Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and Reasonable Accommodations

California State University Northridge (CSUN) is committed to maintaining an inclusive working environment where all employees are treated with dignity and respect.  This commitment is guided by applicable state and federal laws including, but not limited to the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), Americans Disability Act Amendments Act (ADAAA) the California Fair Employment and Housing Act (FEHA).

Under the ADA and FEHA, A qualified individual with a disability is a person who meets legitimate skill, experience, education, or other requirements of an employment position that he or she holds or seeks, and who can perform the "essential functions" of the position with or without reasonable accommodation. The University is required to afford such individuals reasonable accommodations that will allow them to perform the essential functions of their jobs.  CSUN is fully committed to ensuring equal employment opportunity for qualified applicants and/or employees with disabilities and engages in a timely, good faith, interactive process to determine effective reasonable accommodations.

CSUN’s Human Resources Benefits department serves as the University’s ADA facilitator and is responsible for working with you via an interactive process to provide the request for accommodation package, review and clarify if necessary the medical certification and facilitate the interactive process with employees and their management. During this process, we will determine the essential functions of the position, the precise job-related limitations, the potential reasonable accommodations that may enable the employee to perform the essential duties of the job, and assessing the effectiveness of the accommodations.

The University will consider any requests or preferences stated by the employee, but the University has the ultimate discretion to select the appropriate effective accommodation based on legitimate business justification, including but not limited to cost and campus/workplace impact.

If you believe you need to request an accommodation, or have additional questions, feel free to contact our Leave of Absence & Workers Compensation Specialist to obtain the University's Accommodation Request Package: