Process Repository

Registration Holds

Registration holds prevent students from enrolling in classes. Before registering, clear all holds.

Common Registration Holds

Below is a list of common registration holds. Students should check their Portal for additional holds and instructions on how to resolve them. To view holds: Log into the CSUN Portal and locate the "Incomplete Tasks" section of My Checklist. For help, see View Holds.

Freshman Advisement

All freshmen will have an advisement hold and need to register for classes with their academic advisor. The advisement hold continues each semester until the student completes General Education (GE) Basic Skills. Students must complete GE Basic Skills within their first 60 units. Learn more at GE Basic Skills and Basic Skills Policy.

International Student Advisement

All incoming international students will have an advisement hold for their first semester at CSUN and will need to register for classes with assistance from a designated academic advisor. In subsequent semesters some majors may require academic advisement.  If your major requires advisement before registration, you will have an advisement hold that will only be cleared when you meet with your academic advisor.

Transfer Student Major Advisement

CSUN policies will differ from those of your previous institution, so academic advisement is strongly encouraged for all transfer students. Some majors require it. If your major requires advisement before registration, you will have an advisement hold that will be cleared only when you meet with your advisor.

Immunization Requirements

Students not meeting immunization requirements during their first semester may have a registration hold placed on their record that prevents enrollment in their second-semester classes.

If you were born on or after January 1, 1957, you must present proof of immunity to, or immunization for, measles and rubella during your first semester at CSUN. Immunity to or immunization for Hepatitis B is required for all entering students 18 or younger before you complete your second semester. Students enrolled in a California public middle or high school after July 1, 1999 will have satisfied these requirements.

Declare Major by 60 Units

Students are expected to declare their major by the conclusion of the semester in which they complete 45 units. Students must declare their major by the conclusion of the semester in which they complete 60 units. (Transfer students must declare a major in their transfer application.)

Students who have not declared their major and have completed 60 units will not be able to register until they obtain academic advisement. Exploratory majors who are not part of EOP should contact the Matador Advising Hub. EOP Exploratory majors may contact Dr. Conchita Battle at

Please note that there are limits to the total number of units you can earn toward a double major, a major and a minor, or double minors. Learn more at Major and Minor Policy.

Graduation Advisement Hold - Bachelor's Degree

When you've completed 90 units and at least one semester in residence at CSUN, you'll receive an email to complete the online graduation application.  Once you've successfully submitted the online application, you will receive a graduation advisement hold on your account for your graduation term.

  • The graduation advisement hold will display in My Checklist as “Advising Mandatory.”
  • If you completed the paper “Application for Bachelor’s Degree and Diploma,” you have already been advised and will not receive the graduation advisement hold.

To remove the hold:

  1. As soon as possible after submitting your online application, schedule a meeting with your academic advisor to review your graduation plan.
  2. Use the Degree Progress Report/Planner to plan out the courses still needed to complete your bachelor’s degree. Share your plan when meeting with your advisor.


Apply for Graduation before 130 Units

Undergraduate students should apply for graduation when they have earned 90 units. If students do not apply at that time, they will receive a "graduation advisement mandatory" (GAM) hold at 130 units and will not be able to enroll in classes for the following semester.

All coursework for majors and minors combined shall be completed within 140 units. Students who have accumulated over 140 earned units may be graduated administratively if they have completed all degree requirements in any major, whether or not they have declared that major.

Title IX (T9)

Financial Holds

Students with financial holds must immediately pay their account balance in full to be eligible to register.