Fall 2015 Cohort
Enrollment Eligibility and Application Instructions
- Must be a current/continuing CSUN student in good standing or able to provide proof of acceptance to CSUN for Fall 2015
- Completion of DEAF 281 (ASL IV) or equivalent with a grade of B or better
For Current/Continuing CSUN Students Only: To clear up any confusion about some misinformation you may have heard, applicants are NOT REQUIRED to complete the following advanced ASL development courses prior to applying for the IEP. Completion of these classes is recommended for your further education/developmental experience but WILL NOT give you any priority consideration for acceptance into the program:
- DEAF 300 (Advanced ASL Conversation); and
- DEAF 370 (ASL/English Translation)
If accepted into the IEP program, all students who have not already taken these classes will be required to enroll in them along with DEAF 380/383 in Fall 2015. The Deaf Studies Academic Advisor will oversee and assist you with your academic course plan to ensure that you are enrolled in the appropriate classes.
- Understand adult-level ASL discourse; and
- Have an above-average working vocabulary in ASL and English
Interested students must submit all of the following. INCOMPLETE APPLICATIONS WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED!
- Written Application (includes all of the following)
- Personal Information and Course History (Pages 1-4)
- Typed Narrative describing your Deaf Community Experience(s)
- Signed Certification of Accuracy, Agreement and Release
- Video Application/Statement of Interest (recorded in ASL)
- Two (2) Recommendations
SCREENING PROCESS / ACCEPTANCE INTO PROGRAM:
- Step 1. Applications are reviewed and screened beginning March 2, 2015.
Only those students who meet all eligibility requirements and qualifications will be invited to participate in the video screening (Step 2).
- Step 2. Video Screening (By Invitation Only)
A one-hour video screening will be conducted, which is intended to further assess ASL comprehension, production, and basic translation skills.
- Step 3. Follow-Up Interviews (By Invitation Only)
Follow-up interviews with some applicants may be requested to obtain more information about their potential and qualifications.
- Step 4. Notification of Acceptance into the Program
|Application Deadline:||Friday, February 27, 2015|
|Notification of Invitation to Screen:||Friday, March 27, 2015|
|Video Screening (By Invitation Only):||April 27 – May 1, 2015|
|Follow-Up Interviews (By Invitation Only):||May 2015|
|Notification of Acceptance into the Program:||June 2015|