Learning to Teach While On-the-Job
The Intern Program is a post baccalaureate two-year Program (including summers) designed for teachers who are eligible for an intern credential and are hired in a cooperating school district or other local educational agency. Interns progress through the program as a cohort, must take a minimum of 6 units each semester that include 3 units SPED 506 intern practicum/seminar for three semesters and receive classroom support and mentorship throughout the program by university and district personnel.
All applicants are required to complete a minimum of 120 hours of Pre-service Preparation. This preparation includes classroom management and planning, reading/language arts, specialty specific pedagogy, human development, and teaching English learners. Applicants without a valid teaching credential satisfy the Pre-service Preparation component through a combination of credential coursework, on-line instructional modules, and documented field experience (see intern intake coordinator).
Courses in the ECSE Intern Credential Program (42 units)
Pre or Co-requisites for the ECSE credential program
- Bachelor’s Degree in Child Development or 12 units in approved Child Development and Early Childhood curriculum coursework (6 units must be completed before SPED 506ECC and all 12 units by completion of all coursework and supervised fieldwork).
Semester 1 (for interns beginning in the fall semester; interns beginning in the spring semester should consult with an advisor for a revised plan)
- SPED 431: Atypical Development of Young Children with Disabilities (3) (may be taken prior to admission)
- SPED 500: Communication and Early Literacy Development of Young Children with Disabilities (3) (may be taken prior to admission
- SPED 536: Methods for Young Children with Disabilities: Motor and Adaptive Skills (3)
- SPED 532: ECSE Curriculum and Instruction (3) (may be taken prior to admission)
- SPED 537 Methods for Young Children with Multiple Disabilities: Sensory Impairments (3)
- SPED 506ECA: SPED Field Experience/Seminar (3)
Summer Session 1
- SPED 404: Teaching Diverse Learners with Social-Communication Disabilities including Autism (3) (may be taken prior to admission)
- SPED 535: Collaboration with Families in Early Childhood Special Education (3)
- SPED 520EC: Assessment and Evaluation in ECSE (3)
- SPED 506ECB: SPED Field Experience/Seminar (3)
Other Requirements Prior to SPED 506ECC(4th semester)
- Writing Proficiency (CBEST writing score of 41 or better or Upper Division Writing Proficiency Exam with a score of 10 or better or ENGL 305 or ENGL 406 or COMS 321)
- CPR certification – infant, child, adult (online CPR training is not acceptable)
- Overall GPA of 2.75 since admission with cumulative 3.0 GPA in Professional Education courses. A grade of “C” or better is required in all courses.
- SPED 402: Behavioral Assessment and Positive Behavior Support (3) (may be taken prior to admission)
- SPED 538: Early Intervention Practices (3)
- SPED 506ECC SPED Field Experience (3)
Summer Session 2
- SPED 578 Fieldwork in ECSE: Infant/Toddler (3) or SPED 580ECI: Advanced Specialist Fieldwork in ECSE (3)