The California State University International Programs offer eligible students the opportunity to study abroad in one of 18 countries for one academic year or one semester (limited to specific countries). The 18 countries are Australia, Canada, Chile, China, Denmark, France, Germany, Ghana, Israel, Italy, Japan, Mexico, South Africa, South Korea, Spain, Sweden, Taiwan and the United Kingdom.

Happy travels and work hard!

COVID-19 UPDATE: CSUN students applying for study abroad and/or exchange should be aware that all future plans will be contingent upon CSU travel restrictions and health advisories at that time. The International and Exchange Student Center will relay any decisions that might impact program participation as updates become available. Students are encouraged to continue planning and preparing for their study abroad/exchange experience, as the IESC will continue to work with students on all possible options if any program changes do occur.


GPA requirements vary from a 2.5-3.2, please check the list of programs on the CSU IP website for specific eligibility requirements.

Typically, students are in their junior year when they study abroad. However, many programs are open to sophomore students. 

Language requirements

For some countries, there is a minimum language requirement. 

For more information on eligibility requirements, please attend an information session. 

Application Fee and Deadlines

It is free to apply to the California State University International Study Abroad program.

CSU IP Application deadlines

Fall and Academic Year Deadline: February 15th (This applies to all programs except Japan: Waseda, Germany: Music at Trossingen)

Japan: Waseda and Germany: Music at Trossingen Deadlines: January 15th

Spring and Calendar Year* Deadline: September 15th 
*Calendar Year applies only to Australia, Chile and South Africa


Credit Towards Degree

You will receive 15 units per semester of residence credit towards your California State University, Northridge degree.

Information Sessions

The IESC offers information sessions to help you navigate your options. Please sign up for an information session to learn more.

CSU IP is offering one hour virtual information sessions to discuss the program and answer questions about filling out the application. Students may sign up online to attend. These sessions are only available online and are not hosted through the International and Exchange Student Center.

Where to Study

Your major may dictate which countries to which you can apply. To learn what your options are, please view the CSU IP website.

Length of Studying Abroad

The California State University International Program (IP) is available for one semester (limited to specific countries) or for one academic year. For academic year programs, students go abroad in the fall. For calendar year programs (Australia, Chile and South Africa), students depart in early February.

Cost, Financial Aid and Scholarships

You pay CSUN tuition fees, not overseas university tuition fees. The total amount of money that students spend varies from country to country. An estimate of the costs for each country can be found on the California State University International Programs website. On the website, select your program of interest. You can find full information in the "Budget Estimates" link on the program brochure. Please attend an information session to help you in the research process.  

Furthermore, if you currently receive financial aid, you will continue to receive it for uses related to your continuing education abroad.

Financial aid information and scholarships

To help students reach their goals in participating in an international study abroad program, we have comprised this list of scholarship searches and financial aid information available online. Please find the one that best fits for your experience. 

Financial Aid Information

Study Abroad Scholarships

CSUN Scholarships

Additional Scholarship Search Sites:

Study Abroad Fair

Study Abroad Fair

November 15 - 19, 2021

The fair is a great opportunity to learn more about the various study abroad and exchange opportunities available to CSUN students. Connect with faculty, study abroad staff and program alumni to find the right program for you!

This year the CSUN Study Abroad Fair will take place during International Education Week. International Education Week is an opportunity to celebrate the benefits of international education and exchange worldwide. This is a joint initiative by the U.S. Department of State and the U.S. Department of Education as a part of their efforts to promote programs that prepare Americans for a global environment and attract future leaders from abroad to study, learn and exchange experiences in the United States.

 All sessions this year will be held online. Please visit the Study Abroad Fair site for event details.


CSU Summers Arts

Summer Arts is a CSU system-wide program, which offers courses over the summer in California and in select locations abroad. Students participating in Summer Arts continue to pay CSU tuition and receive credit from the CSU Summer Arts home campus, Fresno State.

CSU Summer Arts will offer three Study Abroad courses in 2022:

Acting Irish Theatre
Dublin, Ireland
July 13-August 3, 2022

La Guitarra Española
Granada, Spain
July 11-August 1, 2022

Contemporary Art in Berlin
Berlin, Germany
July 27-August 17, 2022

Romantic Lied in Germany
Trossingen, Germany
July 27-August 17, 2022

Please refer to the CSU Summer Arts website for program and application information or contact 562-951-4065 for any additional questions.


Q: I'm interested in Studying Abroad. What should I do to learn more?

A: If you are interested in the California State University International Program (where you receive 15 units of residence credit towards your CSUN degree) or if you want to view the full list of the countries offered, visit the California State University International Program (IP) website

If you have a minimum GPA of 2.5 or above, please visit to see which majors are offered in which countries.  If you meet the eligibility requirements, please contact Eleanor Wolgast or Rebecca Spector.  The final deadline for eligible students applying for the academic year is February 15th.

