Instructions for Completing the Position Description Form:
The non-bargaining unit Manager (MPP Administrator) is responsible for and approves all staff position descriptions for new, vacant, and existing positions.
Complete the Position Description (described below)
Gather signatures from the following:
The non-MPP lead, if appropriate
The appropriate MPP Administrator(s)
Forward signed Position Description to Human Resources.
Forward a copy to the employee.
Maintain an electronic copy for departmental records.
HR maintains a copy in the Position File and the Employee Personnel File.
Resources for Completing the Position Description Form:
For detailed Information and Resources on completing the NEW Staff Position Description please see:
For a Quick Summary of Sections, see below:
A. ACTION REQUESTED (Select one of the following):
- Request a New position OR Fill a Vacant position (Must initiate through online recruitment)
- Initiate a Classification Review for a filled position
- Update an existing position description (no review requested)
- New Employee/Appointment acknowledgment of the position description (no review requested)
B. CURRENT INFORMATION
- Include current position information
- Include Lead and Reports To information
- Confirm if the position is sensitive
- If new position, Human Resources will determine the classification
C. POSITION PURPOSE: (Tip: Complete after Section D.)
- Briefly describe the primary purpose of the position.
- Example: Provides clerical support to the Department Chair, including processing mail, maintaining files and records, scheduling and arranging appointments and providing budget tracking/reporting support.
D. MAJOR DUTIES:
- Describe major set of responsibilities in order of priority (most important to least important)
- Indicate approximate percentage of time spent in each functional area, with the total equaling 100%.
- Minimum percent should be at least 5% (no less)
- Identify and check off Essential Functions (15% or more)
E. PHYSICAL AND COGNITIVE DEMANDS; AND ENVIRONMENTAL CONDITIONS:
- Check off a box, Greater than 50%, Less Than 50% or N/A, for each activity and condition
- Describe any additional demands/conditions or special circumstances in the Other box
- List any special software, machines, tools, equipment, and/or motor vehicles used on a regular basis.
G. TRAINING AND/OR LICENSES; AND ADDITIONAL EXPERIENCE, KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- List any preferred and required training, certificates, licenses, education or experience
- List additional unique skills, knowledge, and/or abilities or preferred qualifications.
H. LEAD OR OVERSIGHT OF OTHER POSITIONS
- List Working title (if applicable), Classification Title, and Position Number of positions that incumbent will lead, oversee or provide direct or general work direction, if applicable.
- Include Student Assistants and Volunteers
I. CHANGES IN POSITION:
- Summarize the changes in responsibility (work added, changed, or removed).
- These changes should also be reflected in other sections of the Position Description form.
- Obtain signatures from employee, leads and MPP Administrators as appropriate.
For Additional information or assistance, contact: Your Manager or the Classification & Compensation Team.