Transfer Student Requirements

Our admission requirements for transfer students include:

  • Your transfer GPA,
  • Completion of CSU General Education courses and
  • Good academic standing at the last college or university you attended.

To support incoming students, all California State University campuses are being flexible with some admissions requirements. For more information, visit Community College Guidance for Incoming Transfers.

Transfer Eligibility Requirements

All upper-division transfer students need to meet the minimum criteria listed below:

  1. Complete a minimum of 60 transferable semester units (90 quarter units) with a GPA of 2.0 or better.
    • Some majors receive more applications than CSUN has spots to offer. To qualify for admission to these majors, California applicants must meet or exceed higher GPAs, which are set annually. Please see the Transfer Impaction page for more information about impacted majors.
  2. Earn a C- or better in each of the "Golden Four" CSU General Education courses:
    • Written Communication
    • Mathematics/Quantitative Reasoning
    • Critical Thinking
    • Oral Communication (Speech)
    • Note: Students applying as Engineering or Computer Science majors do not have to complete a critical thinking course prior to admission.
  3. Be in good standing at the last college or university attended in a regular session.
  4. Submit all official college transcripts, including preliminary (work-in-progress) and final transcripts with grades posted, to the Office of the Registrar before the deadline.
    • If you have attended a California community college, please use eTranscript California to submit transcripts.
    • Please do not send identical, duplicate paper and electronic transcripts!
  5. Send us your AP, CLEP and IB test scores if any. Because of the pandemic, CSUN will honor all existing transferable credit articulation for spring 2020 and spring 2021 AP exams on which scores of 3, 4 or 5 are earned — regardless of the test delivery method.

If you are an international student, please visit the International Transfer Admission page to find information to help you apply.

If you are a veteran transfer student, please visit the Undergraduate Veteran Students Admission page to find information to help you apply.

Admission is provisional until all eligibility requirements and deadlines have been met.

Check for Impaction

To find out whether or not impaction affects you, take the following steps in the suggested order:

1. Determine if you will be applying to an impacted major.

2. You are NOT affected by impaction if you are a nonresident of California or a U.S. service member (active duty or veteran).

Course Completion

Complete all course work required for admission by the end of the following terms:

  • Fall admission: Complete all requirements by the end of the previous spring term. No summer course work taken after you applied for admission to CSUN will be considered for admission.
  • Spring admission: Complete all requirements by the end of the previous fall term.
Scroll back to the top of the page