• CSUN NSO Web Banner 2022

International FAQs

Here are some of the most frequently asked questions on new student summer orientation. If your question isn't addressed below or on our site, please feel free to reach out to the Office of Student Involvement and Development by email orientation@csun.edu

What is New Student Orientation?

New Student Orientation is a two phase online experience the university has created to prepare all its new students for the academic, cultural and social climate of California State University, Northridge. Throughout the orientation experience, new students will be advised on appropriate steps to take in order to achieve academic success in and out of the classroom. Students will also get a chance to meet their peers, both fellow new students and continuing CSUN students, who will offer help and suggestions to assist with a smooth transition into CSUN.

How do I register for International Student Orientation?

Step 1: Go to Register for the New Student Orientation.

Step 2: Enter your last name and your CSUN student ID number as it appears on your student portal. (If you do not have a CSUN student ID number, please call Admissions and Records at (818) 677-3700.)

Step3: Confirm your registration date.  

If you have any questions, you can feel free to contact us through email at

Do I have to pay the International Student Orientation fee?

There is a $75.00 dollar fee to access the Online Orientation for International Students. These fees will be handled through Student Financial Services. Freshman Students will be assessed this fee automatically. Transferring and Graduate Students will be assessed this fee after you have completed this event. Please be advised that your receipt will be available in your student account as an itemized payment and can be found by logging in into myNorthridge Portal. Choose View Account Information under the My Financial Obligations tab to review your payment after you have come to your orientation.

Will I get academic advisement or be able to register for my classes during my orientation day?

Academic advisement and registering for classes are separate and do not occur at the orientation. For more information, please contact your advisor. You may refer to the University Catalog for a list of colleges and departments.

Where can I obtain my CSUN student ID number and email?

*COVID-19 may impact how students obtain their CSUN ID.

When you are admitted to the university, your CSUN student ID is issued by the Admissions and Records department. You may also sign up for your CSUN email address at your earliest convenience. If you need additional assistance please contact Admissions and Records at (818) 677-3700.  

What is the Upper Division Writing Proficiency Exam (UDWPE)?

The University has implemented the California State University Trustee Policy for the Writing Skills Graduation Requirement for all Upper-Division students. All students must pass the UDWPE as a requirement for graduation.

To find more information on testing, please call (818) 677-2369 or visit the Testing Center website.


If you have any further questions, please contact the New Student Orientation staff at (818) 677-4100 or via email at orientation@csun.edu. You may also review the FAQs page for any questions you may have.

If you have any questions about your immigration status please contact your International Student Advisor at the International and Exchange Student Center at: (818) 677-3053.

Disclaimer: The New Student Orientation website contains information authorized and available at the time of publication. Its content, including dates and fee amounts, is subject to change without prior notice or obligation.