Project CREATE: Preparing Culturally Responsive Early Educators in Teacher Education is funded through Office of Special Education and Rehabilitative Services, Department of Education. It will support CSUN’s post-baccalaureate ECSE Preliminary Credential Program to prepare culturally diverse and responsive early childhood special educators/early interventionists in response to a newly modified initial teaching credential that is available in California in Fall 2022.
Built into CSUN’s current ECSE credential program, Project CREATE will
- provide financial support for 30 scholars over the next five years, including those from traditionally underrepresented groups;
- create a pipeline program for undergraduates in the Child and Adolescent Development (CADV) Program at CSUN to help them achieve a higher level of academic growth;
- modify the existing courses to incorporate equity-minded teaching principles to support excellence for all students, especially those from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds;
- recruit mentor teachers from local school district/agencies to provide ongoing support for scholars once they enter the program;
- provide opportunities for scholars to engage in leadership and advocacy activities;
- provide scholars opportunities to practice a variety of skills (e.g., how to advocate for parents, conduct an IEP meeting, and conduct a routine-based interview) using SIMPACT throughout the program; and
- convene Diversity Discussion Forums featuring national researchers and practitioners in the area of delivering the most up-to-date culturally responsive, high leverage, evidence-based practices in early childhood settings.
The project’s emphasis is to prepare highly qualified personnel from traditionally underrepresented groups to meet the educational needs of children from diverse backgrounds—especially those who are living with low-income and economic marginalization and are dual language learners (DLLs). Graduates from Project CREATE will be eligible for the California Preliminary Education Specialist Credential in ECSE.
For more information, please contact: email@example.com