Prospective Students

Western Undergraduate Exchange (WUE)

Are you interested in attending CSUN? Concerned about the cost of out-of-state tuition?

California State University, Northridge is a participating member of the Western Undergraduate Exchange (WUE), a program of the Western Interstate Commission for Higher Education (WICHE).

Through WUE, students in western states may enroll in many two-year and four-year college programs at a reduced tuition level (150 percent of the institution's regular resident tuition).

WUE tuition is considerably less than nonresident tuition:

How much would I save with WUE?
Resident tuitionFormula: Resident tuition x 2 terms (fall & spring)$5,742
Nonresident tuitionFormula: Resident tuition + $5,940 ($396 x 15 units) x 2 terms (fall & spring)$17,622
WUE rate    Formula: Resident tuition x 2 terms (fall & spring) x 150%$8,613
WUE SavingsFormula: Nonresident tuition minus WUE rate$9,009

Notes:  The tuition rate shown above is for enrollment in the Fall 2020 and Spring 2021 academic year, assuming 30 credit hours per year (i.e., 15 units in each fall and spring semester).Tuition rate does not include additional mandatory campus fees. WUE students must enroll in a minimum of 12 units per semester. Learn more about the cost of attendance. The Fall 2021 and Spring 2022 tuition rate will be published here when information becomes available. For additional information, visit CSUN's University Cash Services.


To receive the WUE tuition rate at CSUN, an admitted student must be a resident of one of the following states or U.S. insular areas: Alaska, Arizona, Colorado, Hawaii, Idaho, Montana, Nevada, New Mexico, North Dakota, Oregon, South Dakota, Utah, Washington, Wyoming, and the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands.

Undergraduate Majors

WUE participants may select any undergraduate major offered by CSUN. The WUE tuition rate applies to all undergraduate majors. Visit the University Catalog to explore CSUN majors and options and find department contact information.

To Maintain WUE Status:

Maintain full-time enrollment at 12 or more units each semester that you attend and be in good standing with the institution.

Conditions for Enrollment:

  • WUE students are not eligible for California resident tuition. Students cannot apply time accrued while participating in the WUE program to establish California residency.
  • Students may receive the WUE tuition rate for 6 years or until the completion of the bachelor’s degree, whichever comes first.

How to Apply

Following your admission to CSU, Northridge, take these steps to apply to participate in the WUE program:

  1. Confirm that you are a legal resident of a WUE state or insular area.
  2. Complete the WUE Contract Form (PDF) and agree to the guidelines.
  3. Mail the completed WUE Contract Form to: 

Admissions and Records - CSUN 
18111 Nordhoff Street
Northridge, CA 91330-8207

Alternatively, you may email the completed WUE Contract to

If any additional application materials are required, the CSUN Office of Admissions and Records will contact you.