TUC Sponsored Programs


1. Contact Information

For insurance and risk-management question related to Sponsored Programs, please contact:

The University Corporation

Georg Jahn
(818) 677-2698


Mahyar Sadri
(818) 677-6414

For all campus related insurance/risk management issues please contact Richard Spaniardi at the CSUN Risk Management Office at 818 677-2079 or richard.spaniardi@csun.edu

2. General Coverage Maintained by The University Corporation

Self Insured Liability

Insurer: CSURMA Self Insured AGPIP SIR Fund
Policy: AGPIP-0506-01
Effective Date: 01-Jul-2005
Expiration Date: 01-Jul-2006


General Liability - Each Occurrence $250,000

Excess SIR Liability

Insurer: GENESIS
Policy: YXB300954 B


General Liability - Each Occurrence $750,000
General Liability - Aggregate Limit $1,500,000

Excess SIR E&O Liability

Insurer: GENESIS
Policy: YXB300954 B


SIR Errors & Omissions $250,000
Excess SIR Errors & Omissions $750,000
Aggregate Limit: $1,500,000

Excess Liability

Insurer: Schools Excess Liability Fund
Policy: TO705-19J1247


General Liability - Each Occurrence $14,000,000

Workers' Compensation

Insurer: AO-COMP Plan Inc.
Policy: 05-I-4509-024


Disease - Each Employee $1,500,000
Each Accident $1,500,000
Disease - Policy Limit $1,500,000

3. Determination of Insurance Requirements for Sponsored Programs

 ActivityRequired Action
Third Party OrganizationsServices provided by an outside organization vendor, i.e. vendor, caterer, consultant, independent contractor, government agency, etc.?A formal agreement outlining the responsibilities of each party may be required. Contact TUC - Sponsored Programs at X 2698 with detailed information on the activity so that an assessment can be made. To review the insurance requirements for vendors and independent contractors, please go to: http://www-admn.csun.edu/risk/riskweb_08/insurance-programs/insurance_for_purchase/vendors-and-contractors.pdf
Professional ServicesCounseling to individuals or groups as part of your project?Please contact The University Corporation - Sponsored Programs at X 2698 with detailed information on the activities.
 Involvement of minors?Often when working with K-12 (minors), background checks, immunizations and informed consents may be required. To ascertain as to whether there are requirements that must be met, please contact The University Corporation - Sponsored Programs at X 2698 with detailed information.
TravelTransportation of high value items, while traveling?Depending on the circumstances, you may be personally responsible for the replacement of university property that is lost, damaged or stolen while under your care, custody and control. If you wish to insure items of high value please e-mail a detailed list, including description, estimated values, destination, and time and length of your travel to gjahn@csun.edu
 Car Rental, while traveling within the United States?Travelers should purchase liability and collision coverage from rental agencies in all areas. Insurance costs on automobile rentals can be reimbursed from the grant.
 Transportation of non-CSUN/TUC employees, while traveling?Contact TUC-SP with detailed information on the circumstances.
 Travel outside the United States?We strongly recommend that you check with your health insurance, if medical expenses will be covered in the destination country of your travel. We also recommend that you obtain insurance coverage for medical evacuation and repatriation. For questions, please contact The University Corporation - Sponsored Programs at X 2698 with detailed information on the destination and the time and length you intend to travel.
 Travel to a country/region; for which the US Department of State has issued a travel advisory?Contact TUC-SP with detailed information on the region, you intend to travel to and the activities you intend to conduct there.
 Car Rental outside the United States?Travelers should purchase liability and collision coverage from rental agencies in all areas. Insurance costs on foreign automobile rentals can be reimbursed from the grant.
TransportationTransport of participants with commercial vehiclesAll multi passenger vehicle providers must conform to a number of requirements and must have proof of sufficient insurance coverage. Contact the CSUN-Contract Purchasing and Contract Administration at x 2301 for a listing of authorized multi passenger vehicle providers.
 Transport of participants with private carsAuthorization to Operate a Privately Owned Vehicle (.doc)
 Use of 15+ passenger VansThe Use of 15+ passenger vans is prohibited!
Rent/Lease of Equipment/Real EstateWill you rent or lease real estate specifically for the project?See item 6
 Rental or lease of equipment?Contact TUC-SP with detailed information on the real estate.
VolunteersParticipation of unpaid volunteers?Contact TUC-SP with detailed information on the number of volunteers and the type of activity. The volunteer will need to complete a form 'Participant Air Travel Informed Consent Statement' (word).
 Unpaid volunteer conducting any air travel (domestic or abroad) as part of the project?Contact TUC-SP with detailed information on the name of the volunteer, the travel dates and destination. The volunteer will need to complete a form 'Participant Air Travel Informed Consent Statement' (word).
High Risk ActivitiesUse of a boat, or any other watercraft?Contact TUC-SP with detailed information, including type, length, and engine of the boat/watercraft.
 Any activities on oceans, lakes, and rivers?Contact TUC-SP with detailed information on the location and the type of activity.
 Any activity that associates an extraordinary level of risk?Contact TUC-SP with detailed information on the type of activity.
Special EventsConducting a special event (conferences, gatherings, celebrations) as part of the project?Contact TUC-SP with detailed information on the type of event and conducted activities.
Special Events Insurance Application (word)

4. International Travel

Health Care Cost

The University Corporation does not provide for any additional coverage of health care costs during international travel. Before going on an international trip, please check with your health care provider if you will be covered in the country(ies) of your destination.

