This is a tutorial only. No log in is required.
You can request a change of major and/or minor online through the CSUN Portal and the SOLAR Student Center. You can add, change or drop a major/minor as long as your request complies with university policy (see "Resources" below). Please note:
- Some impacted majors may not be available for online changes. If the major you want is not available through the online process, please see an academic advisor for that major.
- Before requesting a new major/minor online, please contact an academic advisor for the new major.
Changing your major/minor online involves 4 steps:
- Before you begin, find out which College your major/minor is part of. You’ll need it later in this process.
- Request the change online in the SOLAR Student Center.
- An appropriate academic advisor or administrator will review your request.
- You will receive a notice of the decision by email. You can also check the status of your request online.
Use the Major/Minor Change paper forms if you have already completed 90 units, if your major does not allow online changes, or if you are enrolled in a major through the Tseng College (extension).
- University Catalog: CSUN Majors, CSUN Minors and Major/Minor Policies
- Career Center: Majors, Careers & Pathways
Go to the CSUN home page at www.csun.edu and:
- Open the MyCSUN menu in the top navigation.
- Select the CSUN Portal link.
- Log in with your CSUN user ID and password.
Your CSUN Portal home page displays.
In the Top Tools section, select the Student Center icon link.
The SOLAR Student Center displays.
- Under the Academics heading, select Change Major/Minor from the drop-down menu.
- Then select the Go button.
The Change of Major/Minor page displays text to explain that:
- It's wise to speak with an advisor for your intended new major/minor before filing an online request.
- You can add, change or delete your major(s) and/or minor(s).
- Your request will undergo an approval process.
- You will receive an email with the results of your request.
- You can check the SOLAR Student Center for a decision on the “Change of Major/Minor Status” page.
To find the College of your major/minor, select the CSUN Catalog link. You’ll need to know the College later in this process.
- To exit this page, close the Change Major/Minor tab in your web browser.
- To return to the previous page, choose Student Center from the drop-down menu and then select the “go” icon.
To proceed, select the Next button.
The Restrictions page displays text to explain:
- A few limitations to changing your major/minor online, and
- Why some buttons might be greyed out.
Two boxes also display—one each for your major and minor (if any).
Because the student in this example has only one major, the Delete button is greyed out. (You cannot delete your only major.)
This student can either Add a second major or Change their only major. They can also add a minor.
The CSUN Catalog link on this page lets you look up the College of your major. You won't be able to complete Step 6 without it.
- To change your major, select the Change button in the major box.
A new page displays your intended action in the heading: ADD, CHANGE or DELETE a major/minor.
In this example, CHANGE Major/Minor, the page displays your current major information:
- College name and code
- Major name and code
- Degree objective
To change your major, first look up the Requested College.
- Select the magnifying glass icon.
The Look Up Requested College pop-up window displays a list of Colleges by "academic group code" and "description."
- Select the College of your intended major/minor.
(This student has requested the College of Health and Human Development, code 92.)
Your Requested College name and code now display. Now...
- Look up your Requested Major/Minor.
- Select the magnifying glass icon to view the list of majors in the College you selected.
The Look Up Major/Minor pop-up window lists all the academic program options (i.e., majors and minors) with their Academic Plan codes for the College you previously selected.
Tip: Click the “Description” column heading to sort the program list alphabetically.
- Scroll through the list if needed.
- Select your intended major/minor program by its Academic Plan code.
The student in this example has chosen Public Health Promotion, Academic Plan code 342135B.
Your Requested Major/Minor and new degree objective (Bachelor of Science) now display.
Proofread your selection.
- To go back and change your selection, select Cancel.
- If satisfied with your selection, select Next.
The CONFIRM Change Major/Minor page displays.
Make sure you’ve selected the intended College and major/minor.
- To go back, select Cancel.
- To proceed with your request, choose Submit.
The “approval required” pop-up message displays to remind you that:
- Your request will be reviewed by the College advisor or administrator
- A decision notice will be sent to your CSUN email account
- You can also “Check Major/Minor Status” in the SOLAR Student Center
You can still cancel your request by selecting the Cancel button in the message window.
To proceed, choose OK.
The Change of Major/Minor Request Completed page confirms that your request has been submitted for review.
A confirmation of your request will be sent to your CSUN email account.
- Select the View Change of Major Status link.
The Change of Major/Minor Status page displays the record of your request(s) including:
- Transaction details (date and time, action, College, type, major/minor code and description, degree)
- Status of request (applied, approved, or denied)
- Option to Cancel your request
If you change your mind, return to this page to cancel your Change of Major/Minor. The Cancel button will display until an advisor or administrator replies to your request.
From the “go to” drop-down menu, select Student Center and then the Go button.
The SOLAR Student Center displays.
If you log out, you can return to the SOLAR Student Center later to view the status of your request as follows:
- In the “Academics” section from the “other academic” drop-down menu, choose Check Major/Minor Status.
- Then select the “go” button.
The Change of Major/Minor Status page displays the decision, either approved or denied.
A notice of the decision will also be sent to your CSUN email account.
- To close this page, close the Change Maj/Min Status tab in your web browser.
- To return to the Student Center, select its tab in your browser or use the drop-down menu.
- To return to the CSUN Portal, select the CSUN Student tab in your web browser.
- When done, be sure to LOGOUT (not shown).
Check your CSUN email account for a message stating whether or not your Change of Major/Minor request has been approved.
For degree planning and answers to questions about your new major/minor, please contact your academic advisor.
Degree Planning Tools: