Jimmy Xie, PhD
My bachelor and master degrees are in Geography and my doctoral training at Penn State focused on analysis of attitude and behavior in recreation and leisure from a social and psychological perspective. My research examines social and environmental determinants of physical activity and healthy leisure. Additionally, I am interested in studying effective ways to promote individuals’ active living (e.g., innovative interventions), particularly among ethnic minority groups.
Most of my research are quantitative, using both first-hand survey/experimental data and secondary large-scale national survey datasets (e.g., Health Behavior in School-Aged Children Study, Fragile Families and Child Wellbeing Study). During my free time, I enjoy hiking and traveling.
Looking For Research Assistants/Interns?
- Xie, H., Besnilian, A., Boyns, D. (2021). Latinx mothers’ perception of grandparents’ involvement in children’s physical activity. Journal of Intergenerational Relationships. https://doi.org/10.1080/15350770.2021.1897726
- Xie, H., Caldwell, L. L., Loy, S., Aristizabal, C., & Guzman, A. (2019). Impact of a community-based intervention on Latino grandparents’ knowledge about and self-efficacy in supporting grandchildren’s physical activities. Family, Systems & Health, 37(4), 314–319. PMID: 31580094. DOI: 10.1037/fsh0000443
- Xie, H., Caldwell, L. L., Loy, S., & Robledo, M. (2018). A qualitative study of Latino grandparents’ involvement in and support for grandchildren’s leisure time physical activity. Health Education & Behavior, 45(5), 781–789. PMID: 29221421. https://doi.org/10.1177/1090198117742441
- Xie, H., Caldwell, L. L., Graham, J. W., Weybright, E. H., Wegner, L., & Smith, E. A. (2017). Perceived parental control, restructuring ability, and leisure motivation: A cross-cultural comparison. Leisure Sciences, 39(4), 319-335. PMCID: PMC6258035. https://doi.org/10.1080/01490400.2016.1194790
- Impact of residential mobility on urban children’s physical activity and screen time
- Multi-generational household and children’s obesity risk
- Family, Playground and health
- Latino grandparents’ impact on children’s leisure time physical activity
- Urban adolescents’ physical activity participation and experience