Canvas Certificates is a tool that enables you to provide certificates for your students in order to recognize the completion of their work. This may be used, for example, to provide proof of meeting certain course prerequisites such as completing lab work.
Canvas Certificates is added as part of a module, allowing you to set up prerequisites and automate when the certificate is made available to a student. The prerequisites work exactly the same as regular Canvas module prerequisites.
How to add a Canvas Certificate to your Canvas course
- Go to the Modules section of your Canvas course by selecting Modules in the left menu.
- Select +Module to create a new module.
- In the Module Name box, enter the name you would like to give your certificate. This will appear on the certificate.
- Add prerequisites just as you would for any other module. Read the Canvas help page for more information on prerequisites.
- You can also choose to lock the certificate until a certain date, by selecting the Lock until checkbox and then entering a date.
- Select Add Module when you have finished entering the Module Name and any prerequisites.
- Select + to add the certificate.
- Choose External Tool instead of Assignment as the type of item you are adding.
- Scroll down until you find CSUN Module Certificate. Click on this option.
- You should now see information in the URL box.
- Select Add Item.
- CSUN Module Certificate should now appear in your module.
- Please note that the module and the attached certificate are not published.
- Select the crossed out O symbol when you are ready to make the certificate available.
- Students can get access to their certificate by selecting CSUN Module Certificate once they have met the prerequisites and the module is not locked.
- The certificate will contain the student’s name, the date when they generated the certificate, and the title of the module. In the example below, the module was named Sample Certificate.
- Students can print the certificate by selecting Print Certificate.