Fall Semester Begins
Hi Matadors! The International and Exchange Student Center (IESC) welcomes you to a new academic year (2023-2024). We are excited to see you achieve your academic goals at CSUN. We hope this FALL 2023 semester you will take the time to stay connected with our office,students, faculty, and other staff members on campus. We are happy to provide support and encouragement to international students and our CSUN community.
Do not forget to follow us on Instagram for important updates and upcoming events!
The IESC Team
Dear New International Student,
Congratulations on your admission to California State University, Northridge!
The International and Exchange Student Center (IESC) welcomes you and would like to offer you special assistance throughout your academic program. To ensure your success on campus, we will provide you with immigration and personal advisement, and a variety of social, educational, and cross- cultural programs throughout the year.
All newly admitted international students must complete the check-in Requirements for F1 Students. The requirements are incorporated to 6-Steps. Please visit https://www.csun.edu/international/new-students to begin. You may also view the video below that will guide you through all the steps and requirements.
Fall 2023 Reminders
Make sure to visit the FALL 2023 Reminders for International Students to help you plan and finalize your Fall 2023 enrollment as it relates to maintaining your immigration status. If you have not enrolled in courses for the Fall 2023, please make sure to do so immediately! Visit the helpful resources listed here
- PLAN YOUR DEGREE
- REGISTRATION PLANNER GUIDE
- UNDERGRADUATE ADVISEMENT
- GRADUATE ADVISEMENT
- REGISTRATION HOLDS
- PAYMENT SCHEDULE AND DEADLINES
SEVP Covid-19 flexibility guidance ended
The SEVP’s COVID-19 flexibility guidance has ended. Starting fall 2023 semester, F and M nonimmigrant students must return to normal (pre-pandemic) immigration regulations including excessive online enrollment for fall 2023 and beyond. It is very important that new and continuing international students remain in contact with the IESC International Student Advisors and your government sponsor as applicable.
International Student Community (ISC) Club
We encourage you to get involved and join a club at CSUN! The International Students Community (ISC) is a registered student organization at CSUN. The main aim of ISC is to provide International students with the opportunity to experience and appreciate different cultures and promote international friendship. They encourage everyone, including American students interested in world culture, to join. They organize a number of cultural, social and recreational events every semester. If you're interested in joining the International Student Community, please visit the CSUN ISC Facebook page.
Weekly Coffee Hour
The IESC believes that cross-cultural understanding is an important part of being a citizen of the world. Coffee Hour is a time to learn about different cultures from around the world. It is one of the opportunities where international and American students gather to highlight their cultures. Come join us for Coffee Hour!
IESC Fall 2023 Events and Webinars
The IESC offers various Events and Webinars for International Students every semester.
The Webinars will be conducted via Zoom. Please do not miss the opportunity to attend one of our Live Webinars or Events to help you maintain your immigration status in good standing! Webinar topics range from Curricular Practical Training, Q&A Post-Opt, and much more. To register for our events/webinars, please visit our Events and Webinar page.
Meet the Staff
We are delighted to introduce you to our newest International Student Advisor (ISA), Ms. Nicole Goddard. She has been working at CSUN since 2016 and she is happy to share with you a little bit about herself!
- Hometown - San Fernando Valley
- Alma Mater - California State University, Northridge
- Language(s) spoken - English
- Undergraduate Major - B.A. Child and Adolescent Development
- Graduate Degree - M.S. in Counseling; Career Counseling specialization
- Favorite place(s) abroad - To visit family in England
- Fun Fact - I have 2 children (6-year-old son and 7-month-old girl). I love to spend my free time traveling, exploring the outdoors, and going to Disneyland with family.
- Advice for Internationally-minded students - My advice would be to get involved with clubs and other on campus events to explore your interests and make meaningful connections with other CSUN students
Updates from the SEVIS Coordinators' Desk
Students, please review the general reminders provided by our SEVIS Coordinators regarding your SEVIS immigration record/ Form I-20. Make sure to read this information carefully as it will help us help you maintain your SEVIS record and immigration status.
- Foreign (F) Hold will show on your CSUN Student Portal every semester. If you have already submitted your proof of health insurance for Fall 2023, IESC will review it and will remove your Foreign hold. If you have not submitted it yet, please visit health insurance requirement page to purchase health insurance.
- Must enroll in full time course load for Fall 2023 (undergraduates with a minimum of 12 units and graduates with a minimum of 8 units). Make sure to contact your ACADEMIC ADVISOR to plan your Fall 2023 full time enrollment schedule.
- Is your CSUN I-20 expiring soon? If you will NOT COMPLETE your degree at the end of FALL 2023 semester (12/22/2023), you must apply for an Extension of Stay in order to continue your studies and to remain in correct status with immigration for future semesters. IESC will need to receive the documents listed below via email: email@example.com
- Completed Extension of Stay Request Form Your Academic Advisor will need to assist you by completing page 2 and submitting it to firstname.lastname@example.org (see instructions on the form for more information).
- Copy of Affidavit of Financial Support (include dependents if applicable).
- Copy of Bank Statement for the amount on the Affidavit of Financial Support.
- Maintain a valid U.S. address at all times and update your CSUN Student Portal account. The U.S. address is required to keep your SEVIS immigration record in good standing. Any changes must be reported within 10 days of the change. Learn how to keep your information updated.
- Are you currently on OPT? Do not forget to report your required POST- OPT or your STEM OPT information in a timely manner.
Study Abroad Corner
Interested in studying abroad or exchanging to another campus across the U.S.? Good news! Study abroad and exchange applications are open for Spring 2024, Fall 2024 and Academic Year 2024-2025!
If you have always wanted to study in another country, then check out the CSU International Programs (CSU IP). This is an opportunity for CSUN students to study at a partner institution abroad for a semester or academic year for resident credit toward their CSUN degree, all while continuing to pay their regular CSUN tuition and using their CSUN financial aid. With over 70 institutions across 18 countries worldwide, where will you make your home away from home?
Ever consider studying out-of-state, but were concerned about those out-of-state fees? Then the National Student Exchange (NSE) is the program for you! Study at one of nearly 160 universities across the United States, Puerto Rico, Guam, the U.S. Virgin Islands and parts of Canada. Take classes for transfer credit toward your CSUN degree and utilize different payment plan options to find the program that is most affordable.
Adventure awaits you, Matador! Sign up for a Study Abroad & Exchange Information Session to learn more about these opportunities and you could be studying somewhere else in the world by Spring 2024!