- A new GWAR policy is in effect for all CSUN students with catalog years 2023 and beyond. Please see below for details and consult with your academic advisor if you have questions.
- The GWAR was waived for undergraduate students with catalog years prior to 2023. You do not need to do anything; your academic record will be updated automatically.
- Passage of the Upper Division Writing Proficiency Exam (UDWPE) is no longer a prerequisite for enrollment in any course.
- Graduate students are exempt from the GWAR.
- Upper Division General Education coursework transferred from another institution (including CSU Fully Online coursework) does not meet the GWAR.
About the GWAR
All CSU undergraduate students with catalog years 2023 and beyond must demonstrate competency in writing skills as a requirement for graduation. At CSUN, students who have met the lower division writing requirement, completed 56 units or more, and intend to graduate with a baccalaureate degree are required to demonstrate their writing proficiency in one of two ways: