Faculty Affairs

  • Faculty Affairs Banner

Academic Student Employees (ASE)

As of June 24, 2005, The Board of Trustees of The California State University and the International Union, United Automobile, Aerospace and Agricultural Implement Workers of America (UAW) AFL-CIO and its Local Union 4123 entered into the Unit 11 Collective Bargaining Agreement which represents academic student employees including Teaching Associates, Graduate Assistants, and Instructional Student Assistants.

California State University, Northridge offers a wide variety of opportunities for graduate students to become academic student employees in their specific advanced fields of study. The three categories of academic student employees covered by the Unit 11 contract are: Teaching Associates, who gain practical experience through teaching university courses; Graduate Assistants, who provide professional and technical support to regular faculty members in their Master's field of study; and Instructional Student Assistants, who provide counseling, grading, and/or tutoring services to different departments or administrative offices.

These links on the page have been composed to provide guidance and information to Unit 11 members. This is also a central site for the posting of open positions for Academic Student Employees. If there is something you would like to see on this page please contact the Office of Faculty Affairs. Being that this is a new site and a new Collective Bargaining Agreement any suggestions in making this site more user-friendly will be considered for the continued improvement of this page.


Teaching Associate:

Graduate Assistant:

Instructional Student Assistant: