Your application for the Bachelor’s Degree and Diploma initiates the graduation evaluation process, participation in Commencement, and receipt of your diploma. You may apply for graduation once you have declared a major and completed 90 units (including work-in-progress) or approximately one year prior to your planned graduation date. At least one semester of work must be completed in residence at Cal State Northridge before our office can complete your graduation evaluation.
- STEP 1 - Review the Graduation Checklist so you'll have an overview of the process and avoid common roadblocks that can prevent you from graduating on your planned date.
- STEP 2 - Print and complete the Application for Bachelor’s Degree and Diploma (.pdf).
- STEP 3 - Schedule an appointment with your major advisor. Take your completed "Application for Bachelor's Degree and Diploma" to your appointment along with the following documents:
- First Bachelor's Degree Candidates: Bring a copy of My Academic Planner (MAP) or My Plan to Graduate (MPG) to your session. Use MAP or MPG to plan your remaining coursework in future terms.
- Second Bachelor's Degree Candidates: Bring a copy of your "department evaluation" to the meeting. MAP and MPG are not available for second bachelor's degree students at this time.
- STEP 4 - Review your planned coursework with your major advisor and your minor advisor if any. Obtain their signatures for the major, second major, and minor(s) on your "Application for Bachelor’s Degree and Diploma." The application is valid for only 30 days from the date signed by the major/minor advisor(s).
- STEP 5 - With your completed application, attach one of the following documents:
- First Bachelor's Degree Candidates: Include a copy of your MAP or MPG showing your planned courses.
- First Bachelor's Degree majoring in Journalism: Include a copy of your Journalism department evaluation along with your MAP or My Plan to Graduate.
- Second Bachelor's Degree Candidates: Include a copy of your department evaluation.
- STEP 6 - File the application, attached documents, and $47 processing fee with Undergraduate Degree Services in Bayramian Hall Room 150 before your APPLICATION DEADLINE. A $10 late fee will be assessed if applying after the filing deadline. Applying late may also delay receipt of your graduation evaluation and your graduating senior status priority registration appointment time. Commencement participation could also be affected.
- STEP 7 - Degree candidates must pass the Upper Division Writing Proficiency Exam (UDWPE) before their graduate date. For the last possible date to take and pass the test for your semester or term of graduation, visit UDWPE Test & Registration Dates.
- STEP 8 - Approximately 8 weeks after filing the "Application for Bachelor's Degree and Diploma,” an email notification from your graduation consultant will be sent to your CSUN email account informing you that your graduation evaluation has been completed.