• new student orientation

    Welcome To CSUN

Transfer FAQs

What is Transfer Student Orientation?

The Transfer Student Orientation is designed to help students understand college expectations and individual responsibilities as CSUN students. In addition, transfer students will familiarize themselves with building locations and important campus services. The orientation allows transfer students the opportunity to meet highly trained orientation leaders, who provide valuable information, guidance and insight about the university. Transfer students will also make new friends, easing the transition to CSUN. Overall, the Transfer Student Orientation allows transfer students to become knowledgeable and well-prepared students to begin their journey towards graduation with confidence.

How do I register?


To register, please visit http://nso.studentaffairs.csun.edu/ to utilize your CSUN student ID number and last name.

Your CSUN student ID number can be found in various student documents that you have received from the Office of Admissions and Records. Your CSUN student ID number can most easily be found on your student admissions packet, which showed you your date to register for classes.

How long is Transfer Student Orientation?

Transfer Student Orientation will last between 4 to 5 hours.  For an example of the program schedule, navigate to the NSO Transfer websiteand click on the "orientation schedule" drop down tab located at the center of the page.  Or click here.

Is it mandatory to attend Transfer Student Orientation?

Transfer students are not required to attend orientation, but it is highly recommended. The information provided offers insight that will help transfer students ease into the transition to California State University, Northridge.

Do I have to pay to attend Transfer Student Orientation?

Yes, the fee for the Transfer Student Orientation is $35. Following orientation attendance, the university will bill each student individually. This charge can be found on the student's myNorthridge Portal account by choosing View Account Information under the My Financial Obligations tab.

What does my $35 fee cover?

The $35 fee includes program materials, handbook, continental breakfast and lunch.

Will financial aid cover my $35 fee?

No, financial aid rewards will not cover the orientation fee.

Will I receive lunch at the Transfer Student Orientation?


Although lunch options will meet most dietary needs (ex: Vegetarian, Vegan, etc.), we'd like as much notice as possible.  When you check in, please be sure to let your NSO leaders know of your dietary preferences. All planned meals will be catered by CSUN Dining.

NOTE: Water Bottles – Help us reduce waste of single-use plastic bottles. You will be provided with a reusable water bottle during lunch; however feel free to bring your own bottle should you wish to stay hydrated prior to the lunchtime meal. There are water refill stations located throughout campus. For more information about CSUN’s sustainability efforts, visit www.csun.edu/sustainability and visit their table at the Resource Fair.


Where do I park during the Transfer Student Orientation?

Parking is available in Lot G3, located on Zelzah Ave. and Prairie St. There will be directional signs posted leading you to the parking lot. Students will be provided with a courtesy-parking pass on the day of their orientation.

Please note that the parking pass is only valid the day of your orientation. All other days require a CSUN parking permit.

If you misplaced your parking pass, an orientation leader will be available in the G3 parking lot to provide you with a new one.

What should I bring to Transfer Student Orientation?

  • Class Schedule: Orientation leaders will be able to point out the location of your classes.
  • Good and Positive Attitude: To make the most out of your orientation experience, have a positive mindset.
  • Courtesy Parking Pass: You will need to display this in your vehicle when parking in Lot G3.

Also, keep in mind the warm Northridge climate when choosing your wardrobe.

Can family and friends attend the Transfer Student Orientation with me?

No, the orientation is designed specifically to assist students in learning about responsibilities and challenges they may expect as new students attending CSUN. The orientation provides information on what students can do and possible resources to seek when assistance is needed. Family and friends are highly discouraged from attending.

What can family and friends do while I am at the Transfer Student Orientation?

The NSO program is for students only; however, should anyone be accompanying you, we'll have additional orientation leaders who can direct them to the nearest operating facilities as well as provide quick facts on how to navigate the campus with a self-guided tour.

In the immediate area, Northridge has a variety of shopping centers, movie theaters, bowling alleys, miniature golf parks and bookstores that your family and friends may enjoy. A more detailed list with directions will be available for distribution on the day of orientation.

Will I get academic advisement or be able to register for my classes during my orientation day?

No, academic advisement and university registration are separate events that will not occur at the orientation. For more information, please contact your advisor. You may refer to the University Catalog for a list of colleges and departments.

Where can I obtain my CSUN student ID and email?

When you are admitted to the university, your CSUN student ID is issued by the Admissions and Records department. You may also sign up for your CSUN email address at your earliest convenience. If you need additional assistance please contact the Office of Student Involvement and Development at (818) 677-4100.

What is the Upper Division Writing Proficiency Exam (UDWPE)?

The UDWPE is an exam that every student must pass to demonstrate his or her writing skills. To find more information on testing, please call (818) 677-2369 or visit the Testing Center website.

Who should I contact if I need information about disability-related accommodations for the Transfer Student Orientation events?

Information about accommodations for students with disabilities can be obtained by contacting the Disability Resources and Educational Services office at (818) 677-2684. The locations visited/used during NSO will be ADA accessible.  Feel free to contact us if you have questions on personal items that you may consider bringing: medical devices, wheelchairs, medications, etc.)

How do I change my personal information if it is incorrect?

If your personal information is incorrect, you must correct it through Admissions and Records. For a name change, fill out the Name Change Form and return it to Admissions and Records in Bayramian Hall.

You may change your address or phone number by logging on to myNorthridge Portal. Click on Student Center (SOLAR), scroll to the bottom and click either the address or phone number link, whichever you wish to change.

For additional matters, please visit Admissions and Records in Bayramian Hall or contact them at (818) 677-3700.


If you have any further questions, please contact the New Student Orientation staff at (818) 677-4100 or via email at orientation@csun.edu. You may also review the FAQs page for any questions you may have.

Disclaimer: The New Student Orientation website contains information authorized and available at the time of publication. Its content, including dates and fee amounts, is subject to change without prior notice or obligation.