Want to start a new student organization/club? We're here to help you make it happen! Your first step is to attend the Registration Orientation online—here, you will learn about the process, responsibilities, privileges, and basic requirements needed to establish and maintain University Recognition at CSUN. Once you have watched the video, RSVP for the Registration Orientation and take the quiz.
To save yourself time, please gather all of the following information and forms in advance. If you have to leave the form or was not able to complete your registration for some reason, you can return to the automatically saved submission; please click on your icon at the top right corner of the screen. Click Submissions, and select the third tab in the center of the screen titled Organization Registrations. This option will allow you to choose the registration that you wish to continue and complete. New Organization Registration is now open for Fall and will close when AS Judicial Court goes on winter break; it will re-open when AS Judicial court is back in session for the Spring Semester.
Starting a New Student Organization:
STEP 1: Registration Orientation
- In this step, you will register for the Online Registration Orientation - here; you will learn the requirements to start a club/organization at California State University, Northridge.
STEP 2: Prepare Your Constitution
- In this step, you will prepare to upload your constitution as a Word document and a membership roster with a minimum of five Council members (President & Treasurer included) and the University Advisor to MataSync during the Registration process. For questions about your constitution, please contact: email@example.com
- View a sample constitution, in the Policies, Codes, and Constitutions section.
- It is imperative that you keep the italicized sections in your constitution. Do not remove or alter those sections in any way.
STEP 3: Take C.O.A.S.T.
- In this step, the University Advisor, President, and Treasurer of the organization will take our Club/Organization Alcohol Safety Training.
- It is important to complete this step BEFORE you start to register your club on MataSync. These forms must be completed in MataSync separately by your University Advisor, President, and Treasurer, on their personal MataSync accounts. This form collects their account information.
- COAST for Advisor, President, and Treasurer
Step 4: Create Your Membership Roster
- This roster will need to be uploaded to MataSync during the registration process.
- You will need accurate information (First & Last Name, CSUN Email, & Position Title) of your organization officers (*President, Vice President, *Treasurer, Secretary, and 5th Officer). These officers should ensure that they are eligible to hold office, based on the requirements for undergraduate & graduate student leaders, or your registration may be denied. We will check officer eligibility. If denied, for this reason, we are unable to reveal this information in support of confidentiality — view Eligibility Requirements.
- All student organizations are required to have a minimum of 5 members (President, Vice President, Treasurer, Secretary, and 5th Officer) vUse this Excel Sheet as a template for your roster. Student Eligibility Roster Download
Step 5: Get a University Advisor
- You will need to know your advisors First & Last name, CSUN Email Address, Department Name, Phone Number/4-digit extension, and Campus Mail Code (this is a four-digit #). If you are having trouble with this step, because of our current virtual environment, Nikiya McWilliams will assist you, so don’t let this be a barrier.
Step 6: Get a Copy of Your Organizations Off-Campus Banking Requirement Letter
- If your organization is required by your national office to have an off-campus bank account, have the official letter ready to upload to MataSync during registration.
Step 7: Registration on MataSync
- In this step, you should have your minimum of 5 Executive Board Members established, Advisor information identified, constitution created, off-campus banking requirement letter, and C.O.A.S.T completed.
- You can upload your documents by registering with the following link: https://csun.campuslabs.com/engage/register
- This is not an instant process, as your profile needs to be approved by a member of the Matador Involvement Center. If you are denied, you will be provided the rationale as to why your profile cannot be approved at this time in the comment section.
- If you are approved, you are officially University Recognized.
Step 8: Becoming AS Chartered
- After you have been University Recognized, it is important for your club to become AS Chartered to receive certain privileges from Associated Students.
- The first step in this process is creating a 2-3 minute presentation for the AS Judicial Court. Their meetings occur 1:00 pm-4:00 pm in the Matador Involvement Center when on campus and through zoom virtually and ARE mandatory.
- After the AS Judicial Court has signed off on your club’s constitution, you will be moved to the AS Senate for a vote. AS Senate meetings are 9:00 am on Mondays in the Grand Salon or through zoom, and is NOT mandatory for you to attend.
New Club Workshops
Once you have been through the University Recognition Process, you will be eligible to sign up for the New Club Workshops. Here, you will have the opportunity to learn more about recruitment, sustaining membership, solidifying your goals, and strategies to have a longstanding club at CSUN! All New Club Workshops will be held via zoom; please email firstname.lastname@example.org to schedule this workshop.