Graduate Admissions

Office of Graduate Studies

Valera Hall (VH) 275

Phone: 818-677-5800

Domestic Graduate Admissions
Email graduate help

Returning Graduate Students

Welcome back to CSUN! You're back to continue your journey as a Matador, and we're here to help. The steps to your return will depend on your student status. If you are not sure about your student status, please refer to the Returning Admissions page.

Students Returning in Good Standing

If you were a student in good standing and you have not enrolled at CSUN for three consecutive semesters, you must reapply for admission to the university.

Your department may also have additional requirements for you to be readmitted. Please be sure to contact the department of interest at Graduate Programs to follow their policies.

Steps to Re-Apply

The general application filing period for CSUN applications begins Oct. 1 for the coming fall and Aug. 1 for the coming spring. Application deadlines will vary for each graduate program. Visit the programs department website for specific dates. you can also use the CSU Application Dates & Deadlines tool.

Before beginning your online university application, be sure to contact your department or program. You may need to submit additional documents before re-applying.

  • Credential program applicants: For forms and instructions, visit the Credential Office page How to Apply. You should also contact the Credential Office for guidance.
  • Master's program applicants: Review admission requirements for your CSUN graduate program in the University Catalog or on the department page. Contact the department to determine whether higher admission standards, an additional departmental application, and/or other documents are required.
  • Doctoral program applicants: Visit the Doctoral Programs page or your department for application instructions.

  • Once you know your program requirements and deadlines, start gathering the materials you need. You will need a copy of your transcripts, test scores, household annual income and your Social Security number, if you have one.
  • You may also need to submit additional materials based on your graduate program. Please check with your department to see which items are needed and where to send them.

Complete your application on Cal State Apply.

  • If you are a returning student in good academic standing who has not taken courses elsewhere since your last attendance at CSUN, no transcripts are required.
  • If you have completed additional courses since you last attended CSUN:
    • Submit your official transcripts.
    • Send preliminary transcripts for course work now in progress.
    • You may need to provide a duplicate set of official transcripts for your graduate program admissions. Be sure to check your department's requirements.
  • For information on how to submit transcripts, see the "Transcript Submission Information" section below.

Complete any supplemental application required by your program. This may include filling out a separate application or submitting additional documents. Be sure to meet their deadlines for submission.

After you apply, you'll receive an email from CSUN with the info you'll need to create or update your account in our CSUN Portal. Once you've set up an account, you can check your application status. Each department has its own criteria for admissions and will notify you when it has reached a decision.

Previously Disqualified Graduate Students

Your readmission will be determined by your respective graduate or credential program. Please refer to the University Catalog for more information.

You will need to complete a Graduate Reinstatement form to be readmitted. Contact your program coordinator to complete the process.

Read more information on the disqualification and readmission process for graduate students.

Read more information on the disqualification and readmission process for credential students.

Transcript Submission Information

How to Submit Transcripts

  • Paper transcripts must be received in sealed, unopened envelopes. Ask your previous school(s) to send your official transcripts to:

    California State University, Northridge
    Office of the Registrar
    18111 Nordhoff Street
    Northridge, CA 91330-8207
  • For electronic transcripts, choose "CSU Northridge" as the recipient. 
  • If you have any California community college transcripts, please review eTranscript California and have the transcripts sent through this system.
  • You may also hand deliver transcripts in sealed, unopened envelopes to the Admissions and Records window at the Student Services Center, Bayramian Hall, 1st floor lobby (BH 100) during our business hours.
  • If you were previously disqualified and have only taken courses in CSUN’s Tseng College since your disqualification, no transcripts are required.
  • Please do not send duplicate paper and electronic transcripts.

Transcript Deadlines

Please contact your individual program for transcript deadlines. Contact information can be found via Graduate Programs.

Graduate Admissions

Office of Graduate Studies

Valera Hall (VH) 275

Phone: 818-677-5800

Domestic Graduate Admissions
Email graduate help

Scroll back to the top of the page