The Teacher Induction Credential Program is a two-year, individualized, job-embedded system of mentoring, support, and professional development beginning in the candidate's first year of teaching. This program is designed for candidates who hold a valid Preliminary Teaching Credential. The Teacher Induction Program leads to a Clear Credential. The Teacher Induction program focuses on the teacher's needs in order to expand and deepen their knowledge, skills, and abilities targeted to the teacher's employment and career goals in their development as a teacher.
Purpose of the Program
The purpose of the Teacher Induction Credential Program is to provide a program of mentoring and support for beginning teachers. Candidates develop an Individualized Learning Plan (ILP) designed to strengthen their professional practice through self-assessment, goal setting, and reflection.
Contact Information and Advisement
Before applying to the Induction Program you should contact a faculty advisor in the appropriate area. Contact information by specialization area is as follows:
- Induction Coordinator and advisor in Special Education Mild/Moderate Disabilities: Dr. Samantha Toews
- Advisor in Special Education Moderate/Severe Disabilities: Dr. Samantha Toews
- Advisor in Special Education Deaf and Hard of Hearing: Dr. Ellen Schneiderman
- Advisor in Special Education Early Childhood Special Education: Dr. Connie Wong
- Advisor in Elementary Education: Dr. Greg Knotts
- Advisor in Secondary Education: Dr. Mira Pak
1. Credential Program Application - Submit an online credential program application along with a nonrefundable $50.00 application processing fee (an additional $1.38 service fee will be assessed at checkout).
2.Valid Preliminary Credential- You must possess a valid California Preliminary Teaching Credential.
New or Returning CSUN Students
1. University Application - Submit an online university application at Cal State Apply. There will be a $70.00 application fee for this application. Please review the application guide for the credential candidates here.
2. Credential Program Application - Submit an online credential program application along with a nonrefundable $50.00 application processing fee (an additional $1.38 service fee will be assessed at checkout).
3.Valid Preliminary Credential- You must possess a valid California Preliminary Teaching Credential.
Foreign transcripts (if applicable):
- Applicants with international transcripts must provide a copy of an official evaluation to the Credential Office. An official evaluation of coursework must be conducted by an approved agency, for a list of approved agencies visit FOREIGN TRANSCRIPT EVALUATION (ca.gov)
- The official evaluation will need to be mailed to the Credential Office at the following address:
GPA and Retention - Students must maintain an overall GPA of 3.0 with no grades lower than "C" in the professional program coursework.
Early Completion Option
While most students complete the program in two years, certain candidates are eligible for Early Completion. If you have successfully completed a year of induction through a different program, or you have more than two years of teaching experience under an issued preliminary credential, you may be able to complete the Induction Program in one year. Early completion is not guaranteed and requires a review from the Induction Advisor.
Program Completion Process
Information regarding how to apply for the clear credential can be found on our website
IMPORTANT! Before beginning the online application, make sure you are not logged into the CSUN portal. All required documents must be uploaded with your online application. Do not mail or fax any documents