If you have never logged into myNorthridge, you need to activate your account! Follow these steps:
- Locate the “Activate CSUN User ID and Password” letter sent to you by the Office of Admissions and Records. Visit the Information Technology (IT) Help Center for help with account activation.
- Enter your CSUN user ID and initial password on the myNorthridge portal login page at www.csun.edu.
- Follow the instructions to activate your user ID and password.
Visit the Information Technology (IT) Help Center for help with account activation.
Safe Computing Tips:
- Remember your CSUN user ID, password and e-mail address.
- Never share your password with anyone.
- Never record your password in a visible location.
Get more IT tips at secure your computer and data.
How to Search for Classes
You can view a tentative Schedule of Classes using Class Search several months before a term begins. By the time registration begins, the schedule is firm and further changes are limited.
Search for classes four ways:
- myNorthridge - If you have a CSUN account, log into the myNorthridge portal > Academics (tab) > Quick Links (box) > Search for Classes (icon).
- CSUN Mobile App - Search and enroll in classes using the CSUN Mobile App.
- Guest Class Search - Guests may view CSUN course offerings at www.csun.edu/class-search. No login is required.
- Open Classes - View a list of open classes in PDF at www.csun.edu/openclasses. No login is required. List refreshes every 30 minutes.
Learn more about Class Search.
Permission numbers allow registration in specific classes that students would not otherwise be able to enroll in. Students should request permission to enroll in a class from the academic department or the instructor in these situations:
- To enroll in restricted classes* before classes begin
- To wait list for restricted classes during the wait list period
- To enroll in all classes after classes begin (or as soon as the wait list period ends in the fall and spring semesters)
- To enroll in state-funded, year-round cohort courses during summer terms
Permission numbers must be used no later than the third Friday of instruction for the fall and spring semesters; they will expire after that. For specific dates, see Late Add-Drop Classes.
*Restricted classes are usually limited to certain student groups such as freshmen, majors, credential candidates, and PACE. If a class is restricted, the “Notes” section of Class Search will display the words "Department/Instructor Consent Required."
Learn more at Add a Class Using a Permission Number.
As a CSUN student, you’ll receive a designated time to register for classes in the fall and spring semesters. For summer terms, you’ll “self-appoint” a time to register.
For all academic terms or semesters, the following points are true of your registration appointment:
- Your access to registration begins with your appointment day and time and thereafter.
- Your registration appointment is not negotiable.
- Your registration appointment displays in myNorthridge > My Checklist > Registration (section).
- When your appointment arrives, you may use the Enroll in a Class pages as often as you like during the published registration periods.
For registration dates, visit the Registration Calendar.
Fall and Spring Semesters
CSUN students are assigned a fall and spring registration appointment based on the number of units completed at the time the appointments are produced.
Before fall or spring registration begins, new students who are eligible to enroll in the upcoming semester are sent a paper Registration Access Mailer for their first semester only. Be sure to update your mailing address.
The Registration Access Mailer contains your:
- Priority enrollment appointment
- Name and nine-digit CSUN ID
- Residency status for tuition fee purposes, plus how and when to pay tuition and other fees
- Major, minor and class year (at the time the mailer was produced)
- Academic advisor contact information for you to schedule an advisement meeting before you enroll
Review your mailer carefully. Report any discrepancies in person or in writing to Admissions and Records (Registrar). Corrections to the mailer will not affect your appointment time. Failure to receive this information in the mail does NOT relieve you of the responsibility for meeting deadlines.
Each fall and spring semester, new and continuing students will also receive a general registration notice sent to their CSUN Gmail address reminding them to read My Checklist in myNorthridge for personal registration information and to check general enrollment dates in the Registration Calendar.
Summer Term Self-Appointment
For summer terms, regular CSUN students may “self-appoint” a time to register on a first-to-arrive basis by logging into myNorthridge and taking the next available appointment.
Set an Online Appointment
If you are a regular CSUN student, the registration system will automatically issue you the next available registration appointment when you take these steps:
- Log into myNorthridge at www.csun.edu with your CSUN user ID and password.
- Locate the “Registration” section of My Checklist and select the Summer Appt/Enrollment (link).
If you are eligible to enroll in summer term, your appointment will then display.
For specific dates to create your registration appointment online, register by appointment, and register without an appointment, visit:
Registration holds prevent students from enrolling in classes. Before registering, clear all holds.
To view registration holds, log into myNorthridge and locate the Incomplete Tasks section of My Checklist.
Learn more at View Holds.
Each academic term (fall, spring and summer – but not winter) has three registration periods:
- Registration-by-Appointment – By appointment only, eligible students may access the self-service registration system to add, drop or swap classes and change the grading basis of grading. Registration in repeated courses is not permitted.
- Nonrestrictive Registration – No appointment is necessary. Students may access the registration system to add, drop, or swap classes and change the grading basis of a class. Wait listing for closed classes begins (fall and spring only). Registration in repeated courses is permitted two Mondays before fall or spring classes begin.
- Late Registration/Schedule Adjustment – Begins with the first weekday of classes and continues through the third Friday of fall or spring classes. You may continue to add, drop, or swap classes and change the grading basis of a class. Registration in repeated courses is permitted.
- Week 1: Wait listing for closed classes continues. Permission is not required to add classes except for restricted classes.
- Weeks 2 & 3: Wait listing is not available. Permission is required to add all classes.
Learn more at Late Add-Drop Classes.
Registration dates are published in the Registration Calendar.
CSUN students may enroll in classes two ways:
To preview self-service registration features (Add a Class, Drop a Class, etc.), visit the How To Guides. No login is required.