Admissions and Records

  • Admissions and Records banner with word cloud.

Apply Upper Division Transfer Student


Only nonresident, out-of-state transfer applications will be accepted for Spring 2018 admission. Applications from resident transfer students including those with an associate degree for transfer (AA-T or AS-T) will be accepted for Fall 2018 starting October 1, 2017. Please check back later for more information.

NEW for Fall 2017  

Criminology and Criminal Justice Major for Associate Degree for Transfer Students

New transfer students admitted to CSUN for Fall 2017 with a verifiable Associate Degree for Transfer (ADT) Sociology (AA-T) or Administration of Justice (AS-T) from a California community college will be allowed to change their major to Criminology and Criminal Justice Studies (CJS) in Fall 2017. These students should apply to CSUN’s General Sociology major before November 30, 2016.

New transfer students admitted for Fall 2017 without the above ADT majors will not be able to declare CJS as a major. For details, please see CSUN’s Department of Sociology Option II: CJS Update.


All upper-division transfer students may apply for Fall 2017 admission October 1 through November 30, 2016. Please see the requirements and procedures below, and review Impaction Information.

Are you an upper-division transfer student?

An upper-division transfer applicant has completed at least 60 transferable units and met the standard CSU requirements described below. CSUN does not currently accept lower-division transfer applications.

Will you earn one of the Associate Degrees for Transfer? 

The Associate Degrees for Transfer (ADT)—also known as the STAR Act or SB 1440—is a new California community college degree. Associate degrees for transfer can be earned in the arts (an AA-T) or the sciences (an AS-T). They are not the same as a regular AA or AS degrees.

  • When the AA-T or AS-T is completed, eligible transfer students can be admitted to a California State University (CSU) with junior standing as long as the major is "deemed similar" to one at the desired CSU campus. 
  • Students who will earn a verifiable AA-T or AS-T degree from a California community college in a major that CSUN has approved for transfer can complete a bachelor’s degree at CSUN in 60 more units as long as they keep that major. 
  • Not all CSUs accept the same ADT majors for transfer. Before you apply, make sure CSUN has approved your ADT major! Go to Explore Your Options and select your major, California community college and CSU, Northridge. 
  • As a California resident with an AA-T or AS-T degree, you will also be affected by transfer impaction if you are outside CSUN's local admission area and/or you have chosen an impacted major.

Ask your community college counselor about the ADT or visit A Degree with a Guarantee for an overview from the community college perspective. For the ADT majors that CSUN accepts, check the CSU page Explore Your Options.

Quick Navigation - Upper Division Transfer


CSUN admission is impacted for undergraduate students.California resident first-time transfer applicants must not only meet the minimum standard CSU admission criteria described on this page but also any supplementary criteria if they are affected by non-local area impaction and/or their desired major is impacted. Please see Transfer Impaction Criteria.

Upper Division Transfer - Standard Requirements

Complete the eligibility requirements within the following time frame for admission to:

  • Fall 2017: Complete all requirements by the end of the spring 2017 term. No summer 2017 course work will be considered for admission. 

All upper-division transfer students need to meet the minimum criteria listed below:

  • Have completed a minimum of 60 transferable semester units (90 quarter units) with a grade point average of 2.0 or better*; and
  • Be in good standing at the last college or university attended in a regular session; and
  • Have completed the CSU General Education Writing, Mathematics, Critical Thinking and Speech Communication courses with a C or better**; and
  • Submit all official college transcripts, including preliminary (work-in-progress) and final transcript with grades posted, to Admissions and Records before the deadline. Please see Send Us Your Transcripts below.

*A higher GPA could be required for non-local-area applicants from California. Please see Transfer Impaction Criteria.

**Students applying as Engineering or Computer Science majors do not have to complete Critical Thinking prior to admission.

How to Apply

1. Apply for admission at Cal State Apply during the initial filing period published at Admissions Calendar. You must apply during the initial filing period.  If you have or will earn an Associate Degree for Transfer:

2. Select a major from the CSUN Catalog. Declare a major when applying; "undecided" is not available. If your desired major is impacted and you are a California applicant, you will need to meet any supplementary admission criteria for that major. Read more at impacted majors.

