers How To Guides for nearly everything in the myNorthridge portal and the SOLAR Student Center.