SPRING 2017 ADMISSION
For Spring 2017 admissions, CSUN is open only to the following upper-division transfer applicants*:
- Nonresidents (out-of state). For admission requirements, see Transfer, Nonresident.
- California residents who will earn a verifiable AA-T or AS-T degree (Associate Degree for Transfer, also known as STAR Act/SB1440) from a California community college in a major that CSUN has approved for transfer.
- STAR Act students can complete a bachelor’s degree at CSUN in 60 more units as long as the major they are transferring is "deemed similar" to one at CSUN. Before you apply, make sure CSUN has approved your AA-T or AS-T major at Explore Your Options.
- For STAR Act admission requirements, keep reading this page. As a California resident, you will also be affected by transfer impaction if you are outside CSUN's local admission area and/or you have chosen an impacted major.
- Note that an Associate Degree for Transfer (AA-T or AS-T) is distinct from a regular AA or AS degree. Please visit A Degree with a Guarantee and check with your community college counselor.
For other upper-division transfer applicants who are California residents, Spring 2017 admission is closed. You may apply for Fall 2017 admission beginning October 1, 2016. Please check back at the end of September and review Impaction Information.
*An upper-division transfer applicant has completed at least 60 transferable units and met the standard CSU requirements described below. CSUN does not currently accept lower-division transfer applications.
CSUN impaction criteria have significantly changed for Fall 2016-Spring 2017 admissions. California resident first-time transfer applicants must not only meet the minimum standard CSU admission criteria described on this page but also the higher "supplementary" criteria if they are affected by non-local area impaction and/or their desired major is impacted. Please see Transfer Impaction.
Complete the eligibility requirements within the following time frame for admission to:
- Fall 2016: Complete all requirements by the end of the spring 2016 term. No summer 2016 course work will be considered for admission.
- Spring 2017: Complete all requirements by the end of the fall 2016 term.
All upper division transfer students need to meet the minimum criteria listed below:
- Have completed a minimum of 60 transferable semester units (90 quarter units) with a grade point average of 2.0 or better*; and
- Be in good standing at the last college or university attended in a regular session; and
- Have completed the CSU General Education Writing, Mathematics, Critical Thinking and Speech Communication courses with a C or better**; and
- Submit all official college transcripts, including work in progress and final transcript with grades posted, to Admissions and Records before the deadline. Please see Send Us Your Transcripts below.
**Students applying as Engineering or Computer Science majors do not have to complete Critical Thinking prior to admission.
1. Check application deadlines and program status (open, closed or exceptions) in the Admissions Calendar. You can only apply during the initial filing period.
- For Spring 2017 (AA-T & AS-T only), confirm that your AA-T/AS-T major is approved for transfer to CSUN at Explore Your Options.
- Complete the STAR Act (SB1440) AA-T and AS-T Inquiry Form between August 1-31, 2016. If eligible for admission consideration, you will receive further application instructions by email within 5 to 7 business days.
2. Select a major from the CSUN Catalog. Declare a major when applying; "undecided" is not available. If your desired major is impacted and you are a California applicant, you will need to meet the supplementary admission criteria for that major. Because admission is competitive, you should also apply to an alternate campus that offers your desired major. Read more at impacted majors.
3. Send the $55 application fee or request a 2016-2017 application fee waiver (.pdf) if you did not request the waiver on CSU Mentor. We must receive your payment or the waiver request form by December 1, 2016.
After you have applied to CSUN, make the rest of your admission process go smoothly with these steps:
- Set up your CSUN account and email as explained in the "activate your CSUN user ID and password" letter you received from Admissions and Records. See account activation instructions.
- Monitor your application status. Log into myNorthridge Portal, locate “My Checklist," and review your Incomplete Tasks such as missing transcripts. For help with the portal, see the How To Guides.
- Check often for CSUN correspondence sent to your CSUN email box, by regular mail, and in myNorthridge ("My Announcements").
- Send us your official transcripts by the deadline in the table below.
- If you are admitted, you will need to file your “Intent to Register” electronically no later than the following dates:
- Fall 2016: Friday, July 1, 2016. No deposit required. See also Admitted to CSUN. If you do not confirm Intent to Register by the deadline, you will not be able to attend CSUN in the Fall 2016 semester.
- Spring 2017: Thursday, December 1, 2016. No deposit required. See also Admitted to CSUN.
Remember, we want to communicate with you!
- Check your CSUN email often for the latest information.
- Take a moment to verify your paper mailing address in myNorthridge Portal. Learn how at Update Personal Information.
Your official transcripts are needed to determine your admission eligibility. After you apply for admission, send us official transcripts for all of the following:
- All courses taken at other colleges and universities previously attended even if the course work was not completed
- All college courses in which you are currently enrolled (these are your preliminary, work-in-progress transcripts)
- Your final transcripts for work-in-progress as soon as you complete the courses and grades are posted
All transcripts, preliminary and final, must be official:
- Paper transcripts must be received in sealed, unopened envelopes. Ask your previous schools to send your official transcripts directly to us.
- Electronic transcripts from California community colleges are preferred (and faster!) when we receive them through the eTranscript California system. Find instructions and the lists of participating community colleges at eTranscript California.
- Please do not send identical, duplicate paper or electronic transcripts!
Official transcripts showing completion of 60 units and the 4 basic subjects must be postmarked or hand delivered to Admissions and Records by the following due dates:
- Fall 2016: August 1, 2016
- Spring 2017: January 13, 2017
STAR Act students with a verifiable Associate Degree for Transfer (AA-T or AS-T) will be admitted only when CSUN receives official transcripts showing 60 transferable graded units, a minimum GPA of 2.00 or better, completion of the 4 basic subject requirements, and the AA-T or AS-T degree posted. All course work must be completed by:
- the end of the spring 2016 term for Fall 2016 admission.
- the end of the fall 2016 term for Spring 2017 admission.
Send official transcripts to:
CSUN - Office of Admissions and Records
18111 Nordhoff Street
Northridge, CA 91330-8207
|Task or Document||Fall 2016||Spring 2017|
|Last day for CSUN to receive the application for admission||11/30/2015||8/31/2016|
|Send official college transcripts for completed work and work-in-progress (preliminary transcripts)*||As soon as possible after applying*||As soon as possible after applying*|
|Last day for CSUN to receive $55 application fee payment or application fee waiver form (.pdf) if not requested on CSUMentor||As soon as possible after applying||12/1/2016|
|Last day to file Intent to Register in myNorthridge**||7/1/2016||12/1/2016|
|Complete all course work required for admission by the end of the||spring 2016 term||fall 2016 term|
|Send final college transcripts showing completion of 60 units, the 4 basic subjects, and the AA-T/AS-T degree (if applicable)||8/1/2016||1/13/2017|
*See the note about when to request electronic transcripts if you are transferring course work from any of the California community colleges in List 2 at eTranscript California.
**If you are admitted after the following dates, you will have 14 days from your admission date to file your Intent to Register for classes:
- Fall 2016: if admitted after June 17, 2016. If you do not confirm Intent to Register by the deadline, you will not be able to attend CSUN in the Fall 2016 semester.
- Spring 2017: if admitted after November 17, 2016.
Admission is provisional until all eligibility requirements and deadlines have been met, including those for applicants affected by campus impaction and impacted majors. Read more.
If your application for admission was denied or your offer of provisional admission has been withdrawn, see Admission and Deadline Appeals.