3. Send the $55 application fee or request an application fee waiver if you did not already request the waiver in Cal State Apply. Submit the appropriate form before the deadline for the semester you are applying to:

After You Apply

After you have applied to CSUN, make sure the rest of your admission process goes smoothly:

  1. Set up your access to myNorthridge Portal and CSUN email. Watch for the “Activate Your CSUN Account” email from CSUN Admissions and Records sent to the address you provided in Cal State Apply. You should receive the email 1 or 2 days after you apply. For help, see account activation instructions.
  2. Monitor your application status. Log into myNorthridge Portal, locate “My Checklist," and review your complete and incomplete tasks such as missing transcripts. For help, see the How To Guides.
  3. Check often for CSUN correspondence sent to your CSUN email box, by regular mail, and in myNorthridge ("My Announcements").
  4. First send us your official preliminary (work-in-progress) transcripts and then your final official transcripts by the deadlines in the table below.
  5. If you are admitted, you will need to file your “Intent to Register” electronically no later than the following dates:
    • Fall 2017: Monday, May 1, 2017. No deposit required. See also Admitted to CSUN.  If you do not confirm Intent to Register by the deadline, you will not be able to attend CSUN in the Fall 2017 semester

    Remember, we want to communicate with you!

    • Check your CSUN email often for the latest information.
    • Take a moment to verify your paper mailing address in myNorthridge Portal. Learn how at Update Personal Information.

    Send Us Your Transcripts

    Your official transcripts are needed to determine your admission eligibility. After you apply for admission, send us official transcripts for all of the following:

    1. All courses taken at other colleges and universities previously attended even if the course work was not completed
    2. All college courses in which you are currently enrolled (these are your preliminary, work-in-progress transcripts)
    3. Your final transcripts for work-in-progress as soon as you complete the courses and grades are posted

    All transcripts, preliminary and final, must be official:

    • Electronic transcripts from California community colleges are preferred (and faster!) when we receive them through the eTranscript California system. Find instructions and the lists of participating community colleges at eTranscript California.
    • Paper transcripts must be received in sealed, unopened envelopes. Ask your previous schools to send your official transcripts directly to us.
    • Please do not send identical, duplicate paper or electronic transcripts!

    Transcript Deadlines

    Official transcripts showing completion of 60 units and the 4 basic subjects must be postmarked or hand delivered to Admissions and Records by the following due dates:

    • Fall 2017
      • Preliminary transcript deadline for work in progress: February 15, 2017
      • Final transcript deadline: July 14, 2017

    Students with a verifiable Associate Degree for Transfer (ADT) will be admitted only when CSUN receives official transcripts showing 60 transferable graded units, a minimum GPA of 2.00 or better, completion of the 4 basic subject requirements, and the AA-T or AS-T degree posted. All course work must be completed by:

    • the end of the spring 2017 term for Fall 2017 admission.

    Send official transcripts to: 
    CSUN - Office of Admissions and Records
    18111 Nordhoff Street
    Northridge, CA 91330-8207

    Application and Document Deadlines

    Task or DocumentFall 2017
    Last day for CSUN to receive the application for admission11/30/2016
    Last day for CSUN to receive $55 application fee payment or application fee waiver form (see How to Apply above) if not requested in Cal State Apply12/15/2016
    Send official college transcripts for completed work and work-in-progress (preliminary transcripts)*2/15/2017*
    Last day to file Intent to Register in myNorthridge**5/1/2017
    Complete all course work required for admission by the end of thespring 2017 term
    Send final college transcripts showing completion of 60 units, the 4 basic subjects, and the AA-T/AS-T degree (if applicable)7/14/2017

    *See the note about when to request electronic transcripts if you are transferring course work from any of the California community colleges in List 2 at eTranscript California.

    **If you are admitted after the following dates, you will have 14 days from your admission date to file your Intent to Register for classes:

    • Fall 2017: if admitted after April 16, 2017.  If you do not confirm Intent to Register by the deadline, you will not be able to attend CSUN in the Fall 2017 semester.

    Provisional Admission

    Admission is provisional until all eligibility requirements and deadlines have been met, including those for applicants affected by campus impaction and impacted majors. Read more.

    Admission Appeals

    If your application for admission was denied or your offer of provisional admission has been withdrawn, see Admission and Deadline Appeals.