Student Veterans

Student veterans are eligible and encouraged to apply for financial aid. If you are a veteran, you will be considered for all federal, state and institutional aid (grants, loans and scholarships) once you complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). If eligible, you may receive funding from the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs and financial aid support during the same semester.

For federal student aid purposes, federal education benefits for veterans are not treated as estimated financial assistance. The education benefits listed below do not affect aid eligibility.

  • Senior Reserve Officers' Training Corps (U.S. Code 10:103)
  • Educational Assistance for Persons Enlisting for Active Duty (U.S. Code 10:106A)
  • Selected Reserve Educational Assistance Program (U.S. Code 10:1606)
  • Educational Assistance Program for Reserve Component Members Supporting Contingency Operations and Certain Other Operations (U.S. Code 10:1607)
  • All-Volunteer Force Educational Assistance Program, also known as the Montgomery GI Bill — Active Duty (U.S. Code 38:30)
  • Training and Rehabilitation for Veterans with Service-Connected Disabilities (U.S. Code 38:31)
  • Post-Vietnam Era Veterans Educational Assistance Program (U.S. Code 38:32)
  • Post-9/11 Educational Assistance (U.S. Code 38:33)
  • Survivors' and Dependents' Educational Assistance Program (U.S. Code 38:35)
  • Educational Assistance Pilot Program (Public Law 96-342, Section 903)
  • Restored Entitlement Program for Survivors, also known as Quayle benefits (Public Law 97-376, Section 156)
  • Subsistence allowances for members of the Reserve Officers Training Corps. (U.S. Code 37:3)

Please note that your veterans education benefits will be taken into consideration when determining your eligibility for specific tuition-paying grants, such as the State University Grant (SUG) or the Cal Grant A or B. You will be ineligible for these grants if your veterans benefits are specifically designated to cover tuition fees.

Prior to start of each term, the Financial Aid & Scholarship Department will identify students who receive veterans education benefits and coordinate or revise financial aid awards as needed. Your grants may be reduced or canceled if CSUN receives information about your veterans education benefits after you have been paid a Cal or State University Grant award, and you may end up owing money back to the university.

Your veterans education benefits are certified by the Veterans Affairs office at Cal State Northridge. Student Accounting will apply the benefits to tuition once payment is received from Veterans Affairs.

For information about veterans education benefits, visit the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs, or contact the California Department of Veterans Affairs to determine eligibility and activate your benefits.

For additional information about the impact of veterans education benefits on your financial aid award, please talk to a financial aid counselor during counseling walk-in hours.