What is Canvas Insights?
Canvas Insights is a new Canvas tool custom built by CSUN allowing faculty to easily communicate with individual students in their classes based on an early alert. Alerts are important because they let you provide positive feedback to students who are doing well, and encouragement and support to students who need assistance. Faculty can access Canvas Insights using the link in the Navigation menu.
How to Get Started
To get started, from one of your Canvas courses, select Canvas Insights in the Navigation menu to open the Canvas Insights dashboard.
- Select one of your courses in the Courses pull down menu, and you’ll see a list of the students enrolled in the course
- Use the Grade to Date two-way sliders to select low, middle-range or high-performing students
- Use the Sort by pull-down menu to sort the results by student name, CSUN ID, email address, number or late or missed submissions, or Grade to Date
- In the Assignment Group menu, choose All Assignments or narrow them down by Assignment Group
- In the Assignment Name menu, you can choose individual assignments within the Assignment Group you selected
- Use the Late Online Submissions and the Missed Online Submissions two-way sliders to select a range of late or missing submissions
- The Checked Syllabus section lets you narrow the list to students who have or have not accessed the Canvas-generated syllabus
- The Checked Gradebook section further refines the list based on students who have or have not accessed the gradebook
- Once you’ve defined the list of students, select Email this list
On the Messaging page, use the “Select Message to Send” pull-down menu to choose “Needs Assistance” or “Positive Feedback” messaging and the Subject Line and Message Text boxes will autofill with a corresponding message. You can edit or replace the text in the Message Text box, and then select the “Send Email” button to send your personalized message individually to each student in the list.
Faculty can receive Canvas Insights support from the Faculty Technology Center (FTC) by contacting email@example.com or visit the walk-in center in the Garden Level of the Oviatt library, room OV 33.