The University Student Union (USU) is one of the largest employers of students on campus, striving to provide meaningful employment opportunities for high performing individuals. Apply today to be a part of a dynamic team of employees committed to working hard, doing a good job, and having fun!
Student/Graduate Assistant Employee
Group Exercise Instructor
Do you have experience leading Group Exercise classes? Are you passionate in sharing your love for fitness and want to help the next generation to move better and more often? Then you should apply to be a Group Instructor at the Student Recreation Center! Positions are open year-round to any applicant (student or non-student) that meets the minimum qualifications. Those who qualify will be invited to attend a group audition in May and October (dependent upon when application is received). Pay is based on upon experience and qualifications. See job description below.
Group Exercise Instructor Job Description
GROUP EXERCISE INSTRUCTOR
(TIERS: GROUP EXERCISE INSTRUCTOR I, II, III AND IV)
PAY AND TIER IS DEPENDENT UPON EXPERIENCE AND QUALIFICATIONS
$20.00/$23.00/$28.00/$33.00 PER HOUR RATE FOR INSTRUCTION
$15.00/$15.00/$15.00/$16.00 PER HOUR MEETING RATE FOR NON-INSTRUCTION
STUDENT RECREATION CENTER — FITNESS PROGRAMS
PART-TIME, TEMPORARY EMERGENCY 6 MONTH APPOINTMENT; MAY BE RENEWED. SCHEDULE VARIES BASED ON DEPARTMENT NEED. WORK SCHEDULE TO BE DETERMINED BY SUPERVISOR.
Reporting to the Fitness Programs Coordinator, develops fitness or wellness routines and programs for groups of participants with a variety of skills and abilities. Routines and programs include a variety of currently popular class formats that fall within the categories of strength training, cardio conditioning, cardio dance, mind and body, aqua, and functional training.
- Instruct live fitness or mindfulness classes to groups of 3 or more people in formats Instructor is certified/trained in
- May record fitness or mindfulness videos in formats Instructor is certified/trained in, as requested by Supervisor
- May conduct one-on-one private lessons in formats Instructor is certified/trained in, as requested by Supervisor
- Select music that has the correct beats and rhythm based on class type
- Plan and execute fun and effective exercise routines that are safe and appropriate for participants of all levels
- Promote and cue proper form and body alignment
- Provide intensity options and educate participants on how to select movements appropriate for their fitness level
- Initiate emergency response procedures, as needed
- Promote SRC programs and events through in-class announcements, as instructed
- May assist with special programs, services or projects on occasion
- Perform other related duties as assigned
EXPERIENCE AND CERTIFICATIONS/TRAININGS
- Minimum of 1 current certification or training from the following categories:
- A current nationally recognized Group Exercise Instructor certification (ACE®, AFAA®, NETA®, ACSM®, ISSA® or comparable)
- A degree in Kinesiology or a related field
- A current specialty certification or training from a nationally recognized certifying agency (Yoga Alliance®, Pilates Method Alliance®, Spinning®, Zumba®, TRX® or comparable)
- Applicants selected for hire as Group Exercise Instructor I will have a 30-day introductory period. During this time, work is supervised in order for the Instructor to demonstrate competency before being cleared for independent teaching
- Current American Red Cross certification (adult CPR, AED and first aid)*
- Maintain all certifications/trainings, that are required for the position, and keep in a current status during employment
- May be required to attend Student Recreation Center (SRC) and University Student Union (USU) employee orientation and trainings, as well as department specific trainings and meetings
*Applicants that do not currently hold an American Red Cross certification are eligible for employment consideration; however, must become adult CPR, AED and first aid certified prior to instructing classes and no later than 30 days from hire date. Trainings are periodically offered, free of charge, to USU employees. If employees are unable to attend a USU-sponsored training, he/she/they must obtain certification through American Red Cross at their own expense.
KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES
- Ability to effectively direct and monitor the activities of others
- Strong verbal and non-verbal communication skills
- Effective interpersonal skills
- Ability to maintain a neat appearance
- Ability to make recommendations and independent decisions
- Ability to adhere to work rules, follow directions, use time effectively and work productively without close supervision
- Ability to work in a culturally diverse, ethnically pluralistic environment
TYPICAL WORKING CONDITIONS AND PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS:
Work is typically performed indoors. Ability to work weekends, evenings, holidays, finals weeks, and during academic interim and break periods. Ability to adhere to deadlines. Must be flexible, adaptable, and readily able to adjust to changes in work environment. Position requires public contact and/or instruction via video conferencing software. Demonstrated physical abilities include fingering, handling, and reaching with hands and arms; walking, running, skipping, jumping, stooping kneeling crouching, or crawling. Employee must occasionally sit and/or stand for extended periods. Employee must be able to talk and hear. Employee must frequently move and/or lift 10 pounds and occasionally up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
The University Student Union (USU) at California State University, Northridge (CSUN) is proud to operate on the CSUN campus. As part of the campus community, the USU follows California State University (CSU) policy that requires all faculty, staff and students who are accessing campus facilities at any university location to be vaccinated against the virus that causes COVID-19. The policy does allow for medical or religious exemption from the vaccination requirement. The USU requires all of its employees, current or new, to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, or present a medical or religious exemption and any appropriate back up documentation.
Complete the on-line application/resume upload submission process in order to be considered for any position within the University Student Union and Student Recreation Center.
For more detailed information on the application and hiring process, please view the link below and continue to the Group Exercise Instructor hire pool under the Auxiliary Staff Opportunities link, job ID#: 499263: https://www.csun.edu/careers
A background check (including a criminal records check) must be completed satisfactorily. Failure to satisfactorily complete the background check may affect the hiring status of candidates selected for the position.
The person holding this position is considered a 'mandated reporter' under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
The University Student Union is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Affirmative Action employer and does not discriminate against persons on the basis of age, disability, disabled veteran or Vietnam-era veteran status, sexual identity, sexual orientation, sexual expression, gender, marital status, national origin, race, religion or genetic information.
If you are seeking a professional position and have experience working in recreation and fitness, then we may have a spot for you at the Student Recreation Center! In alignment with the university, we are committed to the success of our students and our colleagues. We invite you to explore your career opportunities to work with others who are making a difference.
The University Student Union is an equal opportunity employer and prohibits unlawful discrimination based on genetic characteristics or information, race, color, creed, sex, gender, gender identity, gender stereotyping, gender expression, marital status, age, national origin or orientation or any other consideration made unlawful by federal, state or local laws.