Check back with us in September 2022 for Fall Information Session Dates
*Note: Due to staffing limitations, we will not be able to provide one-to-one advisement sessions during Spring and Summer 2022
Dear Prospective Students for Educational Psychology & Counseling,
Watch Our Information Session From Fall 2021
As a reminder, no applicant will be considered unless the following two applications have been received
MFT Applicants Only – Please follow the below prompts to complete the prerequisite course requirement page in the Apply Web department application. This will allow you to continue through the application and submit. Thank you.
- In the prerequisite section of the department application, there are four (4) courses listed as required, however, the MFT program only requires one course, EPC 451.
- For EPC 430, EPC 600, and PSY 310, select “plan to take” and type in the comment box “not required by program”.
Instructions for Completing the Application
1) Application for Admission to the University through Cal State Apply.
- Submit online, or Request paper copy from Admissions and Records, or copies are available at all CSU admissions offices.
2) Application for Admissions to the Educational Psychology and Counseling Department through College Net. Application portal opens on our prospective student webpage at the Apply Here button (see application deadlines below).
- Please see our application checklist (PDF) for a guide of what to submit through our department online application portal. You must submit all required elements of the application regardless of what has been submitted to the Cal State Apply system.
- This checklist is for organizational purposes. It is your responsibility to ensure that all requirements for admission are met and all application materials are uploaded through the College Net online portal.
- Please note: All paperwork submitted to the university becomes university property and will not be returned to the applicant for any reason, nor are we able to provide you with copies. Please note that there are no exceptions to this policy. Any requests for copies or for the return of application paperwork will be denied.
Individual programs have additional requirements, including completion of specific prerequisites for the program (see the prerequisite information tab on prospective student webpage or the University catalog for details).
In addition to the application, an on-campus or virtual interview (by-invitation-only) is required for admission. Note: Because of the large number of applicants, not all applicants will be invited for interviews. You will be notified shortly after the Application Deadline (typically within 2-3 weeks) of the final interview date and time. Since all candidates are interviewed together in a group setting, interview dates cannot be rescheduled.
- For all MS in Counseling programs (***This includes all options: College Counseling/Student Services, School Counseling, and School Psychology)
- Fall 2023 Application Period will be from October 1, 2022 to January 13, 2023
- For the MS in Marriage and Family Therapy program:
- Fall 2023 Application Period will be from October 1, 2022, to January 13, 2023.
- For the MA in Educational Psychology program, option in Early Childhood Education (ECE):
- Spring 2023 Application Period will be from August 1, 2022 to November 4, 2022.
- Fall 2023 Application Period will be from October 1, 2022 to April 14, 2023.
- Please note: We will not accept applications for the Development, Learning, Instruction, and Evaluation (DLI&E) or the Career Counseling programs this application period.
Important Note: It is the responsibility of the applicant to adhere to the department application deadlines. Should the applicant apply to the University via the Cal State Apply application system after the January 13, 2023 deadline for the M.S. in Counseling programs, M.S. in Marriage and Family Therapy program, or the April 14, 2023 deadline for ECE M.A. program, the application will not be reviewed by the department. It is also important to note that per University policy, application fees are non-refundable. See: Graduate and Post-Baccalaureate Application Procedures.