Immunization Requirements for Incoming Freshmen and Transfer Students

All incoming students are required to comply with the California State University (CSU) Systemwide Updated EO 803 Policy on Immunization Requirements and Recommendations. Per the EO 803 Policy, students must provide immunization records or proof of immunity to the following immunization:

Hepatitis B: Required for all students 18 and younger only at the time of the first day of attendance

Additionally, California State University, Northridge (CSUN) requires that students must provide immunization records or proof of immunity to the following vaccines:

Measles, Mumps and Rubella (MMR): Two doses are required with the first dose on or after your 1st birthday

Please submit your immunization records no later than the beginning of your first semester.

If you have any questions, please call the Klotz Student Health Center at (818) 677-3666, option 1.

How to Satisfy the Requirement

You must complete immunization requirements at the start of your first semester.  There are a few ways to satisfy this requirement:

Submit Official Immunization Requirements

Please upload your immunization records to the MyHealth patient portal using the Immunization Upload Instructions. Your records will be processed within 5 business days.

Obtain a Titer Test

A titer test can be used when immunization records are unavailable. A titer test is a laboratory (blood) test to determine immunity status to an infection or disease. You can schedule an appointment for a titer test at the Klotz Student Health Center or with your personal healthcare provider. Titer test records are official immunization records.

Submit an Exemption

A student may be exempted from these requirements with a verified medical or religious exemption. Please refer to the medical and religious exemptions below for more information.

Medical Exemption Letter

A medical exemption can be requested if a student has a medical condition for which an approved vaccine presents a significant risk of a serious adverse reaction. Medical exemptions must be verified and signed by a certified/licensed healthcare professional (i.e., Physician [MD] Doctor of Osteopathy [DO] Nurse Practitioner [NP]).

The medical exemption letter must contain:

  • Student’s legal name
  • Student’s date of birth
  • The vaccine (Hepatitis B and/or MMR)
  • The explanation or justification of medical exemption
  • Healthcare professional’s
    • Name or practice name
    • License number
    • Business address
    • Business phone number
    • Letterhead or stamp

Please email your completed medical exemption letter to Your request will be processed within 5 business days. If there are questions about the medical exemption letter, you will receive a phone call from a Student Health Center Staff within 5 business days of your submission.

Religious Exemption

A religious exemption can be requested if either is true:

  • A person’s sincerely held religious belief, observance, or practice, which includes any traditionally recognized religion, or
  • Beliefs, observances, or practices which an individual sincerely holds and that occupy a place of importance in that individual's life, comparable to that of traditionally recognized religions.

To request a religious exemption, please call the Klotz Student Health Center at (818) 677-3666, option 1 to schedule an appointment to review your request.

Recommended Immunizations and Screening

The CSU strongly encourages students to obtain the following immunizations and screening. Please discuss these immunizations with your healthcare provider. Information on these immunizations are available on the California Department of Public Health website.

Recommended Immunizations

  • Influenza vaccine
  • Meningococcal Conjugate (Serogroups A, C, Y, W-135) Vaccine
  • Serogroup B Meningococcal Vaccine
  • Tetanus-Diphtheria-Pertussis (Tdap) Vaccine
  • Varicella (Chickenpox) Vaccine
  • Hepatitis A (Hep A) Vaccine
  • Hepatitis B (Hep B) Vaccine – Ages 19 and older
  • Human Papillomavirus (HPV) Vaccine
  • Pneumococcal Vaccine
  • Polio Vaccine

Recommended Screening

  • Tuberculosis Screen/Risk Assessment

Academic Program and Fieldwork or Clinical Placement Requirements per EO 803

All students enrolled in health care fields of study or teacher education programs are required to provide documentation regarding the completion of immunizations and health screenings as established by the state licensing agencies or clinical placement sites or fieldwork sites. Students should contact the academic program for the specific required immunizations, health screenings (e.g., TB screening and physical examination) and any other fieldwork or clinical placement requirements.