SPRING 2016 ADMISSION - CLOSED
For the Spring 2016 semester, CSUN will be closed for admission to most California residents because of firm enrollment targets established by the state, which have already been met for the 2015/2016 academic year. We will not be limited in undergraduate admissions of nonresident students as these students do not count toward enrollment targets.
CSUN will accept applications from STAR Act (SB1440) students earning a verifiable Associate Degree for Transfer (AA-T or AS-T) from a California community college. If you are a STAR Act applicant, please read this page for admission requirements, due dates and special instructions.
Other California resident upper division transfer applicants may apply for Fall 2016 admission beginning October 1, 2015.
Upper Division Transfer Student
A transfer student has earned regionally accredited college credits after the summer immediately following high school graduation. You are an upper division transfer student if:
- You have met all the upper division transfer student eligibility requirements listed below.
You will transfer to CSUN with a verifiable Associate Degree for Transfer (AA-T or AS-T) from a California community college in a major that CSUN has approved for transfer.
Through the STAR Act (SB 1440), if you earn an AA-T or an AS-T degree at a California community college, you’ll be able to complete a bachelor’s degree at CSUN in 60 more units as long as the major you're transferring is "deemed similar" to one at CSUN. Before you apply, make sure CSUN has approved your major for the Associate Degree for Transfer program at Choose a Degree.
Upper Division Transfer - Eligibility Requirements
Be sure to complete eligibility requirements within the following time frame for admission to:
- Fall 2015: Complete all requirements by the end of the spring 2015 term. No summer 2015 course work will be considered for admission.
- Spring 2016: Complete all requirements by the end of the fall 2015 term. No winter 2016 course work will be considered for admission.
All upper division transfer students need to meet all the criteria listed below:
- Have completed a minimum of 60 transferable semester units (90 quarter units) with a grade point average of 2.0 or better;
- Be in good standing at the last college or university attended;
- Have completed the CSU General Education Writing, Mathematics, Critical Thinking and Speech Communication courses with a C or better*; and
- Submit all official college transcripts, including work now in progress, to Admissions and Records.
*Students applying as Engineering or Computer Science majors do not have to complete Critical Thinking prior to admission.
How to Apply
- Check application deadlines and program status (open, closed or exceptions) in the Admissions Calendar.
- Select a major from the CSUN Catalog. Declare a major when applying; "undecided" is not available.
- The Spring 2016 admission application filing period is closed. Please check back for Fall 2016 information on October 1, 2015.
After You Apply
After you have applied to CSUN, make the rest of your admissions process goes smoothly with these steps:
- Set up your CSUN account and email as explained in the "activate your CSUN user ID and password" letter you received from Admissions and Records. See account activation instructions.
- Monitor your application status. Log into myNorthridge Portal, locate “My Checklist," and review your Incomplete Tasks such as missing transcripts. For help with the portal, see the How To Guides.
- Check often for CSUN correspondence sent to your CSUN email box, by regular mail, and in myNorthridge ("My Announcements").
- Send the $55 application fee, or request an Application Fee Waiver (.pdf) if you did not request the waiver on CSUMentor.
- Send us your official transcripts (see below).
- If you are admitted, you will need to file your “Intent to Register” electronically no later than the following dates:
- Fall 2015: Wednesday, July 1, 2015. No deposit required. See also Admitted to CSUN.
- Spring 2016: Tuesday, December 1, 2015. No deposit required. See also Admitted to CSUN.
Send Us Your Transcripts
Your official transcripts are needed to determine your admission eligibility. Send us official transcripts for all of the following:
- All courses taken at other colleges and universities previously attended even if the course work was not completed
- All college courses in which you are currently enrolled (these are your preliminary, work-in-progress transcripts)
- Your final transcripts for work-in-progress as soon as you complete the courses and grades are posted
All transcripts, preliminary and final, must be official (received in sealed, unopened envelopes). Ask your previous schools to send your official transcripts directly to us. In some cases, transcripts can be sent to CSUN electronically. Check with your school.
Official transcripts showing completion of 60 units and the 4 basic subjects must be postmarked or hand delivered to Admissions and Records by the following due dates:
- Fall 2015: Friday, August 21, 2015
- Spring 2016: Friday, January 15, 2016
STAR Act students with a verifiable AA-T/AS-T will be admitted only when CSUN receives official transcripts showing 60 transferable graded units, a minimum GPA of 2.00 or better, completion of the 4 basic subject requirements, and the AA-T/AS-T degree posted. All course work must be completed by the end of the fall 2015 term.
Send official transcripts to:
CSUN - Office of Admissions and Records
18111 Nordhoff Street
Northridge, CA 91330-8207
Application and Document Deadlines
|Task or Document||Fall 2015||Spring 2016|
|Last day for CSUN to receive the application for admission||11/30/2014||8/31/2015|
|Send official college transcripts for completed work and work-in-progress (preliminary transcripts)||As soon as possible after applying||As soon as possible after applying|
|Last day to file Intent to Register in myNorthridge*||7/1/2015||12/1/2015|
|Send final college transcripts showing completion of 60 units, the 4 basic subjects, and the AA-T/AS-T degree (if applicable)||8/21/2015||1/15/2016|
*If you are admitted after the following dates, you will have 14 days from your admission date to file your Intent to Register for classes:
- Fall 2015: if admitted after June 17, 2015
- Spring 2016: if admitted after November 17, 2015
If your application for admission was denied or your offer of provisional admission has been withdrawn, see Admission and Deadline Appeals.