The Department of Africana Studies Writing Center which started operations in 1982 was designed primarily to provide supplemental assistance to mainly Black and other under-presented students who manifest problems with writing and reading skills. Today, it has become a valuable resource for students at CSUN while servicing well over 200 of them each year.
Spring 2023 Operations
The Africana Studies Writing Center will begin with virtual operations in Spring 2022 and transition to hybrid modality in the coming weeks. Our dedicated peer writing tutors are eager to support students via one-on-one Zoom appointments with all aspects of academic writing starting in Week 2 of the semester. Students are asked to come prepared to tutoring sessions with essay rough drafts and assignment prompts.
Africana Studies Writing Center Virtual/Hybrid Tutorial Services
- Writing Center hours are Monday – Thursday, 9:00 AM to 4:00 PM and Friday, 9:00 AM to 3:00 PM.
- All CSUN students are welcome.
- Schedule a 20-minute one-on-one Zoom tutoring appointment via EAB (Instructions below).
Instructions for students scheduling an Africana Studies Writing Center tutoring appointment via EAB
- Go to the EAB scheduling website in your internet browser and log in with your CSUN User ID and Password.
- After logging in, students must click on the blue box toward the upper right, "Schedule Appointment."
- After logging students will be asked to make four choices:
- Select"Tutoring" for the type of appointment,
- Select the "Africana Studies Writing Center,"
- Select the reason for their visit,
- Choose a date and click on "Find Available Time."
- Enroll in AFRS 099: Writer's Workshop. This 1-unit course meets for 2 hours/week and all CSUN students are invited to improve their writing skills (grammar, usage, brainstorming, and other aspects of composition). Professor Shaw will distribute permission numbers for AFRS 099.
Schedule Tutor Class Visits.
- Faculty, please contact us to schedule a Zoom synchronous class visit. Our tutors would be happy to come by your virtual class and briefly discuss how we support students through collaboration to become stronger writers. We welcome student referrals!
Please Note: We do not schedule appointments via email. Please book an appointment via scheduling link above.)
Zoom Video and Web Conferencing
If you are unsure of best practices for zoom video or web conferencing, please visit the CSUN Information Technology Zoom & Video Conferencing Webpage.