Autism Spectrum Disorder/Resource Specialist
The Autism Spectrum Disorder Added Authorization authorizes the holder to conduct assessments, provide instruction, and special education related services to individuals with a primary disability of autism as defined in subsection 300.8(c)(1) of Title 34 Code of Federal Regulations, Subpart A, across the continuum of special education program options at the grade and age levels authorized by the prerequisite credential required in (a)(1).
The Resource Specialist Added Authorization authorizes the holder to conduct Educational Assessments, provide instruction and Special Education Support services to students across disability areas who are assigned to general education classroom teachers for a majority of a school day whose needs have been identified in an Individualized Education Program (IEP), Individualized Family Service Program (IFSP), and/or Individualized Transition Plan (ITP) developed by the IEP, IFSP, and ITP team from birth through age 22, and classes organized for adults across the continuum of program options available.
You may be required to submit two online applications. For the Credential Program application we encourage you to start early and be prepared to scan and upload documents.
Please note: You must have a cumulative GPA of 2.67 or a 2.75 GPA in your last 60 units to be admitted.
1. University Application
Candidates not currently enrolled at the University will have to submit an application. Complete the online application at Cal State Apply. There is a $55 application fee. We have recently upgraded our online university application to the Cal State Apply system. This upgrade is still in progress and so some of our academic programs may not be immediately visible. If you are having difficulty with Cal State Apply, you can seek help via:
- The Application Help Center, including Live Chat Support
- The application support line at 857-304-2087 or CalStateApply@liaisoncas.com
- The Frequently Asked Questions Page
- Credential Applicant Guide to the Cal State Apply Application
Please Note: Admission to the university is not required if you plan to complete all courses during the summer session. Summer registration is done through CSUN’s Tseng College. Further information can be found at: https://tsengcollege.csun.edu/.
2. Credential Program Application
All candidates must submit a separate program application online to the Credential Office which includes the following items:
- Online Program Application along with nonrefundable $50.00 application processing fee (an additional $1.38 service fee will be assessed at checkout).
3. Transcripts - Official transcripts documenting a baccalaureate degree and all post-baccalaureate work must be submitted in person or by mail to the Credential Office at:
IMPORTANT! Do not mail in transcripts until you have submitted your online application. You should request all transcripts sent directly to your home address, once you have gathered all transcripts you may submit them. Official transcripts from each institution you have attended (including community colleges) must be submitted to Admission and Records
4. Valid Credential – Provide a copy of a valid California Education Specialist Credential or Specialist Instruction Credential such as Learning Handicapped or Severely Handicapped. Carefully review this document to be sure the authorization you are applying to, is not already included.
5. Verification of Experience – This is a requirement for the Resource Specialist Added Authorization only. Provide verification of three or more years teaching experience; this experience must be a combination of both general education and special education. Experience must be verified by the appropriate administrative official of the school district or county office at which the experience took place and documented on the district or employing agency letterhead.
Must maintain GPA of 3.0 with no grades lower than "C" in all the professional program coursework
Autism Spectrum Disorder Program Coursework
|SPED 404||Teaching Diverse Learners with Social-Communication Disabilities Including Autism (3)|
|SPED 655||Theoretical and Empirical Bases of Education of Learners with Autism (3)|
Resource Specialist Program Coursework
|SPED 628||Induction and Formative Assessment (3)|
|SPED 638||The Role of the Special Educator in the Twenty-First Century (3)|
|SPED 502MM||Reading/Language Arts Instruction for Diverse K-12 Students with Mild/Moderate Disabilities (3)|
Contact Information and Advisement
For questions regarding the program application process, please contact the Credential Office at (818) 677-2733 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Program Completion Process
Information regarding how to apply to have the new Education Specialist authorization added to your existing credential document can be found on our website