Educational Psychology & Counseling

Masters of Science in Counseling, Option in Marriage & Family Therapy

Application period for Fall 2019 will be from Nov 1, 2018 to January 4, 2019

Strength United website | MFT Alumni/Student Network

Program Curriculum Coordinator: Diane R. Gehart, Ph.D.
Program Student Coordinator: Stanley Charnofsky, Ed.D.

Please direct inquires regarding applying to the program to Dr. Charnofsky

Applicants and Current Students should visit the program’s dedicated website for further information.

About the MFT Program

The marriage and family therapy specialization within the M.S. degree in Counseling is a nationally accredited COAMFTE program that provides students with competency in the content areas required by the State Board of Behavioral Science for licensure as a Marriage and Family Therapist (LMFT) and a Licensed Professional Counselor (LPC). Our mission is to train exceptional marriage and family therapists to serve needs of individuals, couples, children, and families in the the diverse communities of Southern California. We seek to provide a supportive, engage learning environment that enables our students to develop effective working relationships with diverse clients, competency in contemporary therapy theories, and a solid foundation in the field's evidence-base. Using a learning-centered, outcome-based pedagogy, our cutting-edge curriculum balances academic knowledge with clinical practice to ensure all students develop the real-world skills they need to succeed throughout their careers. Our students are prepared to provide services in community, public, and private mental health settings and eventually to serve as leaders in the field. Many students also choose to pursue doctoral studies upon graduation.

Upon completion of coursework and being awarded the degree,students are eligible to apply to the State Board for internship registration when endorsed by an officer of the University. Following completion of 3,000 hours of supervised field experience and successful passage of a written and oral examination administered by the State Board,candidates are awarded the Marriage and Family Therapy license by the State.

Please visit our MFT program webpage, which provides extensive information, guidance, and forms for applicants, students, and graduates:

Prerequisites for the Program

Prerequisites for the program must be completed prior to beginning the program: no exceptions.

 Students enrolling in the standard program must complete all prerequisites for the program no later than the summer prior to their first semester; priority is given to students having prerequisites completed at time of application.

To apply for equivalency, download the application packet and submit as directed.

Prerequisites to the M.S. Program in Family Therapy (12 Units*)
EPC 430 Development & Learning Early Childhood Education (3)
EPC 451 Fundamentals of Counseling and Guidance (3)
EPC 600 Educational Statistics for Research & Measurement (3)
PSY 310 Behavior Disorders (3)
Required Classes for the MFT
Counseling Core Courses
643 Diversity in Counseling (3)
655 Counseling Theories (3)
657C Career Interventions in Mental Health Counseling (3)
671 Law and Ethics for Counselors (3)
Marriage and Family Specialization Courses
656 Counseling Children, Adolescents, and their Families (3)
670A Systemic Family Theories and the Evidence Base (3)
670B Postmodern & Cognitive Family Theories & the Evidence Base (3)
670C Psychoeducation & Group Process in Family Counseling (3)
673 Community Mental Health Counseling (3)
674 Family Development Across the Lifespan (3)
675 Chemical Dependency and Addictions Counseling (3)
677 Couples Counseling (3)
Clinical Assessment and Research Courses
603 Clinical Research and Program Evaluation (3)
679 Clinical and Outcome-Based Assessments (3)
672 Mental Health Diagnosis (3)
678 Psychopharmacology & Neurobiological Foundations (3)
Practicum and Fieldwork Courses
659A Practicum: Communication (3)
659B Practicum: Skills (3)
659P Fieldwork (3)
659Q Fieldwork (3)
690 Professional Development and Practice in the Field (1, 2, or 3 units; optional; as needed to complete field practice)
Culminating Experience
697/698 Comprehensive Exams or Thesis/Project (3-6) Note: most students require six units.
63-66 Unit program

Earning Hours Towards Licensure

In the fieldwork courses, students can earn hours towards licensure as a Marriage and Family Therapist. Students may see clients in a range of community settings, including community counseling services, county agencies, hospitals, and schools. The Department of Educational Psychology and Counseling runs two agencies where some students choose to complete these requirements, one on campus and one in neighborhood locales.

The MFCC (Mitchell Family Counseling Clinic) is located on campus and invites outside clients in for low-fee, sliding scale counseling and therapy. The clinic uses primarily our own fieldwork students, supervised by licensed therapists. The Clinic also places student/trainees in schools in the nearby area to work with their student bodies. The phone contact for the MFCC is (818) 677 2568. Joyce Medley is the faculty member directing the clinic.

Strength United is an agency in the community, funded by The Department of Criminal Justice, to serve rape and domestic violence victims. There are three locations, Northridge, Van Nuys, and Canyon Country. Strength United uses student counselor/trainees under the supervision of licensed therapists. Part of the agency includes Family Preservation services, where student/trainees serve families, often in their homes. The phone contact information for SU is (818) 756-5330. 

Mandatory Workshop for Students in Practicum 659A, B, P, & Q

All Counseling Masters' students in EPC are required to attend a cutting edge workshop for each semester they are enrolled in Practicum: 659A 659B 659P & 659Q. These workshops must be attended in person (not online) to enable students to network with other professionals and may be taken through any institution that offers Continuing Education Units for Marriage and Family Therapists. CSUN offers many options through its Extension programs, which are held on Saturdays and Sundays in Fall and Spring terms, some half day, some full day. Fees are charged, since the presenters are paid. Registration goes through The Tseng College (Extension), and flyers are distributed each semester in about the fourth week.

MFT Alumni/Student Network

There is also a CSUN Marriage/Family Therapist Alumni / Student Network that students and alumni are encouraged to participate in. The purpose of this organization is to encourage support and interaction among its members, and to enrich the field of psychotherapy in general. The CSUN-MFT A/SN offers many events including banquets, guest speakers, picnics, workshops, and scholarship opportunities.

"How do I apply for my Intern Number?"

  1. When your Master's Degree is finished: Please request two sets of sealed transcripts from the CSUN Office of Admissions and Records Be sure to cite as a condition that all course-work and Master's Degree be posted before the transcript is issued.
  2. Please request the Intern Registration Material be sent to you by calling or writing to the California Board of Behavioral Science: (916) 445-4933; BBS, 400 R Street, Suite 3120, Sacramento, CA 95814-6240.
  3. Please fill out all materials the BBS sends you. Call Stan Charnofsky at (818) 677-2548 to make an appointment to get your Program Certification Form completed. Bring with you to the appointment a copy of your transcript and the Program Certification Form. IMPORTANT!!! Remember the BBS requires a minimum of 150 hours face-to-face with clients prior to graduation, and you must preserve Responsibility Statements for all of your supervisors with whom you claim hours, to submit to the Board when you finally take your state exam.
  4. Your Program Certification Form will be completed and sealed in an envelope, not to be opened, but be sent to the BBS along with their other required materials. You will also receive a copy of the Program Certificate Form for your files.
  5. Your intern number should be received by you in four to six weeks.
  6. Please be alert!! The BBS Laws and Regulations are subject to change at any time. Once you have graduated, it is your responsibility to stay informed about current rules.
  7. In case of discrepancy in your paperwork, the BBS may ask you to submit your Fieldwork Agreement Forms to them. Be sure you have these available; copies of these are to be on file in the Educational Psychology and Counseling Office.
  8. The BBS now requires that your Social Security Number be on the Program Certificate Form. Be sure you know your Social Security Number when you come for an appointment. (It is listed on your formal transcript.)


(If you haven't yet, DO join our CSUN MFT ALUMNI-STUDENT NETWORK.)