The Department of Special Education at CSUN offers Preliminary Education Specialist credentials in four specialization areas: Deaf and Hard of Hearing, Early Childhood Special Education, Mild-Moderate Disabilities and Moderate-Severe Disabilities.
- Preliminary Deaf and Hard of Hearing Credential (DHH) authorizes the provisions of services to individuals from birth to age 22 who are deaf or hard of hearing.
- Preliminary Early Childhood Special Education Credential (ECSE) authorizes the provision of services to children birth through pre-kindergarten who are eligible for early intervention, special education and/or related services.
- Preliminary Mild-Moderate Disabilities Credential (MM) authorizes the provision of services to individuals from kindergarten to age 22 who have mild-moderate disabilities including autism, other health impairments, emotional disturbances, intellectual and specific learning disabilities.
- Preliminary Moderate-Severe Disabilities Credential (MS) authorizes the provision of services to individuals from kindergarten to age 22 who have moderate-severe disabilities including autism, intellectual disabilities, deaf-blindness, emotional disturbances, and multiple disabilities.
Multiple Pathways to a Credential
Within specialization areas the Department offers multiple pathways to pursue a Preliminary Education Specialist Credential. Coursework in all pathways is scheduled late afternoon/evening or on-line.
- Traditional Program, a post BA degree program designed to be self-paced with flexible scheduling. (Available for DHH, ECSE, MM, MS credentials)
- Intern Program, post BA degree two-year program designed for teachers who are eligible for an intern credential and are hired in a cooperating school district. (Available for DHH, ECSE, MM, MS credentials)
- Accelerated Collaborative Teacher (ACT) Program (available for MM credentials only), a post BA degree full time two- semester program offered collaboratively with the Los Angeles Unified School District (fall admission only). (Available for MM, MS credentials)
- Integrated Teacher Education Program (ITEP) (MM, MS), undergraduate program with candidates beginning as freshmen or entering the two-year option as transfer students. Candidates earn their credential and a BA degree in Liberal Studies concurrently.
The Department of Special Education at CSUN offers the Teacher Induction Education Specialist Credential for candidates who hold a Preliminary Education Specialist Credential.
The Department of Special Education at CSUN offers three Added Authorizations to Special Education Credentials:
- Autism Spectrum Disorder
- Resource Specialist