Are you interested in attending CSUN? Concerned about the cost of out-of-state tuition?
California State University, Northridge is a participating member of the Western Undergraduate Exchange (WUE), a program of the Western Interstate Commission for Higher Education (WICHE).
Through WUE, students in western states may enroll in many two-year and four-year college programs at a reduced tuition level (150 percent of the institution's regular resident tuition).
WUE tuition is considerably less than nonresident tuition:
|How much would I save with WUE?|
|Resident tuition||Formula: Resident tuition x 2 terms (fall & spring)||$5,742|
|Nonresident tuition||Formula: Resident tuition + $5,940 ($396 x 15 units) x 2 terms (fall & spring)||$17,622|
|WUE rate||Formula: Resident tuition x 2 terms (fall & spring) x 150%||$8,613|
|WUE Savings||Formula: Nonresident tuition minus WUE rate||$9,009|
Notes: The tuition rate shown above is for enrollment in the Fall 2020 and Spring 2021 academic year, assuming 30 credit hours per year (i.e., 15 units in each fall and spring semester).Tuition rate does not include additional mandatory campus fees. WUE students must enroll in a minimum of 12 units per semester. Learn more about the cost of attendance. For more tuition and fee information, contact CSUN's University Cash Services.
To receive the WUE tuition rate at CSUN, an admitted student must be a resident of one of the following states or U.S. insular areas: Alaska, Arizona, Colorado, Hawaii, Idaho, Montana, Nevada, New Mexico, North Dakota, Oregon, South Dakota, Utah, Washington, Wyoming, and the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands.
The WUE tuition rate applies only to the majors listed below. If the major is not listed, it is not eligible for the WUE rate:
Africana Studies - BA
Anthropology - BA
Asian American Studies - BA
Central American Studies - BA
Chicana and Chicano Studies - BA
Child and Adolescent Development - BA
Construction Management - BS
Economics - BA
French - BA
Gender and Women's Studies - BS
Geography - BA
Geology - BS
Languages and Cultures - BA
Liberal Studies - Interdisciplinary Studies option - BA
Liberal Studies - Pre-credential option - BA
Modern Jewish Studies - BA
Philosophy - BA
Physics BA, BS
Religious Studies - BA
Spanish - BA
Theatre - BA
Tourism, Hospitality, and Recreation Management - BS
Urban Studies and Planning - BA
Maintain full-time enrollment at 12 or more units each semester attending and be in good standing with the institution.
- WUE students are not eligible for California resident tuition. Students cannot apply time accrued while participating in the WUE program to establish California residency.
- Students may receive the WUE tuition rate for 6 years or until the completion of the bachelor’s degree, whichever comes first.
How to Apply
Follow these 5 steps to apply for WUE admission at CSUN:
1. Confirm that you are a legal resident of a WUE state or insular area, and that you are applying to a WUE major.
2. Review the admission criteria, instructions, required documents, and due dates for your student group at Applicants.
- Have important documents (grades, transcripts, test scores, etc.) handy when completing the online application.
- You can remit the $55 nonrefundable application fee in Cal State Apply.
Please note: Starting with Fall 2020 admission, the CSU application fee will increase to $70.
5. Mail the completed WUE Contract Form, official transcripts and any other required application materials to:
Admissions & Records—CSUN; 18111 Nordhoff Street; Northridge, CA 91330-8207