The University Student Union (USU) is one of the largest employers of students on campus, striving to provide meaningful employment opportunities for high performing individuals. Apply today to be a part of a dynamic team of employees committed to working hard, doing a good job, and having fun!
Student/Graduate Assistant Employee
Group Exercise Instructor
Do you have experience leading Group Exercise classes? Are you passionate in sharing your love for fitness and want to help the next generation to move better and more often? Then you should apply to be a Group Instructor at the Student Recreation Center! Positions are open year-round to any applicant (student or non-student) that meets the minimum qualifications. Those who qualify will be invited to attend a group audition in May and October (dependent upon when application is received). Pay is based on upon experience and qualifications. See job description below.
Group Exercise Instructor Job Description
JOB TITLE: GROUP EXERCISE INSTRUCTOR
WAGE RANGE: PAY IS DEPENDENT UPON EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS
$23.00/$28.00/$33.00 PER HOUR RATE FOR INSTRUCTION
$14.25/$14.25/$16.00 PER HOUR MEETING RATE FOR NON-INSTRUCTION
DEPARTMENT: STUDENT RECREATION CENTER — FITNESS PROGRAMS
WORK SCHEDULE: PART-TIME, TEMPORARY 6 MONTH APPOINTMENT; RENEWABLE. SCHEDULE VARIES BASED ON DEPARTMENT NEED. WORK SCHEDULE TO BE DETERMINED BY SUPERVISOR.
Reporting to the Coordinator, Fitness Programs, develops group exercise routines and programs for participants with a variety of skill and fitness levels. Routines and programs include a variety of currently popular class formats that fall within the categories of cardio strength, cardio dance, mind and body, aqua, and functional training.
- Instructs fitness-based group exercise classes ranging from 25-55 minutes in length
- Conducts one-on-one private lessons in modalities he/she/they are certified/trained in, as needed
- Selects music that has the correct beats and rhythm based on class type
- Plans and executes fun and effective exercise routines that are safe and appropriate for participants
- Promotes and cues proper form and body alignment
- Provides intensity options and educates participants on how to select movements appropriate for their fitness level
- Initiates emergency response procedures
- Promotes SRC programs and events through in-class announcements, as instructed
- Assist with special programs, services or projects on occasion
- Performs other related duties as assigned
EXPERIENCE AND CERTIFICATIONS/TRAININGS
- Minimum of 4 months or 1 semester of cumulative experience instructing group exercise classes
- Minimum of 1 current certification or training from the following categories:
- A current nationally recognized Group Exercise Instructor certification (ACE®, AFAA®, NETA®, ACSM®, ISSA® or comparable)
- A degree in Kinesiology or a related field
- A current specialty certification or training from a nationally recognized certifying agency (Yoga Alliance®, Pilates Method Alliance®, Spinning®, Zumba®, TRX® or comparable)
- *Current American Red Cross or American Heart Association certification including adult CPR, AED and first aid recommended
- Continued, supervisor-approved professional development required during course of employment
- Maintain all certifications/trainings, that are required for the position, and keep in a current status during employment
- Mandatory attendance at Student Recreation Center (SRC) and University Student Union (USU) employee orientation and trainings, as well as department specific trainings and meetings
*Applicants that do not currently hold an American Red Cross or American Heart Association certification are eligible for employment consideration; however, must become adult CPR, AED and first aid certified prior to instructing classes and no later than 30 days from hire date. Trainings are periodically offered, free of charge, to USU employees. If employees are unable to attend a USU-sponsored training, he/she/they must obtain certification through American Red Cross or American Heart Association at their own expense.
KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES
- Ability to effectively direct and monitor the activities of others
- Strong verbal and non-verbal communication skills
- Effective interpersonal skills
- Ability to maintain a neat appearance
- Ability to make recommendations and independent decisions
- Ability to adhere to work rules, follow directions, use time effectively and work productively without close supervision
- Ability to work in a culturally diverse, ethnically pluralistic environment
TYPICAL WORKING CONDITIONS AND PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS:
Work is typically performed indoors. Ability to work weekends, evenings, holidays, finals weeks, and during academic interim and break periods. Ability to adhere to deadlines. Must be flexible, adaptable, and readily able to adjust to changes in work environment. Position requires public contact. Demonstrated physical abilities include fingering, handling, and reaching with hands and arms; walking, running, skipping, jumping, stooping kneeling crouching, or crawling. Employee must occasionally sit and/or stand for extended periods. Employee must be able to talk and hear. Employee must frequently move and/or lift 10 pounds and occasionally up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
To apply, follow these steps:
Step 1: Visit CSUN's employment opportunities web page, click on “External Applicants”
Step 2: Create an account, click on “Register Now”
Note: Current CSUN employees should apply through the myNorthridge portal.
Step 3: Search for Job ID# 8381 titled Group Exercise Instructor (USU — continuous) and completely fill in all sections of the online application. In addition to completing the online application, a resume and copies of certifications/certificate of completions are strongly encouraged.
If you are seeking a professional position and have experience working in recreation and fitness, then we may have a spot for you at the Student Recreation Center! In alignment with the university, we are committed to the success of our students and our colleagues. We invite you to explore your career opportunities to work with others who are making a difference.
The University Student Union is an equal opportunity employer and prohibits unlawful discrimination based on genetic characteristics or information, race, color, creed, sex, gender, gender identity, gender stereotyping, gender expression, marital status, age, national origin or orientation or any other consideration made unlawful by federal, state or local laws.