The University Corporation requires faculty and staff conducting international travel under a sponsored program to purchase additional coverage!

Additional coverage can be purchased through CSUN Risk Management at (818) 677-2079 from AIG/Driver Alliant.

  • Workers Compensation for Non-TUC Staff (e.g. Students, Volunteers)
  • General Liability
  • Accidental Death or Dismemberment (ADD)
  • Repatriation
  • Automobile Liability in excess of the coverage of the local carrier

In addition you will be entitled to receive concierge services abroad, such as help with lost and stolen passports and luggage, as well as legal support. Coverage will not include travel via air and other carriers and will start at the moment of arrival in the foreign country. The average cost for a 10 day trip will be about $30-$60. You will need to have to purchase of coverage completed before you start travelling. Please contact The University Corporation to receive a quote.

International Travel Guidelines

(California State University - Executive Order 715)

  • Every trip should require attendance at one orientation meeting (minimum) where the following information should be covered:
  • Arrangements for any out-of-country visas, immunizations, etc.
  • Discuss travel and packing tips, medical and health concerns, modes of transportation, hours of departure and return.
  • Review background information pertaining to upcoming cultural differences that a student may experience while visiting foreign countries.
  • Obtain waivers and health forms. Participants should file a waiver for medical treatment and a health questionnaire explaining any special medical problems or needs to the trip leader.
  • Remind participants to carry sufficient personal medication supplies and physician documentation for medication to last the length of travel or to replace medication lost during the trip.
  • Review emergency preparedness processes and the crisis response plan.
  • Provide current health and safety information to participants (i.e. prophylactic precautions, viral infections carried by insects and how to protect themselves against known infectious disease breakouts - check with the World Health Organization). Provide information about emergency medical assistance, emergency evacuation, and repatriation procedures. Review options for medical insurance coverage for foreign travel.
  • Identify health and safety products or services that may not be available at overseas locations.
  • Conduct orientation briefings once the destination is reached which include information on health and safety, legal, environmental, political, cultural and religious conditions in the host country.
  • Communicate codes of conduct for staff and students, addressing such issues as fraternizing, consuming alcohol, controlling activities, and conduct during "free time". Advise partmipants of the consequences of non-compliance and take appropriate action when aware that participants are in violation.
  • Review International Programs Policies and Procedures.

Travel to High Hazard Countries on the U.S. Department of State Warning Sites

All international travel to high hazard countries listed on the US State Department travel warning sites must be approved by the Chancellor's Office and by the President of CSUN.

Also, enclosed is a memorandum from Vice Chancellor Quillian to the presidents dated March 7, 2011 regarding foreign travel insurance program-here is link as well:

Executive Order 1041-Student Travel

Should you have questions regarding the travel / insurance, please email Charlene Minnick, Assistant Vice Chancellor, Risk Management-cminnick@calstate.edu or by call at (562) 951-4580.

5. Special Events

Special events are not covered by The University Corporation's general liability coverage. However, TUC has established a program with Driver Allient that will allow Principal Investigators to apply on a case by case basis, for the coverage of special events.

If you are interested in conducting a special event, please fill out the 'Special Event Insurance Application' and contact Mahyar Sadri, Georg Jahn, or John Griffin at The University Corporation. Please, do not fax the application to Driver Allient at this point.

The costs of the additional coverage for your special event depends on a variety of factors and will be billed seperately to you, or your project.

6. Auto Accidents

Liability insurance coverage follows the vehicle in CA. So, the owner's liability coverage would be primary. If it were a serious accident and there was not sufficient coverage, and the employee was on the job at the time of the accident, AORMA's coverage would kick in as excess to the employee's liability coverage.

There is no coverage with AORMA for the damage to the employee's vehicle. Unfortunately if the employee does not carry collision coverage, and they are at fault for the accident, there is no coverage for the employee's vehicle.

7. Leasing/Renting Residential Facilities

Sponsored Programs Equipment

Sponsored Programs equipment stored/used at a rented facility is not covered by any of TUC's insurances. Valuable equipment needs to be covered through an 'Inland Marine Policy'. Please provide a detailed list of the equipment, including the approximate age and purchase price. TUC will then apply for coverage through our insurance brokers. Any additional cost will need to be charged to the project.

Personal Property

Personal property stored/used at a rented facility is not covered by any of TUC's insurances. Project Directors and project staff must either provide evidence of coverage through their own 'Renters Insurance' through a third party provider, or sign a hold harmless agreement with TUC. At this time TUC is not able to purchase Renters Insurance for personal property through its program.