Current Students

  • Oviatt Library

Transfer Course Information

Attention CSUN Students!

If you are transferring course work from another school to CSUN, review this page based on your class level.

Undergraduate Students

You may take a course at another accredited institution to fulfill GE or lower-division major requirements as follows:

  • Only 70 units from a community college can be applied to the total units toward a CSUN degree. If you exceed the 70-unit limit, the class can satisfy a course requirement and will become part of your cumulative GPA, but no additional units will be earned toward the minimum number of units required to graduate.
  • Additional details: Credit for Transfer Work Taken at Community Colleges

Transferring General Education Courses to CSUN

  • Use ASSIST* to check whether or not a GE course at a California community college will satisfy an outstanding lower-division CSUN GE requirement.
  • To request GE information for a school not in ASSIST and you are currently enrolled at CSUN, complete the GE Information Request Web Form.

* ASSIST shows how lower-division courses taken at public California community colleges can be applied when transferred to CSUN.

Transferring Major Requirements to CSUN

  • Use ASSIST to check whether or not lower-division courses in your major offered at California community colleges will transfer to CSUN to meet an outstanding major requirement.
  • If unsure about ASSIST information or to request major information for a school not in ASSIST, contact your major department advisor.

eTranscript California

If transferring course work from a California community college, save time with eTranscript California.

Course Repeat Policy

A few precautions:

  • If you want to repeat a course to improve your CSUN GPA, you must retake that course at CSUN. If you repeat the course at another institution, the CSUN grade will not be forgiven.
  • If you have passed a course at CSUN and repeat that same course at another institution, you will not receive credit for the transfer course.

Helpful: Undergraduate Repeat Policy (Grade Forgiveness)

Graduate Students

Before enrolling in a course at another institution, contact your graduate program coordinator to confirm that the course will transfer to CSUN.

  • Specific course work transferred to CSUN graduate programs is subject to the approval of the graduate coordinator for the individual academic department offering the program and the assistant vice president of the Office of Graduate Studies.
  • Credit for work performed in extension or at another regionally accredited institution is subject to certain limitations.

Helpful: Transfer Work for Graduate Programs Policy

Additional Resources

Transferring Course Work to CSUN from non-CSU Study Abroad Programs