Q: Can I study abroad for only one semester?

A: Yes, CSU IP does provide single semester options in certain countries. Please visit to see available countries. 

Q: Is there a minimum GPA requirement?

A: Yes, the minimum requirement for the Study Abroad program varies by country and requires a 2.5 GPA and up; the minimum requirement for the National Student Exchange program is a 2.5 GPA. For more details, visit the Apply page.

Q: Are these competitive programs?

A: The California State University International Study Abroad program is competitive for some countries. For more competitive programs, students are encouraged to list a back-up country.

Q: Do I have to speak the language of the country I will be applying to?

A: Not necessarily. Some countries require fluency in their native language, others offer programs taught entirely in English. Ask Eleanor Wolgast or Rebecca Spector for details regarding the countries you are interested in.

Q: How do I apply to Study Abroad?

A: If you're interested in applying and you have a minimum GPA of 2.5 or above, please visit to see which majors are offered in which countries. If you meet the eligibility requirements, please contact Eleanor Wolgast or Rebecca Spector. The final deadline for eligible students applying for the next academic year is February 15th.

Q: How much does it cost to apply?

A: There is no application fee for the California State University International Program.

Q: How much will the program cost?

A: Through the California Sate University International Program (IP), you pay CSUN tuition fees while abroad, not the host campus' tuition fees. Please set up an appointment with the study abroad advisor to discuss program costs. 

Q: Will I still receive financial aid while on exchange?

A: Yes, whatever financial aid you receive here at CSUN you will receive while studying abroad. 

Q: Are there any scholarships available to help with the costs?

A: There are some scholarships for studying overseas. Please visit the Apply page for more information on scholarship opportunities.

Q: Can I participate in these programs as a graduate student?

A: The California State University International Study Abroad program is usually recommended for undergraduate students. However, graduate students are eligible to apply. If you are a graduate student who is interested in studying abroad, please check first with an academic advisor in your department to verify that they will grant you credit for any classes you take abroad.

Q: Will the classes I take abroad or on exchange count toward my degree?

A: You will need to check with an academic advisor in your department.

Q: What are my chances of being accepted into the California State University International Programs?

A: Some countries are more competitive than others, so make sure that you meet the minimum requirements. Please see the eligibility requirements for the country you are interested in by going to the California State University International Programs website, then select Programs. Click on the country and program you are interested in to view the program brochure. For more details, please set up an appointment with the study abroad advisor.

Credits for Non-CSUN Affiliated Study Abroad Program

Please note, if you study abroad through an external organization and not a California State University International Program (IP), you will do so as an independent student since external study abroad organizations are not affiliated with California State University, Northridge (CSUN). 

If you study abroad through an external study abroad organization, you will need to inform Admissions and Records that you are taking a leave of absence if the program is during the regular CSUN semester period.

Non-affiliated study abroad programs have no formal agreement with the CSU or CSUN, so you'll need to do some additional planning. Please review “External Study Abroad Programs” below.

External Study Abroad Programs

If you plan to study abroad in an external study abroad or exchange program that is not university affiliated, you should take the following steps before you depart:

  1. You will be considered "on leave" from CSUN during the time that you study abroad and until you re-enroll at CSUN. Be sure you understand the university policy on academic leave of absence.
  2. Confirm in advance that CSUN will accept credit not only from the overseas institution you plan to attend but also for the courses you plan to take. To do so, contact a CSUN International Admissions advisor.
  • General Education Credit - Work with the CSUN International Admissions advisor to determine in advance whether or not General Education (GE) credit can be transferred from the overseas school to CSUN. If possible, provide the advisor with a course description or syllabus for the overseas GE course(s) you plan to take.
  • Major Credit - Contact your CSUN academic advisor in the department of your major to determine in advance whether or not the overseas courses you plan to take can be used to satisfy a requirement in your major. You'll need to submit a course description or syllabus for the overseas course(s) you plan to take so that it can be considered for course substitution.
  1. Ask the overseas institution how long it will take to have your official transcripts sent to CSUN. Even when credits are transferable, it may take time for the overseas classes to appear on your CSUN transcript. For example, it will take time to determine course equivalencies if you'd like an overseas class to count as a CSUN prerequisite to satisfy a major requirement on your return. If you have applied for graduation, such delays can postpone your graduation date.

When You Return

Upon your return to CSUN, request credit for your non-affiliated overseas course work by submitting an official foreign transcript to the CSUN Office of International Admissions. Please note the additional requirement to request major credit.

  • For General Education Credit - An International Admissions advisor will review your foreign transcript and, where possible, place the GE courses into your Degree Progress Report (DPR). Any transferable overseas courses will be added to your DPR even if they do not advance you toward graduation. 
  • For Major Credit - An International Admissions advisor will review your transcript and, where possible, place the courses into your DPR. Then contact your CSUN major advisor to request that the overseas course be substituted for a CSUN course in your major.