Student Finance

Student Finance

University Cash Services Adjusted Hours of Operation During the COVID-19 Disruption

Counter Hours:

Monday - Friday: 10:00am to 2:00pm

Phone Hours:

Monday - Thursday: 10:00am to 4:30pm

Fridays: 10:00am to 4:00pm

UCS will be monitoring emails 8:00am to 5:00pm Monday through Friday 

All check payments must be placed in the drop box located near the Student Services Lobby at the Information Help Desk.

Please email for all other inquires.

NEW! - Student Finance Frequently Asked Questions

  • Q: Who do I contact?
    • A: UNIVERSITY CASH SERVICES: - payments, refunds, Fall 2021 tuition questions

 ADMISSIONS & RECORDS: - adding/dropping classes

          FINANCIAL AID: - financial aid status, award amounts

                           STUDENT ACCOUNTING: - Spring 2021 and prior balances

  • Q: When will my financial aid disburse?
    • A: After you have met enrollment requirements, financial aid disburses weekly. University Cash Services processes any eligible refunds to you in the following weeks. Financial Aid for Fall 2021 will disburse in mid-August 2021.
  • Q: Do you have payment plans?
    • A: Payment plans are closed for the Spring 2021 semester. Payment plans for Fall 2021 semester will be open May 2021 – August 2021. 
  • Q: How do I make a payment in-person to avoid the 2.65% credit card charge?
    • A: To avoid the 2.65% processing fee with a credit or debit card online, you can pay online through your student portal with a U.S. bank account. Carefully type in your bank routing number and bank account information. Checks may also be dropped off in the drop box at the information booth or mailed. We are open to process cash and debit payments: we do not accept credit cards in person. CSUN is adhering to mask and social distancing guidelines. More information on how to pay your fees:
  •  Q: Can I pay my fees with a debit card online?
    • A: Your debit card is tied to a bank account. Use bank account option to avoid the 2.65% processing fee. If you use your debit card online, you will be charged the 2.65% processing fee by the outside card processor. There is no fee with paying by bank account.
  •  Q: I am a California resident. Why am I being charged nonresident fees?
    • A: If you are a California (in-state) resident, please follow the steps and complete the forms on this webpage: . We need confirmation from Admissions and Records that you are a CA resident. The charges will adjust in the system once A&R approves of the change.
  •  Q: How does the waitlist work?
  •  Q: I don’t see my question here, who can I contact?
    • A: Please send an e-mail to and include your name and 9-digit CSUN Student ID Number.


Tuition and Other Fees/Parking Fees

Student Payment Information

Student Account Information

IRS Form 1098-T

Student Refunds

Perkins Loans & Sponsorships

Employer Reimbursement

Many companies offer tuition assistance to employees who participate in work-related or degree-oriented college programs. They may require proof of enrollment, charges incurred and proof of payment.

To request such documentation please complete this form:  Employer Reimbursement Form


University Cash Services is responsible for the collection of student payments and preparation of financial aid, loans and scholarship disbursements.

Student Accounting maintains all financial transactions recorded on students and sponsors accounts, including registration fees, housing, meal plan charges and other various fees; payments and financial aid awards.  The department is also responsible for the collection of all student related accounts receivable.

Financial and Tax Services is responsible for the administration and collection of Federal Perkins loans receivable and the point of contact for Federal and State tax compliance, including Form 1098T.