Our Interpreter Education Program (IEP) is a two-year cohorted program for majors pursuing the ASL/English Interpreting Concentration within the Deaf Studies major. Our IEP is a rigorous program where students learn about the signed language-spoken language interpreting processes and how to work with diverse populations through skills development and practicum settings. To be considered for admission to the Interpreter Education Program, students are required to apply and undergo our screening process. For more information on eligibility and the application process, please see below.
FALL 2023 COHORT
- Must be a current/continuing CSUN student in good standing OR a prospective student who has applied to attend CSUN starting in Fall 2023 and are awaiting official acceptance. NOTE: Prospective students are eligible to apply to the IEP Program and participate in the entire application/screening process. However, admission/acceptance into the program will require official proof of acceptance to CSUN for Fall 2023.
- Completion of DEAF 281 (ASL IV) or equivalent with a grade of B or better.
- NOTE: Completion of any of the following advanced ASL development courses is recommended but is NOT REQUIRED in order to apply and be considered for acceptance into the program:
- DEAF 300 (Advanced ASL Conversation)
- DEAF 350 (Principles of Sign Language Interpretation)
- DEAF 370 (ASL/English Translation)
Understand adult-level ASL discourse; and
Have an above-average working vocabulary in ASL and English
The IEP application consists of the following parts:
- Intent to Apply (Email)
- Written Application (3 parts)
- Personal Information
- Typed Narrative Essay Describing your Deaf Community Experience(s)
- Signed Certification of Accuracy, Agreement, Release & Accountability
- Video Application/Statement of Interest
- Two Recommendations
Click on the APPLICATION LINK below to view the application and complete instructions.
Application Deadline: 5:00pm on Friday, March 3, 2023
LATE OR INCOMPLETE APPLICATIONS WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED!
SCREENING PROCESS / ACCEPTANCE INTO THE PROGRAM – WHAT TO EXPECT:
- Step 1. Applications are reviewed and screened beginning March 6, 2023
Only those students who meet all eligibility requirements and qualifications will be invited to participate in the video screening (Step 2).
- Step 2. Video Screening (By Invitation Only)
A one-hour video screening will be conducted, which is intended to further assess ASL comprehension, production, and basic translation skills.
- Step 3. Follow-Up Interviews (By Invitation Only)
Follow-up interviews with some applicants may be required to obtain more information about their potential and qualifications.
- Step 4. Notification of Acceptance into the Program
- Application Deadline: Friday, March 03, 2023
- Notification of Invitation to Screen: Monday, April 03, 2023
- Video Screening (By Invitation Only): Approximately April 21, 2023
- Follow-Up Interviews (By Invitation Only): May 2023
- Notification of Acceptance into the Program: June 2023