Sede Vacante 1774
(September 22, 1774—February 15, 1775)
Documents concerning the Election of 1774-1775
- Letter of Cardinal de Bernis to the Comte de Vergennes: the state of the Pope's health in decline; death is not far away (August 28, 1774).
- Letter of Msgr. Giorgio D'Adda Salvaterra , Prefect of the Signature of Justice, to his brother, Paolo Camillo, Marchese D'Adda. Illness of the Pope in September, D'Adda on a journey to Assisi (September 10, 1774)
- Cardinal de Bernis to the Comte de Vergennes, on the illness of Pope Clement XIV (September 20, 1774)
- Bernis to Vergennes, on the illness of Pope Clement XIV (September 20, 1774).
- Bernis to Msgr. Durini in Avignon: events of September 20 in the Pope's bedroom (September 21, 1774).
- Cardinal de Bernis to the Comte de Vergennes, on the alleged poisoning of Clement XIV (September 28, 1774)
- List of 43 (of 55) cardinals, evaluated (September (?), 1774).
- Letter of Msgr. D'Adda to his brother: Death of Clement XIV, by poisoning, according to majority of doctors at the autopsy (October 8, 1774)
- Letter of Fr. Francesco Saverio Vasquez, Prior General of the Order of St. Augustine, to the Conde de Roda: poisoning of Pope Clement XIV (October 13, 1774).
- Letter of Bernis to Vergennes: the current state of the Conclave, waiting for arrival of Cardinals from abroad, and for instructions from Spain (October 19, 1774).
- Instructions from the Comte de Vergennes for Cardinals de Luynes and de Bernis (October 24, 1774).
- Giorgio D'Adda to his brother, Marchese D'Adda, on the Conclave, the Pope's confessor Bontempi, and the Case of Signor Bichi, the Prefect of the Grain Supply (October 29, 1774).
- Conde de Florida Blanca, Spanish Ambassador in Rome, to the Marques de Pombal, First Minister of Portugal: the Crowns have more than one-third of the votes (December 8, 1774).
- D'Adda to his brother, lack of progress in the Conclave; consideration of barring Cardinal Castelli from reentering Conclave after forty days of absence (December 10, 1774).
- Florida Blanca to Pombal: arrival of de Solis, who, however, is ill (December 15, 1774).
- Letter of Florida Blanca to Marques de Pombal: Braschi was proposed by the Zelanti on December 24 and 25, but did not succeed (December 29, 1774).
- Msgr. D'Adda to his brother: the Zelanti have lost four adherents, giving them 17 votes and the Royalists 26 (February 11, 1775)
- Cardinal Conti to the Marques de Pombal: on the Election of Pius VI (Braschi) (February 13, 1775)
- Giorgio D'Adda to his brother, on the election of Pope Pius VI (February 15, 1775).
- Conte de Florida Blanca's Recollection of the Conclave of 1774, in a Memorial written for King Charles III on leaving his office (October, 1788).
March 23, 2014 7:33 PM