Freshman FAQs

Here are some of the most frequently asked questions on new student summer orientation. If your question isn't addressed below or on our site, please feel free to reach out to the Office of Student Involvement and Development by email orientation@csun.edu

What is New Student Orientation (NSO) ?

New Student Orientation (NSO) is a two phase online experience the university has created to prepare all its new students to integrate into the academic, cultural, and social context of California State University, Northridge. Throughout the orientation experience, new students will be advised on appropriate steps to take in order to achieve academic success in and out of the classroom. Students will also get a chance to meet their peers, both fellow new students and continuing CSUN students, who will offer help and suggestions to assist with a smooth transition

How do I register?

Registration for students entering in Summer/Fall will occur around early July, and can be accessed through the NSO website (www.csun.edu/nso).  If there is no registration link posted on the website then please check back in a few days as it the link for registration is taken off the website while we updating student records. 

Is it mandatory to attend/participate in NSO?

Yes. NSO is a required activity for all new students. Failure to complete NSO may result with a hold on your student account. 

Do I have to pay the NSO Fee?

A $55 orientation fee is automatically charged to every first-time freshman in the summer prior to the start of the semester.  The fee should be paid as soon as possible to avoid any holds on your student account.  To view your student account, sign in on your student portal, select the "Financial Matters" tab and click the appropriate links to view your any fees owed to the university.  

Will financial aid cover my Orientation fee?

No. Financial Aid does not cover the cost of your orientation fee.  If you are expecting Financial Aid, it will be applied to your current tuition charges first, then housing etc (pending how much you are awarded).   Financial aid does not get automatically applied to the orientation fee, and it will appear on your student account as a separate charge.  

How do I know what College I am in?

There are eight academic colleges within California State University, Northridge. View the list of all colleges and all majors within each college, or look to an academic advisor for clarification. If you have not declared a major, there are specific days set aside for students who are Exploratory to attend orientation.

Will I get academic advisement or be able to register for my classes during Orientation?

NSO is separate from Academic Advisement and registering for classes.  All new students will be contacted by an academic advisor who will assist you in selection of classes for the upcoming term.

To learn more about Academic Advisement, you can visit the CSUN Catalog by clicking here

Where can I obtain my 9-digit CSUN student ID number and email?

When you are admitted to CSUN, your CSUN student ID is issued by the Admissions and Records department. You may also sign up for your CSUN email address at your earliest convenience. If you need additional assistance please contact the Office of Student Involvement and Development at (818) 677-4100.

How do I change my personal information if it is incorrect?

If your personal information is incorrect, you must correct it through Admissions and Records. For a name change, fill out the Name Change Form and return it to Admissions and Records in Bayramian Hall.

You may change your address or phone number by logging on to myNorthridge Portal. Click on Student Center (SOLAR), scroll to the bottom and click either the address or phone number link, whichever you wish to change.

For additional matters, please visit Admissions and Records in Bayramian Hall or contact them at (818) 677-3700.

Disclaimer: The New Student Orientation website contains information authorized and available at the time of publication. Its content, including dates and fee amounts, is subject to change without prior notice or obligation.