The California State University Northridge, Department of Police Services (CSUN DPS) is committed to transparency, communication, and engagement with all members of the campus community. In July of 2022, the Board of Trustees approved the system-wide Regulated Tools and Equipment policy as recommended by the Chiefs of Police representing the twenty-three University Police Departments. This policy was adopted and published as outlined by Assembly Bill 481, and requires every law enforcement agency in the State of California to publish certain information annually regarding specified equipment.
DPS will host a community engagement event to discuss information contained within this report on November 16, 2023 at 1:00pm in the Police Services 2nd floor Community Room. The community engagement event is open to all students, faculty and staff.
Of the sixteen regulated types of equipment and tools, CSUN DPS utilizes only the 40mm sponge tip launchers. Information regarding the use, policy compliance, funding, and inventory for the 2023 calendar year to date are outlined below:
Summary of how regulated tools and equipment were used, and the purpose of its use:
• DPS did not have any cases involving the use of the 40mm sponge tip launchers.
Summary of any complaints or concerns received concerning regulated tools and equipment:
• DPS did not receive and complaints or concerns regarding the use of the 40mm sponge tip launchers.
Results of any internal audits, any information about violations of the regulated tools and equipment policy, and any actions taken in response:
• DPS did not receive any audit findings or information about violations associated with the regulated tools and equipment policy.
Annual cost and source of funds for regulated tools and equipment:
• Total expenditures in 2023 for planned purchases to support training and readiness of the 40mm sponge tip launchers is $5,357.55, which is expended from DPS general fund and trust accounts.
Current inventory of regulated tools and equipment:
• DPS currently possesses two (2) Defense Technology 40mm LMT single-shot launchers, fifty (50) eXact Impact Sponge rounds, and twenty-four (24) plastic training rounds.
Planned purchases of additional regulated tools and equipment in:
• Two (2) Defense Technology 40mm LMT single-shot launchers
• Fifty (50) eXact Impact Sponge rounds
To further our efforts toward transparency and open communication, DPS will host a community engagement event to discuss information contained within this report on November 16, 2022 at 1pm in the DPS Community Room. The community engagement event is open to all students, faculty and staff at CSUN DPS. Furthermore, the Chief of Police will provide this information at the next scheduled Police Advisory Committee. Additional information about DPS policies, contact information, and other services provided to the campus can be located online at: https://www.csun.edu/police