California Dream Act

The California Dream Act of 2011 became law through the passage of Assembly Bills 130 and 131. AB 130 and AB 131 allow AB 540 students to apply for state and institutional grants, and privately funded scholarships.


California Dream Act Application (CADAA)

How do I apply?

To apply for grant funding, you will need to complete the California Dream Act Application each year between Oct. 1 and March 2.

You must file the California Dream Act Application even if you have been issued a social security number through the DACA program or have been issued a social security number for work purposes only.

Please be advised, you do not need a social security number to receive financial assistance through the California Dream Act.  All students who apply for aid through CADAA must meet AB540 criteria.

What are the AB 540 requirements?

  • The student must have attended a public or private high school in California for three or more years
  • The student must have graduated from a California high school or attained the equivalent (e.g., passed the GED test or California High School Proficiency Exam) prior to the start of the term
  • If the student is without lawful immigration status, he or she must file a California Nonresident Tuition Exemption Request stating that he or she has filed an application to legalize his or her immigration status, or will file an application as soon as he or she is eligible. The California Nonresident Tuition Exemption Request must be submitted to Admissions and Records.
  • Nonimmigrant students are not eligible. Nonimmigrant students, as defined by federal immigration law, may hold one of the following visas: A, B, C ,D, E, F, G, H, U, J, K ,L, M, N, O, P, Q, R, S,TN,TD, V, TROV and NATO.

What assistance is available to Dream students?

Students that complete a California Dream Application by March 2nd can be considered for the following types of aid:
• California State University Grants
• State Grants
• California Dream Loan Program
• Scholarships



Check your status

After the California Student Aid Commission (CSAC) validates your information, CSUN will electronically receive your application. You may check your financial aid status on the myNorthridge Portal or by calling 1-(818)-677-4085 to speak with a financial aid representative. Please note that CSUN will not begin processing aid applications until mid-April.

Additional information
You may be asked to send in additional information before you can be awarded. Check your CSUN Gmail, and view your To-Do List on the myNorthridge Portal. Submit all required documentation promptly.

 Award notices
The Financial Aid & Scholarship Department will begin awarding new freshmen and transfer students in late April for the upcoming academic year. Continuing students will be awarded in late June. Award notices are sent to your CSUN email address and awards are visible on the myNorthridge Portal.