Communication Access Services

CAS - Communication Access Services - is NCOD's online one-time event request system.  If unable to access the system, you may email or call (818) 677-2054.

Students & Departments: Requests should be made at least 5 business days in advance whenever possible.

If you decide to cancel your request, please email at least 2 business days (Monday - Friday) in advance.

Departments Hosting Events

Your event should be publicized and circulated at least ten (10) business days before the date of the event, and students should be directed to request services at least five (5) business days before the event.  All event publicity should inform students of their responsibility to request the accommodation services they need.  

It is suggested the following statement be used on all flyers, posters, websites, etc. announcing events: “Requests for accommodation services (e.g., sign language interpreters or transcribers) must be made at least five (5) business days in advance. Please contact _____________ (department point of contact and email) by __________ (the fifth business day before the event).”

Requests with less than five (5) business days notice will typically be declined. That said, there will be instances when the announcement of an event does not permit five (5) business days notice. The NCOD will attempt to meet such requests on a case-by-case basis.  

NCOD will notify your department three (3) business days in advance if the accommodation service is not available as requested. Under such circumstances, you may choose to engage an outside agency to secure interpreting/transcribing services. NCOD can assist with outside agency referrals.

Once the student sends their RSVP and makes a request for accommodations, follow the steps below:

  1. Prepare a requisition number through your accounting manager before completing your request.
  2. Fill out the New Event Request (under "Requests")
  3. Record the student's name in "Consumer Name."
  4. Submit your request.  You will receive email communications from us.

Please contact if you have any questions about the procedures. 

Students: What are Academic-related and non-academic related requests?  Who makes the request?

Academic-Related Requests
Students/consumers make the request
Non-Academic Related Requests
Hosting departments make the request
  • Meeting with a professor, department chair, dean, etc.
  • One-on-one tutoring
  • Field trips (must be tied to class)
  • Internships
  • Meeting with your advisor
  • Attending a UDWPE workshop
  • Class-related activities outside of scheduled class time
  • Department events
  • Workshops outside of the classroom
  • Associated Students events, workshops, activities, meetings, etc.
  • Campus activities
  • Sports clubs practices
  • Sorority/Fraternity/Club/Organization meetings
  • Auditions, tryouts, job interviews
  • Appointments with the Student Health Center, Career Center, University Counseling Services, etc

NOTE: We will deny requests that are not made by the proper requester (student or department representative).  We will explain why the request is denied in an automatic email notification.

EXCEPTIONS:  Commencement ceremonies, Convocations, CSUN President press conferences/announcements, etc. will automatically be covered by communication services.  No RSVP is necessary for these.

If you have questions, please email

For non-academic related requests, how do I (student) inform the department of my request?

When you see a flyer, website notification, or email notification for an event you wish to attend, contact the hosting department with your RSVP.  Follow all the instructions on the flyer.

Include the following information in your RSVP:

  • your name
  • name of event
  • date of event
  • time that you will be attending the event
  • type of services you need (interpreter or transcriber)
The Hosting Department will enter the request into CAS.  If you want to check the status of the request, you can contact the hosting department or email