The Business Honors Program is designed to recognize students who have demonstrated high academic standards and to encourage these students to continue their record of excellence as business and economics majors here at California State University, Northridge. The Business Honors Program offers rigorous courses that emphasize communication, critical thinking, complex problem solving, and teamwork skills. CSUN students who have fulfilled all the Business Honors requirements graduate with a degree in Business Honors as well as their primary business or economics degree.
Business Honors Program
The Business Honors Program offers its students many benefits including:
- Cohort system taking core classes with the other top Business Honor students
- Priority registration that allows students to select needed classes
- Smaller class size with top professors for a stronger educational experience
- Business Honors Scholarships
- Leadership development opportunities
- Challenging curriculum designed to develop critical thinking, creative problem solving, teamwork, leadership, and oral and written communication skills
- Academic advising by Business Honors Program Director
- Dedicated workroom for Business Honors Program students
- Business Honors Mentorships through working with faculty and staff on research or special projects
- Professional opportunities through student club, the Program, and the DNCBE College
- Networking, networking, networking
Rolling admissions - apply and be admitted at any time during the year.
For admission to the Business Honors Program, students must meet the following minimum requirements:
For first-time freshman candidates, there are two options: one based on grades, the other on most recent SAT or ACT scores
1. GPA: A cumulative high school GPA of >3.7, OR
2. SAT or ACT: >90th percentile
For college student candidates must have a minimum cumulative college GPA of >3.5
Once applications are reviews, candidates will be invited to interview with the Business Honors Program Director.
Students must maintain a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.50.
Business Honors Program Requirements (18 units)
1. Required Courses (6 Units)
These Required Courses are in effect for students entering CSUN in the 2015 catalog year and later. Other students should consult with the Business Honors Program Director.
BUS 302BH - The Gateway Experience (3)
BUS 497BBH - Capstone-Small Business Planning and Growth (3)
2. Seminar Requirement (3 units)
BUS 296BH A-Z - Business Honors Selected Topics (1)
3. Mentorship Requirement (3 units)
Select one from the following courses to fulfill the Business Honors Mentorship requirement.
4. Additional Business Honors Courses Requirement (6 units)
Each student must successfully complete 6-additional units of designated Business Honors (BH) courses not taken previously to satisfy the major. These courses may be elective or core classes.
Same requirements as above except students take 6-units of seminar requirement and 3-units of additional Business Honors courses requirement.
Total units required for the Business Honors Program = 18
Each student must demonstrate active participation in activities prescribed by the Business Honors Program, such as tutoring 2-hours per week during the fall and spring semesters.
Each student must receive academic advisement from the Business Honors Program Director each fall and spring semester. Academic Advisement is mandatory for all Business Honors Students.
Business Honors Program students offer free tutoring to David Nazarian College students by appointment Monday through Friday from 9am to 7pm and Fridays from 9am to 5pm in JH 2119.
- Two-business-day advance sign-up is required of students requesting tutoring.
- Although tutoring is offered for a variety of classes, not all subjects are tutored every day.
- Students may sign up for two hours of tutoring per subject, per week.
- Students who receive tutoring should come prepared with textbooks, notes, and questions.
- Tutors will not read and analyze cases or work on homework for students receiving tutoring.
- Tutoring services are provided for BUS 302L but NOT for BUS 302. For example, if you did not pass the Statistics lower division exam in 302L, you may get tutoring for SOM 120. However, please do not ask tutors to do your case analysis.
- To cancel an appointment, contact your tutor directly via text or email OR cancel from the confirmation email you received from Genbook. You may also send an email to email@example.com (Do not call the Business Honors Office or Director as we do not have access to appointment information.)
- Questions? Need to reschedule? Please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Giving back to the community is an important part of the Business Honors Program. Business Honors Program students participate in a number of philanthropic activities throughout the year. These activities have included food and clothing drives for local charitable organizations, such as M.E.N.D. Poverty - Los Angeles, the Los Angeles AIDS Walk, "Feed the Homeless" at the House of Blues. The Business Honors Program selects a number of organizations and events to work with each year.
Faculty - List an opportunity
Business Honors Program Video (2019)
Produced and edited by Business Honors students (2019)
Special thanks to Lauryn Lawton, BHP Student 2019, for her talents and assistance in putting this video together.